Help with avionics bay - re-drilling bulkheads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraDrinker

Reaction score
I need some help and advice. I'm building a Madcow 2.2" fiberglass Frenzy XL as my first dual deploy rocket. My threaded rods in the avionics bay are too narrow and I can't fit a 9v battery between them. I can't mount the battery horizontally (no room), nor vertically on the front (no room with my Eggtimer classic), so I need to mount it on the back side of the sled. My thought is to remove the threaded rods, epoxy the holes, and re-drill them slightly wider to allow space for the battery on the backside.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I've thought about it, but I'm not sure I have time to source a new battery, terminal, etc. I've already tested on a 9v and I'm confident everything will work. The other issue is that the mounting hardware is also butting up against the threaded rods making it next to impossible to get the sled on and off the rods.

When you fill the existing holes in the bulkhead, put some painters tape on the inside first. Then, when the epoxy is fully cured, peel it off. Done.

Consider using zip ties to attach your sled, sort of like a hammock.

upload_2019-6-24_12-7-22.png

When you fill the existing holes in the bulkhead, put some painters tape on the inside first. Then, when the epoxy is fully cured, peel it off. Done.

Consider using zip ties to attach your sled, sort of like a hammock.

View attachment 386767

Thanks! I really the zip tie idea as it will put the sled in the center of bay giving a bit more clearance for the altimeter.

You can fill the holes with epoxy as stated, but I have always found that the drill will drift into the first holes. you might try filling with a wooden dowel and then drilling. I have had better luck this way.

Put a slight bevel on top of the wholes you will be filling, so the repairs just don't eventually fall through

Back