Help with a styrofoam cup build

Discussion in 'Oddrocs' started by CKaul04, Oct 30, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 30, 2018 #1

CKaul04

CKaul04

CKaul04

I was looking into the Flis Decafinator, but they went out-of-business before I could order one. Many small styrofoam cup at my disposal. Every website is sold out of the big foam rockets.

Colin

2. Nov 1, 2018 #2

sooner.boomer

sooner.boomer

sooner.boomer

How tall of one do you want to make? Balsa Machining Service has body tube sections in 18" and 34" lengths. Pick the appropriate diameter,mMake a jig to center the hole on the bottom of the cup, then start cutting, stacking and gluing.

3. Nov 1, 2018 #3

CKaul04

CKaul04

CKaul04

Thanks, will try soon

Colin

4. Nov 2, 2018 #4

Gus

Gus

Gus

Decaffeinator and Espresso were both rear ejection models. For the Espresso the main tube was BT50, just long enough to hold the BT5 motor mount, a streamer, and a shock cord attached to a front bulk-plate or plug. The tube went up through the first three cups, then the rest of the cups were just hot-melt-glued to each other, as high as you would like. Fantastic design.

13 years ago my daughter built 5 Espressos for a Science Day demo launch at her school. Attached are photos of her build which should give you an idea of how they go together.

I also never miss an opportunity to thank Jim Flis for this design which taught my daughter and I about rear ejection rockets. It was the first time we'd ever done it. We've used the technique lots and lots very successfully ever since. :) Last two photos are of the same kid and her somewhat more sophisticated two stage double rear-ejection model at this last summer's World Spacemodeling Championships in Poland. Her team, with a couple of slightly older teammates, finished third in the world!

DSCN0551.jpg DSCN0552.jpg DSCN0560.jpg DSCN0559.jpg DSCN0558.jpg DSCN0562.jpg IMG_4842.jpg IMG_4900.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018