Help with a movie title

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosecone

Reaction score
Ring a bell with anyone ? Please

It was about a bunch of German soldiers who take over a man's chalet and and kill his wife (and I think child) he hides in the house and kills them off/terrorizes them. It was a shocking movie like the way the original Wicker Man is shocking. So I know it was on late night TV. In color, before 1991.

Can’t pinpoint it yet but will keep looking. The closest I came was the Osterman Weekend.

I've got nothing for that one but I've got one of my own... It was Australian or New Zealand from the mid-90s, I think... On this guy's birthday, he gets concussed. As a result, he's able to see the world as it really is - run-down, dirty and decrepit. He can also see the database code that runs the augmented reality that he's supposed to see and that everyone else sees.

I think it's 'The Keep' (1983), based on a novel by F Paul Wilson. Soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

At one stage it held the record for the longest pull shot ever screened (zoom out and trolley backwards combined), a technique pioneered by Alfred Hitchcock..

Wasn't it? F Paul Wilson is a great author.

I have the audible version and it was a pure joy to listen to. Got chills down my back. I haven’t listened to any of his other books in the Adversary Cycle, The Tomb aka Repairman Jack being the next one in line.

You know, I shouldn’t have just called The Keep a vampire novel, it’s a VAMPIRE NOVEL! There, that’s much better.

I rate Salem’s Lot as a very good vampire novel, The Keep leaves it in the dust.

Last edited:
This probably isn't it, being released in 2000s, but Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds has the theme of revenge against German soldiers. The main plot revolved around a theater, but I feel like there was a scene were soldiers occupied a cabin and killed some people sparking some of the revenge.

This probably isn't it, being released in 2000s, but Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds has the theme of revenge against German soldiers. The main plot revolved around a theater, but I feel like there was a scene were soldiers occupied a cabin and killed some people sparking some of the revenge.

it was the opening scenes. a French farmer was housing a Jewish family under the house. Only a daughter escaped (who became the theater owner / manager)

I've got nothing for that one but I've got one of my own... It was Australian or New Zealand from the mid-90s, I think... On this guy's birthday, he gets concussed. As a result, he's able to see the world as it really is - run-down, dirty and decrepit. He can also see the database code that runs the augmented reality that he's supposed to see and that everyone else sees.
There is an old Science Fiction short story about people living under a giant dome where everybody is drugged so they don't see and hear how unbearable the environment is.
I wish I could remember the author, I thought it might have been Cordwainer Smith or Clifford Simak but a brief perusing of their writings doesn't seem to support that.

There is an old Science Fiction short story about people living under a giant dome where everybody is drugged so they don't see and hear how unbearable the environment is.
I wish I could remember the author, I thought it might have been Cordwainer Smith or Clifford Simak but a brief perusing of their writings doesn't seem to support that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dosadi_Experiment
not quite the same thing, but close (and a good read!)

At one stage it held the record for the longest pull shot ever screened (zoom out and trolley backwards combined), a technique pioneered by Alfred Hitchcock.
There's a great, but simulated, pull-out at the end of Working Girl (Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver). It starts close on Griffith through her office window and pulls out to cover most of Manhattan, over a Carly Simon song. I've only noticed one changeover from one shot to another.

And it's a terrific movie.

Doesn’t seem to ever come up with anything useful. I even took known movies and a synopsis of their content and never once did it come up with the movie.

One could always give this guy a call 😁:

That’s not the Stephen King novel is it? Under the Dome? But that’s a full length novel.

I know you said it’s not Clifford Simak, but what about this one?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Flesh_is_Grass_(novel)

That movie scared the crap out of my sister & I when it came out on TV..

Ghost Story too..
The movie that scared the bejeesus out of my sisters, my cousins, and me when it came out was The Fog. We went to go see it in Bowling Green, KY. My cousin Amanda drove us to the theater to go see it. As Adrienne Barbeau is describing the path the fog was taking, my cousin whispers, "That's the route back to Grandma's house!"

Turns out John Carpenter spent some time at Western Kentucky University, located in Bowling Green.

Ghost Story too.
For just a moment I thought that was Ghost Two. That thought scared the bejesus out of me.

As Adrienne Barbeau is describing the path the fog was taking, my cousin whispers, "That's the route back to Grandma's house!"
On a similar but innocuous note, my wife and I saw I.Q. at the short-lived movie theatre in Kendall Park, NJ while living in Bensalem, PA. The peri-climax scene takes place in a park at the site of a Revolutionary War battlefield, so on the way home I took a detour down Princeton Pike right past it.

Turns out John Carpenter spent some time at Western Kentucky University, located in Bowling Green.
Did he witness the massacre?

Last edited:
I’m dying from curiosity, what book? It would be a bonus if it’s the story the OP mentioned.
Read on, McDuff.

Post #17:

So, this is the story referred to.

Post #22:
That’s not the Stephen King novel is it? Under the Dome? But that’s a full length novel.
No, that's not it, as we learn next.

Post #24:
When I first read this story, nobody had ever heard of Stephen King.
The barely remembered story predates Stephen King's fame.

Back