Help - Vicious Spray Paint Cycle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOLA_BAR

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've finally been able to finally get decent results with rattle cans. A couple of light coats then a final wet coat. I can get a good wet coat without runs by rotating the model at various angles and looking at the reflection. The problem is with overspray/blowback falling on other parts of the model that are already done. The basic problem is that I get a good final coat on the fins, then while laying down the final coat on the body tube a fin will get some of the over-atomize peripheral spray producing a fine texture. I get a good coat on the fin, parts of the body tube get the same effect. Back and forth it goes. Basically I work to minimize this fine texture effect and call it good enough, but I've never been able to eliminate the problem.

The only solution I can think of is to paint the model in sections, but this will leave paint lines. This is ok if the model will have sections of different colors but on models with just a single color I haven't figured it out. A fan with a filter to pull away overspray? Help, please! I'm doing this outside so a controlled environment is limited.

Thanks!

I can relate. I usually do the fins first, then the body, and yes some overspray from the body ends up on the fins. I haven't found that its a big problem, but I definitely had to make a conscious decision to simply Not Worry About It.

:dontknow:

I can relate. I usually do the fins first, then the body, and yes some overspray from the body ends up on the fins. I haven't found that its a big problem, but I definitely had to make a conscious decision to simply Not Worry About It.

:dontknow:
Yes, thanks, I think I have come to the same conclusion "Not Worry About It."

I'm glad you brought this up and I have the solution to your problem. It will take some work, but the results are worth it. I have always had the same issues. What you do is mask off the fins and paint the body. Once the body has dried completely whether its days or weeks or whatever the time frame. You mask off the body and unmask the fins one at a time and paint them individually keeping the other fins masked at all times. You paint one fin wait until it dries and mask it off and then paint another until they are all painted. Its the only way to get a flawless paint job without the over spray. I know its a PITA and takes a lot of extra work and time, but if you want a nice paint job without all the over spray then this is the way or as mentioned you can wet sand the finish. You will always get some amount of over spray unfortunately if you don't. BTW you don't need future polish because it really doesn't work as well. If you want a mirror like finish after you paint the rocket go over it with several lite coats of clear. After the clear has dried wet sand the finish and rub out the finish by hand using a car polish that will remove the fine sanding marks. Always start with some like 800 and finish with 2000 or 3000 grit. Nathan who is a member on here has the process down. His paint jobs are by far the nicest I've seen, but you have to ask yourself how much time you want to put into them. You don't really have to go through all that. If you find some imperfections with your paint job after you finished painting just carefully wet sand those areas and spray the rest of the rocket with clear and leave it alone. It will look great. Just be really careful not to sand through the top coat.

If the model design is not too complicated without too many nooks and crannies,
Here's how I try get a more even finish:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2015/08/paint-rotisserie-tip.html
Hello, thanks. This is how I do all of my rockets now. For larger rockets I have a PVC stand where the wand sticks through a 3-way coupler and a small piece of PVC that allows me to rotate the model. The rocket is right at about chest height. The last bit of overspray always gets me though. I can minimize it, but not eliminate it.

I'm glad you brought this up and I have the solution to your problem. It will take some work, but the results are worth it. I have always had the same issues. What you do is mask off the fins and paint the body. Once the body has dried completely whether its days or weeks or whatever the time frame. You mask off the body and unmask the fins one at a time and paint them individually keeping the other fins masked at all times. You paint one fin wait until it dries and mask it off and then paint another until they are all painted. Its the only way to get a flawless paint job without the over spray. I know its a PITA and takes a lot of extra work and time, but if you want a nice paint job without all the over spray then this is the way or as mentioned you can wet sand the finish. You will always get some amount of over spray unfortunately if you don't. BTW you don't need future polish because it really doesn't work as well. If you want a mirror like finish after you paint the rocket go over it with several lite coats of clear. After the clear has dried wet sand the finish and rub out the finish by hand using a car polish that will remove the fine sanding marks. Always start with some like 800 and finish with 2000 or 3000 grit. Nathan who is a member on here has the process down. His paint jobs are by far the nicest I've seen, but you have to ask yourself how much time you want to put into them. You don't really have to go through all that. If you find some imperfections with your paint job after you finished painting just carefully wet sand those areas and spray the rest of the rocket with clear and leave it alone. It will look great. Just be really careful not to sand through the top coat.
Hello, thanks. Somehow I always knew it was not going to be easy. I’m going to try your masking approach next. I’m in no particular hurry. Thanks for the reply.

You could always paint the parts before gluing them together. I've never had much success with that.

Blue Scotch tape is your friend. I first put down 2 layers of primer. First layer sand with 200ish grit, second 400ish grit. I wait at least an hour between coats. Spray with the lighter color first and wet sand after an hour and 2nd coat. Wait a day or two before applying the blue tape or it will smudge the paint. I use a hobby knife to cut away the tape and peel away. Personally, I love clear lacquer but you have to wait many days before spraying over enamel (it's generally not advised but I think clear enamel is lame). In the end, spray paint is more of an art than a science.

IMG_E6043[1].JPG

Back