Help Please, I'm not sure what device to get.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings All,
I watch TV in bed on my computer late at night.
The problem I have is to hear people talking I have to have the volume set rather high.
When music plays or there are action scenes the sound is way to loud.
I have the Altec Lansing ADA-305 simulated surround sound system for my computer.
The base will literally vibrate things off the wall.
My wife has a set of really nice bluetooth (what ever that is) ear pods she is willing let me use.

I'm thinking there must be some kind of device I can plug into the speaker jack in the front of my computer that put the sound to the ear pods.
When searching for such a device, I am confused at all the different items.
Some have 3.5mm jacks, some with USB. I think my speakers will work with USB, but I've always used the 3.5mm jack.
The devices range in cost from $5 to over $100.
So I'm hoping someone with greater knowledge than I can point me to a device closer to the $5 range.
If you need more info on the ear pods, which are wireless, I'll ask my wife about them and reply to you questions.
Happy Monday Everyone!

Bluetooth is a method of wireless communication between devices.

If your computer (presumably a laptop if you're using it in bed) also has bluetooth, then all you should need to do is pair your wife's earbuds with your laptop and you should be good to go. If your laptop doesn't have bluetooth then you'll have to look for a different device. I've posted a help page on pairing bluetooth devices to a windows computer below.

Hope this helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-2be7b51f-6ae9-b757-a3b9-95ee40c3e242

I hate that about the sound on modern films. They are designed for Dolby Surround in the theater, and it does not translate well to small, home speakers. I am constantly turning volume up and down. I have always thought a compressor might be a good solution, but I've never bothered messing with it.

If it's got wifi chances are nowadays it also has Bluetooth, go to your notification center (little bubble on the bottom right) and hit connect. You might get lucky and save yourself a few bucks.

Woody, how far is the computer from your bed?

I know this may sound a bit crazy in today's wireless world, but if your computer or sound system has a 3.5 mm audio port, you may do well to just get an extension cable for that and use wired earbuds or headphones. Nothing to charge, nothing to bother pairing, just plug and play.

If it's got wifi chances are nowadays it also has Bluetooth, go to your notification center (little bubble on the bottom right) and hit connect. You might get lucky and save yourself a few bucks.

I just put a new wifi card in it because the one that came with the computer wasn't giving good performance anymore.
It's 6 years old now.
I see the square that says not connected. I clicked on it and it turned it off.
So I'm guessing I have bluetooth? Which I don't understand.
I'll have to wait until the wife gets home and get her ear buds.
If this works, WOWEE, saved some cash!!!
Thank You Kindly!!!

Woody, how far is the computer from your bed?

I know this may sound a bit crazy in today's wireless world, but if your computer or sound system has a 3.5 mm audio port, you may do well to just get an extension cable for that and use wired earbuds or headphones. Nothing to charge, nothing to bother pairing, just plug and play.

I thought about that. But my head phones are finicky and only work on occasion for some reason.
The computer is only 30" from the foot of my bed, so it's ain't far at all.
So I would have to buy new head phones too going that route.
And they are not comfortable to ware in bed, I move around a lot because of my back.

That Blue Tooth thingy on my computer seams to be for connecting to a Blue Tooth Router?
I played with it for a few hours last night trying to get it to work with Wife's ear buds, no luck.
I clicked on everything and went places I didn't know existed in Windows, but couldn't figure it out.
I thing I'm better off going with my original plan and buy some device to plug into the speaker jack that transmits in Blue Tooth to the ear buds.
But with my knowledge, that is no guarantee either!

Blue tooth pairs with (connects to) devices like earbuds. There isn't really a Bluetooth router. The usual way it works is that you put the earbuds or other device into pairing mode, and they send out a "here I am! Find me!" signal. While that is going on, you go into the computer's Bluetooth settings and choose "Find device" or something similar. The buds should show up; you click on them and confirm the pairing. Then you set them to be your audio output device if this doesn't happen automagically.

@Woody's Workshop : routers are basically just a wifi thing... Are you certain you aren't confusing wifi and Bluetooth settings?

If your plan is to buy a device to connect Bluetooth headphones, I'd highly recommend a usb to Bluetooth adapter. Any device you find that is aux to Bluetooth is most likely designed for a car and will require external power by usb anyway.

I could be confusing the two, I have no idea.
I know my computer didn't show the ear buds showing up on the any of the blue tooth pages I opened.
One is for sure, actually two.
I have no idea what I'm doing, and I don't know enough to make them work.

I could be confusing the two, I have no idea.
I know my computer didn't show the ear buds showing up on the any of the blue tooth pages I opened.
One is for sure, actually two.
I have no idea what I'm doing, and I don't know enough to make them work.
Woody, this might help. The earbuds will have a way to enter "pairing mode" which is the first step. If you look at their instructions/manual it will tell you how to do it. The buds won't show up until you get them into pairing mode; this is a security feature.

Thank You Kindly for all the help.
I'll try it later.
I have much bigger problems.
Just picked up the Ranger from a tune up.
#3 cylinder is very low on compression (almost 400,000 miles)
We owe them almost $300, and now we have to get another vehicle.
There is no budget for it. Where the money is going to come from I have no idea.
I feel deep depression returning, throw in the towel kind...
Not to mention we are over $1000 behind in rent paying for all the repairs on the truck...

Last edited:
Back