Help Pick a Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

Reaction score
So tax season is here and I'm thinking my gift to myself this year might be a rocket kit. So far I have only come up with the Madcow 2.6 Bomarc or Jayhawk. I'm afraid I might be overlooking other kits along the same criteria though.

I'm looking for something in the 2.5 to 3 inch range, 29mm motor (F/G), scale of course and along the lines of cruise missile or drone. Not that there is anything wrong with Madcow, but are there any other choices that I am overlooking? I just don't want to overlook other opportunities.

Thanks,
-Bob

North Coast Rocketry only has one scale kit and it is not along the lines of a cruise missile or drone. They use to have a Bomarc but that kit is long out of production

Cosmodrome Rocketry has scale kits but not along the lines of a cruise missile or drone

LOC has some scale kits but nothing along the lines of a cruise missile or drone

It's not an easy list to come up with

-Bob

North Coast Rocketry only has one scale kit and it is not along the lines of a cruise missile or drone. They use to have a Bomarc but that kit is long out of production

Cosmodrome Rocketry has scale kits but not along the lines of a cruise missile or drone

LOC has some scale kits but nothing along the lines of a cruise missile or drone

It's not an easy list to come up with

-Bob
Missed the drone or missile requirements - oops!

No worries, I appreciate you trying to help.

I'm wondering if there might be a manufacturer that makes a rocket that would interest me that maybe isn't known for scale rockets. Like the company Composite Warehouse. They have a very nice looking Bullpup in a few sizes. There's also a company called SBR that makes a nice large Honest John along with several sport rockets.

-Bob

I was just researching the Madcow Jayhawk on TRG and I saw that Wildman also has a 2.6 Jayhawk. It's a 38mm instead of a 29mm. It's also fiberglass and weighs more than twice what the Madcow weighs. I also discovered the tail cone is no where near scale on either of them... Guess that is why I scratch building my rockets lately.

The Rocketarium Jayhawk is much closer to scale with the tail cone being longer and it has the conduit on the bottom. Too bad it is smaller than I want to build.

Bob

I know it is not a cruise missile or drone, but Apogee has a X 15. I'm pretty sure it is 29mmt.

It does have wings like a cruise missile or drone though. I've seen a few builds on TRFt and I saw it on the Apogee website last night.

Thanks,
-Bob

Hi Bob, I scratched one about the same size.

With a super paint job!

-Bob

I was just researching the Madcow Jayhawk on TRG and I saw that Wildman also has a 2.6 Jayhawk. It's a 38mm instead of a 29mm. It's also fiberglass and weighs more than twice what the Madcow weighs. I also discovered the tail cone is no where near scale on either of them... Guess that is why I scratch building my rockets lately.

The Rocketarium Jayhawk is much closer to scale with the tail cone being longer and it has the conduit on the bottom. Too bad it is smaller than I want to build.

Bob
Keep an eye out for the Estes Pro Series Jayhawk on eBay. They show up every now and then. Also someone might be interested in selling one here.

Hi Cosmo, do you have any info on them yet? Dave.
The only info I have is that it's taking longer than I want to get it converted to the laser. My primary job just moved offices and I haven't gotten any Vostok work done last week due to exhaustion from the move. I'm planning on getting the core tube slotting program written today, then I can assemble a core section. Next will be to get the core shrouds cut out (no more templates to trace and cut out). I'll also start working on the payload section this week. Body tubes will be ordered next week.

mike

Are you trying to get me interested in building some big, bulky, ungainly steampunk looking thing instead of a sleek looking rocket with wings? Is that why it is being brought up in this thread? :)

-Bob

From another topic thread about the status of The Launch Pad website and kits. TLP kits and plan packs are very old school scale missiles - paper shrouds, “witches’ hats” for scale nose cones, fins cut from sheet goods - I have a couple kits from before the owner retired and shut down. Didn’t realize Uncle Mike’s had this many plan packs available...

Fins are never supplied as pre-cut, it's balsa sheet and paper templates to cut your own. Nearly all the parts are standard fare tubes, centering rings, etc. Uncle Mikes still has some of the 'plan packs' avaialable.

https://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/TLP/Plan_Packs/Plan_Packs.html

TLP did produce some awesome kits back in the day but never a Bomarc, Jayhawk or anything with wings as best I can tell. The website still works.

It's starting to look like there will be another scratch build by Bob...

-Bob

That looks fairly easy to build. I think I could easily kit bash a Super Bertha into one.
Tomahawk_cruise_missile_.jpg

I have plans to bash a regular bertha into a Mace that could easily upscaled to use a super bertha instead
Mace 1.jpg

But I am kinda leaning toward this
Firebolt.jpg

AQM-81 Firebolt. It was a further development of the AQM-37 Jayhawk. I like the entire lineup of Jayhawk/SAGMI/HSAT drones.

I was just hoping to take a break from scratching with a kit. Maybe I'll do that by building a bashing a Der Big Max when I finish my current projects (Cuda and Peregrine) before I start the next scale build.

-Bob

Last edited:
BQM-74E Chukar target drone:
BQM-74E-target-drone-08-205.jpg
PM_15_BQM-74E_0029-1.jpg
I was thinking of scratching this a few months ago.
Notice the similarities design wise to the Tomahawk.
But now I'm leaning towards a Centuri Magnum D Tomahawk clone.

That is an interesting drone but dimensioned drawings would be the hold up :(

-Bob

Back