Help pick a good first mid-power kit...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaryenbruch

Reaction score
I am getting back in to rocketry after being away for a while and want to build a mid-power kit. I have a few things in mind that I would require of the kit but other than that I am open to opinions. The two things I am looking for are a kit that is built robustly (to the motor mount fins, ply fins, strong motor mount, etc.) and preferably a larger size rocket that performs good in "low" altitude flights as I may be limited in field size. What recommendations can everybody here provide?
Thanks,
SAB

Aerotech Mustang!

Tough and easy to build. Flys on an Estes E9 (I'm told) all the way up to a "G".

Pretty too!

sandman

I believe www.hobbylinc.com has the LOC IV on sale for about 50 dollars. It's 4" in diam. I believe the fins are through the wall & connect to the motor tube. If you go to the site, go to Rockets & then click on specials.

I put my vote in for the Wart-Hog or the Mustang. The Mustang goes a bit higher, and yes it will fly on anything from E9 to G80. I'm sure someone out there has put an H in one too.

Blue

I would have to say all the moderately priced Aerotech Kits are good Middy kits, but the Mustang transistions better from low to mid, and costs are nice as well. Also pick-up the 24/40 casing for great reload options, as well as the 29/40-120 casing. These are consumer use reload casings from Aerotech that have a lot of reload options available to fly in them.

Johnnie Paul

The Aerotech Mustang is a great move into mid power, but can get pretty high for a small field. If you are used to building Estes, Quest type kits, I would suggest a LOC Graduator. The LOC IV is a good large kit for low flying on F's and G's, and can be used for a L1 certification flight also. If you want really robust in a small package, the PML Tiny Pterodactyl is a good one. It's a bit small in size, but has a really big heart :)

Definately the Initiator! It got me started a few years back. Great kit! Easy assembly with some work involved, though, that will reinforce good building techniques. Good flights on E's through G's. Ejection baffle, beautiful chute, great kit!!

I would suggest any of the 2" Yank kits. They fill all your requirements and are priced great at HobbyLinc and they ship fast too.

Zippy

Aerotech Mustang was my first MPR, and I would recommend it to anyone! Or it's 3-finned cousin the Aerotech Arreaux. Either one is great!

Raised hand for the AeroTech Mustang. Great styling, solid as a tank and flies superbly on many motors 24-29mm. There are many great MPR kits but the Mustang is a great place to start.

And that is my opinion......

I'd have to vote for the Aerotech Initiator as well. Its a little heavier than the Mustang and flies great on E-16s through G-64 reloads. I'm sure it flies great on single use motors in that range as well. Its real sturdy as are all the Aerotech midpowered rockets. Its probably my most flown rocket, and always performs flawlessly...........Larry

The reloadable motor hardware is a little tough to come by right now especially the 24/40.

Agreeing on the Initiator. Good sized rocket, and can take a large variety of motors - low and slow on an E, or let it rip on a G! I love this rocket on F40's! That engine was built for the Initiator!

Loopy

My 1st mid was the Aerotech Arreaux (pronounced Aero), and it too loved the F40-10. Looks great on a G64-10 as well.

Johnnie Paul

My vote would be the Aerotech Wart-hog.......... It flies great on F25s, F50s and G40s

let me put in a good word for the Initiator.

my son (6 years old) put one together, pretty much by himself. I had to help pushing the final MMT ring in. and of course I do all the spray painting, but he did the stickers.

we put an E18-4 RMS in it. it rocked!! unfortunately there was no event so it came in ballistic, on to asphault. OUCH!!

but he got over it pretty quick when we realized that all the parts were intact, just the body tube was crumpled. so $6 later we have a new body tube (two actually, thanks a2z!!) and $8 later we have a new set of stickers (thanks Discount Rocketry).

we're happy that AeroTech sells all the parts and the stock is available.

(at first I thought we got the infamous "bonus delay" but now I realize he probably dumped the ejection black powder out, from carrying it not-upright. I thought I had taped it on well enough but perhaps not ...)

I also have to throw my vote in for the Aerotech Initiator. To me the Initiator is to mid-power what the Estes Alpha is to model rocketry - everyone should build at least one in their lifetime!

Well, I can't really offer much advice for a first midpower rocket because mine was scratchbuilt using Estes parts and it carried a disposable camera. Yes, I went the whole 9 yards. It was ~4ft. tall, 2.5inches wide, and flew on 29mm motors. My first midpower motor was a G38-7 in the Eye in the Sky 1 that I was just teling you about. It flew to, I guess, 1500', took a picture and came in without a parachute. The snap swivel broke (don't use these for midpower, use quick links) and the parachute floated away and the rocket fell. The payload tube and camera mount were destroyed but the camera still worked and I got a great picture from my first camera rocket that was also my first midpower rocket and it flew on my first midpower motor. My second midpower rocket was the Eye in the Sky 2, another scratchbuilt this time form PML parts. My 3rd midpower rocket was the Estes V2 that I modded for 29mm motors. So I guess you could say it was my first midpower kit. If not that, the Aerotech Mirage was my first real midpower kit. Then I have scratchbuilt two more midpower rockets and was recently given a LOC 4inch prototype V2. Now I am working on my first high power rocket (check high power section).

I would suggest and PML rocket for entry into midpower. I love there parts, very strong and durable and look nice too. If not that, go for the BSD Horizon. If you get the 4 inch you can fly it on midpower and highpower (Level 1 and 2). Well that is my two cents. :)

Use the AT IQSY Tomahawk. Great kit, and it has a decent size payload bay, enough for an altimeter or any size camera. It was my first mid power. Great rocket. Wait around a bit and you could use one of my kits, but I doubt you want to wait 2 or 3 months for your first mid power, now do you? Use the tomahawk. TERRIFIC rocket. Nothing wrong about it. Whack the motor hooks engine block on the motor hook (that little thing on the upper end of the motor hook that normally goes into the motor mount). Just take a rock or a hammer and give it a few good whacks. then just take a wrap of tape and put it around the nozzel end of the case (the reloads come with this already), and you can use anything up to an I200 in it!!!!! Great rocket. Highly reccomended (at least by me)

sbaryenbruch,
Just wondering if you made a decision on a kit yet? I am finishing up my first mid power kit now. (Intiator)

I went with that since the Initiator is included in Aerotech's starter set. They also had a video on the web site of an Initiator being constructed. I followed along. The thing is so well thought out and constructed, I didn't really feel like I "built" it. More like just put it together.

I'm sure the other Aerotech kits mentioned would be a similar experience.

The Aerotech Initiator and Mustang have gotten a lot of votes here and they definitely deserve them. I would recommend getting the Initiator starter set that includes the RMS hardware (RMS 29/120, I think). It gives you everything you need to get started: launch pad, launch controller, a rocket and RMS hardware. It doesn't include any igniters or reloads but you can get them separately without any problems. E-Hobbies has it on sale for 179.99:

https://www.ehobbies.com/1004-4537.html

You might it cheaper somewhere else but I don't think it's bad deal at all at that price. Once you've built and flown the Initiator you are going to want more. I recommend the mustang next and then, though it can be pricey, the G-Force. If the Initiator is the equivalent of an Estes Alpha then the G-Force is like the Estes Big Bertha. A great first "big" rocket kit. It is only supposed to fly on G's but can be modified for HPR. On G's the, G-force only goes to about 800 feet so it should work for small fields. It is impressive lifting off too. It's my favorite demo rocket!:D

Back