Help out a noob!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vitamin,

the Fry's stores around here carry Quest rockets, motors, and starter kits. also they have micro maxx which are pretty cool too!

you have one close to you, in Renton:

RENTON, WA
800 Garden Ave. North
(425) 525-0200
FAX (425) 525-0218

call them first to see if they stock rockets.

also you might try Toys R Bust - our local one carrys kits, ready-to-fly, starter kits, and motors. I got a great deal on the Estes 24 pack motor assortment, $25. and when you are ready for medium and high power you can get a Ralphco crayon from them :)

if all else fails you might try Wal-Mart but I hesitate to suggest them because they are an unethical business - even worse than toys R bust! but that would at least get you started!!

last, take some time to find a club nearby and a hobby shop. you'll get lots of good help for free and see other people's fun projects and might even save you from losing a rocket or two.

Concerning paint the rocket: what paints do I use? Any good brand? etc...

How long would it take to build the Estes Alpha 3? I'm new :(

BTW: I'm in the procces of getting a rocket! 17 bucks + 7.50 hazmat shipping.

Alpha 3: It would probably take less than a day to build. For paint, I recommend Testor's spray enamel.

I don't think the Alpha three needs paint. When I do paint, I use mostly Krylon spray and sometimes plasticote or Duplicolor. I would suggest starting with a paint that says "recoat anytime."

Vite,
Alpha III out of the starter set does not need paint, just testors plastic glue, the stuff in the orange tube for about $1 at Hobbylobby. Oh, you may need yellow glue, it's the Yellow Elmers Carpenters glue. Get 2 bottles, you are going to use it all up after that first launch buying more rox !!!!

Just an idea, but find a rocketeer in your area to help you build your starter bird, and then help you fly it. My experience is you are going to be real uneasy about S/N #1, after that, it get's easier, even as the rocket building skill level increases. . . .

bdhiii was my mentor, and had he not been around, I would have missed out on literally tons of fun (and disappointment, but I've ventured off into scratch building, and cato's occur, but they are rare).

Get after it !!!!

Here's a link to an altitude predictor I use sometimes. It seams a bit generous, so your rocket may not quite get as high as it says, but it's a quick and easy estimate. All you really need to input is the weight and diameter of the rocket, and then select a motor.

https://webalt.markworld.com

slim

Back