Help Needed with a Triac

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Got all of the stuff to build my hot wire foam cutter.
Now have a question about the Triac.
I can see from the high-speed diagrams how to install the Triac, but...
In the bag with it is a smaller bag that contains two little parts.
One is a little white plastic "bushing whatsis".
I say bushing whatsis as oppesed to a washer whatsis because it is more than just a washer whatsis; it has a part that fits into the hole in the tab on the Triac.
Like this-

triacbushing.jpg

The other thingee is a piece of transparent plastic also with a hole that matches the hole in the Triac tab.
Similiar to this-

triacplasticthingee.jpg

Now, as luck would have it, those holes and slot in the bottom of the thingee line up with the prongs on bottom of the Triac.

I'm guessing that the plastic thingee goes over the prongs and the hole lines up with the hole in the tab and somehow the bushing whatsis goes in there as well and a little bolt goes in to hole the heat sink on.

But in what order?

A - B - C?

triacwhichversion.jpg

The plastic thingee represented by the green will not reach by going up around the other side of the Triac.

And I do know about the gate.
But thanks for thinking to point that out to me.

And what moron came up with the idea of making electronics so stinking small?
These aren't even that small, but jeez...
Seeing them is easy, it's the handling.

Thanks,

Greg

The correct answer is A.

The device may need to be bolted to something metal, either a frame to support it or a heat sink. The plastic bushing insulates the triac from the bolt; the thin piece of plastic insulates the back of the triac from the lump of metal to which the triac is being bolted.

If you're not bolting the triac to anything, you can leave out the plastic bits.

Cool.
Thanks.
Now I guess I should throw in the last option that I neglected before.
With a heat sink.

Again A - B - C?

triacheatsink.JPG

Sorry I forgot about that part.
And according to the pic in the directions it appears to be free standing.

The picture in the link I gave above shows what you are asking about. Note that the "cool rib" is just another name for the type of heatsink he is using.

Chuck

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Cool.
Thanks.
Now I guess I should throw in the last option that I neglected before.
With a heat sink.

Again A - B - C?
As I said:
The correct answer is A.

The device may need to be bolted to something metal, either a frame to support it or a heat sink. :D

Back