Help needed on history of sport rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will,

That's a great idea . . . This book is over 650 pages !

I will advise . . .

Dave F.

Hi!

Has there perhaps been any developments in the meantime? Any way how I/we could help?

I would love to use this book for a project of ours at WüSpace. We're building an autorotation based descent mechanism to replace parachutes, for sample return and similar use cases. Here's a link if anyone is interested: https://www.wuespace.de/daedalus/daedalus2/

In particular we're trying to find an optimal solution for roll stabilisation with active fins.

Thanks for your effort! :)

Has there perhaps been any developments in the meantime? Any way how I/we could help?

Update :

The book scanning service had been closed, due to Covid. They are now re-open, as of last week, and are catching up on their "backlog" of un-scanned items.
I have been advised that they should be caught up in the next 4-5 weeks.

The book is 650 pages and for "non-destructive" scanning, they charge $ .32 / page . . . So, 650 X .32 = $ 208.00 ( So far, I have received $ 65.00 in private donations, which is much appreciated ) . . .

Donations are most welcome, if you are so inclined - Thank you ! ( PM me for Paypal info ).

Their normal "turn-around time" is 2 - 3 weeks ( probably longer now ).

Dave F.

Last edited:
Update :

The book scanning service had been closed, due to Covid. They are now re-open, as of last week, and are catching up on their "backlog" of un-scanned items.
I have been advised that they should be caught up in the next 4-5 weeks.

The book is 650 pages and for "non-destructive" scanning, they charge $ .32 / page . . . So, 650 X .32 = $ 208.00 ( So far, I have received $ 65.00 in private donations, which is much appreciated ) . . .

Donations are most welcome, if you are so inclined - Thank you ! ( PM me for Paypal info ).

Their normal "turn-around time" is 2 - 3 weeks ( probably longer now ).

Dave F.
Hey Dave, tried sending an email but it bounced back. Please send me your address again and I’ll send a check. Steve Hillyer

Hi, Steve !sm

There were a couple more errors discovered, along with 2 ( I think ) missing illustrations. Dr. Mandell was notified and I am waiting on his corrections.

I really hate "hurry up & wait" situations !

Dave F.
Well, I'm starting through Mr. Bengen's section, but it's a real drag... No, not really, just elementary fluid mechanics. I can't resist a pun... I'll try to look real close. Time is slowly starting to open up for more leisurely pursuits (and I do mean 🐌 slowly! You could check out my retirement thread in the watering hole.)
I've been updating my copy with the errata list you sent and so far all makes sense; I haven't found any more than the one missing Figure 52 I sent you earlier.
I'll keep in touch. Thanks for all that you are doing to facilitate this, let me know if there is anything else that I can do.

Last edited:
Well, I'm starting through Mr. Bengen's section, but it's a real drag... No, not really, just elementary fluid mechanics. I can't resist a pun... I'll try to look real close. Time is slowly starting to open up for more leisurely pursuits (and I do mean 🐌 slowly! You could check out my retirement thread in the watering hole.)
I've been updating my copy with the errata list you sent and so far all makes sense; I haven't found any more than the one missing Figure 52 I sent you earlier.
I'll keep in touch. Thanks for all that you are doing to facilitate this, let me know if there is anything else that I can do.

Thank you, sir . . . I will be sure to reach out, if needed.

Dave F.

Hi, Steve !

There were a couple more errors discovered, along with 2 ( I think ) missing illustrations. Dr. Mandell was notified and I am waiting on his corrections.

Dave F.
No worries. It’s important that it’s done correctly. Thank you for your thoroughness.

Thank you, sir . . . I will be sure to reach out, if needed.

Dave F.
Hey Dave. Any updates? Do you know if any of the original authors have any copies they would be willing to part with? I am aware of their rarity and value and would pony up the $ for a signed copy. Please advise.

Hi, Steve !

Dave F.
Any news? Thanks for taking on this great project!

Hey Dave. Any updates? Do you know if any of the original authors have any copies they would be willing to part with? I am aware of their rarity and value and would pony up the $ for a signed copy. Please advise.

Hi, Steve

Things are finally beginning to wind down and it looks like we are in the home-stretch.
I will contact Dr. Mandell about the possibility of getting copies of TIAMR signed by the authors.

Dave F.

That article is full of unalderated Bull s***.

George James wasn't even close to.inventing the BP model rocket motor.

Mr Bill Colburn ought to be ashamed of himself for even asserting that crap.

I've read every newsletter that George James wrote when he was a teenager, and he was making pyrotechnic sky rocket engines. Which were the precursors to Orville Carlise's model rocket motor.

In fact Orv Carlise was well aware of BP end burners in the fireworks trade, that were were called Drivers.

G.Harry Stine himself said that Orv should never had gotten his patent, and it was just a version of known fireworks pyrotecnics.

His pamphlet which I have a pdf copy uses the words Model Rocket, but he learned that term from reading ARS newsletters , as the experimental committe in the mid 30's to early 40's launched what they called model rockets powered by pyrotechnic skyrocket motors. AND they had parachutes. Skyrockets had parachutes going back at least a hundred years.

I can show you pics of what look like model rockets that date to the 1860's.

I'll post what I have in the next few days and you can judge for yourself.

George S. James Bulletin of the Glendale Rocket Society

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Bulletins/K3MPAAAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1
I have more if anybody is interested.

The attachments below show that Roy Healy coined the term Model Rocket(s) in 1941. He has a crater, Healy, named after him on the Moon.

The first Model Rockets were powered by pyrotechnic (fireworks) skyrocket BP motors.

Now you know the rest of the story, The Pre-History of Model Rocketry.

Attachments

• Model Rockets Rocket Building for Modelers.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • astronautics_no_051.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • astronautics_no_043.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • astronautics_no_044.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • astronautics_no_038.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • ARS Journal stuff.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 1
  • AIAA-10266-678.pdf
    682.9 KB · Views: 1
  • AIAA-10233-431.pdf
    217.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If you're still looking for science articles written by G H Stine, try analog magazine

Hi, Steve

Things are finally beginning to wind down and it looks like we are in the home-stretch.
I will contact Dr. Mandell about the possibility of getting copies of TIAMR signed by the authors.

Dave F.
Just checking in to see if there’s news or if you need any help. Thanks again for working on this!

Hi, Will,

I just got what I hope is the last set of revisions. We are finally almost ready to get this completed. I never envisioned such a long, drawn-out process when I started this.

Dave F.
It will all be worth it in the end. As a lucky longtime owner of a copy of TIAMR that's been nearly unobtainable for years, I'm excited for everyone to be able to enjoy the book soon!

Thanks again for you hard work on this!

Hi, Will,

I just got what I hope is the last set of revisions. We are finally almost ready to get this completed. I never envisioned such a long, drawn-out process when I started this.

Dave F.
Hi Dave, glad to see it’s coming together finally. Do you have a ballpark estimate when the final product will be available? Thanks buddy!

Hey folks,

I'm putting together a presentation on sport rocketry for my university physics club. I'd like to include a brief history of the hobby. Can anyone provide useful info? I'm looking mainly for key events and dates.

Thanks!
I've seen a few videos on youtube with history of Estes and history of Centuri. I thought they were interesting but I don't know how factually correct they were.

@Ez2cDave Any updates on TIAMR?

I just got a copy on interlibrary loan, but I won't have it long enough to really go through it all so I'm very interested in the status of the scanning. Thanks!

Last edited:
I know I didn’t have anything to do with the initial legwork to make this happen, or contribute in any way. And that this was a substantial investment, so I don’t want to come off as sounding entitled to the end result. I’m just happy that it’s getting done, and genuinely interested in the digital copy when it’s available since I can’t find my own. I hope it’s still coming along, and thanks for the effort you put into this!

Does anyone know if Dave F. (Ez2cDave) is on TRF anymore? This project seems to have just dropped off.

I am a little confused on the previous comments on a missing Figure 52. That figure is on page 471. Is there a different one that is missing?

Does anyone have the most up to date errata for this book?

Thanks!

Dave S.

Back