Help needed on history of sport rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it hasn't already been mentioned, the LDRS book (https://www.hpr2space.com/) has a wealth of background and history not just of Tripoli & LDRS but also NAR and even some history pre-dating NAR.
Im glad you are enjoying the book. I included a great deal of NAR history in the book because high power’s roots are in model rocketry. You will find the beginnings with G Harry Stine and Orville Carlisle up through the conflicts with early high power, and the NAR’s ultimate entry into high power and the NAR’s significant contributions to the hobby, including the joint battle the NAR and Tripoli waged against the ATF. Mark C.

Im glad you are enjoying the book. I included a great deal of NAR history in the book because high power’s roots are in model rocketry. You will find the beginnings with G Harry Stine and Orville Carlisle up through the conflicts with early high power, and the NAR’s ultimate entry into high power and the NAR’s significant contributions to the hobby, including the joint battle the NAR and Tripoli waged against the ATF. Mark C.
When's MHPR3 coming out :-D

Welcome to the forum! It's very good to see such an experienced and knowledgeable fellow on board!

Yes, but earlier representatives of ATF had considered rocket motors that used APCP to be “propellant actuated devices” and were exempt from the regulations. That changed in 1994 at the NFPA meeting in SLC where new ATF representatives took a different position.

APCP was on the explosives list since the first list had been published. It was not until the late 1990's that BATFE began enforcement.

I have a hardback copy of "Topics In Advanced Model Rocketry", with dust jacket.

Keep watching for a "development" regarding it, in the not too distant future !

Dave F.

I have a copy too, with DJ. About 10 years ago I'd entered several chapters of it into Word, with equations. Nobody seemed interested in my continuing with it. Files are around here somewhere.

Now that I think about it, I believe I'd scanned the whole thing, and was OCRing it, correcting the OCR, and entering equations with the equation editor, but using the same diagrams. Can't remember if I'd run it all through the OCR.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Mark!

I have a copy too, with DJ. About 10 years ago I'd entered several chapters of it into Word, with equations. Nobody seemed interested in my continuing with it. Files are around here somewhere.

Now that I think about it, I believe I'd scanned the whole thing, and was OCRing it, correcting the OCR, and entering equations with the equation editor, but using the same diagrams. Can't remember if I'd run it all through the OCR.

I have requested the PDF from MIT, but as I haven't heard anything for a couple of days I don't know if I'll get it. But they have it. I'm considering a software called "Scientific Notebook" (etc, they have several titles). In that software, you can write typeset quality math and text (with some version of LATEX), and illustrations, graphs and so on, which is exactly what this book is, and the math and graphs can be live. Mathcad can as well, but is not up to speed with the word processing and typeset quality math & graphics. It's a very good math whiteboard program though, we've used it for 30+ years at my company.

I have requested the PDF from MIT, but as I haven't heard anything for a couple of days I don't know if I'll get it. But they have it. I'm considering a software called "Scientific Notebook" (etc, they have several titles). In that software, you can write typeset quality math and text (with some version of LATEX), and illustrations, graphs and so on, which is exactly what this book is, and the math and graphs can be live. Mathcad can as well, but is not up to speed with the word processing and typeset quality math & graphics. It's a very good math whiteboard program though, we've used it for 30+ years at my company.

Gentlemen,

I guess it's time to "let the cat out of the bag", regarding "Topics In Advanced Model Rocketry".

I have been in contact with Gordon Mandell, since last year. He has been in contact with Bengen & Caporaso.

To make a long story short, the three of them contacted M.I.T. and reclaimed their Copyright of the book. M.I.T. no longer has publication rights.

With that said, all three of them have granted me, in writing, sole permission to duplicate the book, in its entirety, for the purpose of distribution in the Public Domain, FREE OF CHARGE . . . Say goodbye to $500 books !

Unfortunately, COVID-19 put the project on hold, until recently. I recontacted the company I am going to use to have the book professionally duplicated, in electronic format. The cost was, surprisingly, low to get this done, considering that the books has over 650 pages.

Once I have completed the process, it will be distributed to various online sources to make it widely available to anyone who would like a copy.

Dave F.

That's not only nice of them to allow the free distribution, but it's good of you as well - though I was hoping it would be in a live math format, that probably wouldn't be so helpful anyway, esp. with Rocksim & OpenRocket and motor simulators & such already out there. Will the company OCR the text and link (bookmark) the table of contents & such?

And I wasn't selling anyway, so the $500 book, well, you'll have to take that up with my heirs, eventually! ;)

So I resurrected the old PC that my TAMR work was on. Attached is a sample page, in pdf. This is a page that was 'in process'. After the OCR, the text has been corrected if needed. In most cases, I then imported the image of the hand-written equations into the document. This puts those equations handy for reference and checking as I entered the equations with the math editor. Those images would then be deleted from the final text after proofing. The thing not yet done on this page is to edit/enter the in-text symbols. It looks like I've got the first 100 pages done this way. Gosh, I see some dates on here that show that I did this 15 years ago.

Attachments

• tamr079.pdf
    58.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
That's the way I'd have done it, but it's tedious. Nice work! I wonder what the authors would think of this effort? Dave's way is certainly the quickest, and should be persued, I think, primarily becuse the authors agreed to it and it gets a pdf that a bunch of us could then use to do what you did. Unless you have a LOT of time on your hands.. That equation editor reminds me of working with an RPN calculator (which I prefer), but I often find myself having to backtrack with the equation editor!

I wonder what the authors would think of this effort?
I suspect they would prefer the direct scan. No need to let some old goof inject errors into their work. I should have the .tiff format scans too though, but I don't see them on this old PC. I'll have to pull a yet older PC out of the garage.

That's the way I'd have done it, but it's tedious. Nice work! I wonder what the authors would think of this effort? Dave's way is certainly the quickest, and should be persued, I think, primarily becuse the authors agreed to it and it gets a pdf that a bunch of us could then use to do what you did.

Yes, especially since I am the only person legally authorized by all three authors, Mandell, Caporaso, & Bengen, to do so. I have this authorization, in writing.

Now, once the initial scanning and distribution is accomplished and completed, I will be more than happy to approach them, again, in an attempt to seek permission to, not only, "typeset" the handwritten equations but, also to correct the equations, using the data from the Errata Sheet.

At that time, I will be actively be seeking out someone who has that capability, with the goal of producing a "Revised Edition". However, until I am in a position to secure the necessary permissions from Mandell, Caporaso, & Bengen, that will have to be "tabled", pending their decision.

Dave F.

LETTER - 1.jpg

If TAMR is of interest, there are a couple of other books that I haven't seen mentioned in a while that might be new to some of you. Similar light reading as TAMR:

MIL-HDBK 762 - Design of Aerodynamically Stabilized Free Rockets. This is available as a 16Mb .pdf that can be found with a Google search.
Fluid Dynamic Drag - Hoerner. Seminal work on subsonic drag. This is still being sold new so I believe the copyright is still in effect; starting at $200 on Amazon. (pssst, I noticed that a search will find a .pdf). You'll find that diagrams from FDD show up in Stine's Handbook and other places.
Fluid Dynamic Lift is the later companion to FDD, but much more expensive on Amazon.

Yeah, of course I have hard copies of all three. These are the books you're looking for. They're for sale if you want them.

Last edited:
Yes, especially since I am the only person legally authorized by all three authors, Mandell, Caporaso, & Bengen, to do so. I have this authorization, in writing.

Now, once the initial scanning and distribution is accomplished and completed, I will be more than happy to approach them, again, in an attempt to seek permission to, not only, "typeset" the handwritten equations but, also to correct the equations, using the data from the Errata Sheet.

At that time, I will be actively be seeking out someone who has that capability, with the goal of producing a "Revised Edition". However, until I am in a position to secure the necessary permissions from Mandell, Caporaso, & Bengen, that will have to be "tabled", pending their decision.

Dave F.

View attachment 434210

Yes, Dave, that's true, you hold the permissions - I was speaking more of the "how" aspect. Do you have the errata sheet? That is one thing that concerned me as well. I do not have that. It would be very important to capture that, assuming "stage 2" went forward. My boss wrote a chapter in a book on electric machinery, and we all have copies with the typesetting mistakes corrected!

Yes, Dave, that's true, you hold the permissions - I was speaking more of the "how" aspect. Do you have the errata sheet? That is one thing that concerned me as well. I do not have that. It would be very important to capture that, assuming "stage 2" went forward. My boss wrote a chapter in a book on electric machinery, and we all have copies with the typesetting mistakes corrected!

Yes, I have the errata sheets . . . Sorry for the bad pics.

Once the initial duplication is accomplished and in the Public Domain, I believe that all three Authors would be willing to allow "typesetting" of the handwritten notations in the book.

Naturally, I cannot speak for them, but I will make every effort to secure their permission.

I believe that the Final Draft of the "revised" edition should be reviewed and approved by Mandell, Caporaso, & Bengen, prior to its release.

Dave F.

ERRATA - 1.jpg

ERRATA - 2.jpg

ERRATA - 3.jpg

ERRATA - 4.jpg

Attachments

• Erratta_TopicsInAdvancedModelRocketry_1973.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Gentlemen,

I guess it's time to "let the cat out of the bag", regarding "Topics In Advanced Model Rocketry".

I have been in contact with Gordon Mandell, since last year. He has been in contact with Bengen & Caporaso.

To make a long story short, the three of them contacted M.I.T. and reclaimed their Copyright of the book. M.I.T. no longer has publication rights.

With that said, all three of them have granted me, in writing, sole permission to duplicate the book, in its entirety, for the purpose of distribution in the Public Domain, FREE OF CHARGE . . . Say goodbye to $500 books !

Unfortunately, COVID-19 put the project on hold, until recently. I recontacted the company I am going to use to have the book professionally duplicated, in electronic format. The cost was, surprisingly, low to get this done, considering that the books has over 650 pages.

Once I have completed the process, it will be distributed to various online sources to make it widely available to anyone who would like a copy.

Dave F.
Wished I had known you were “working on that project” before I ‘launched’ a few Benjamin’s on a fine hardcover edition a few months ago. Damn it Jim!

If TAMR is of interest, there are a couple of other books that I haven't seen mentioned in a while that might be new to some of you. Similar light reading as TAMR:

MIL-HDBK 762 - Design of Aerodynamically Stabilized Free Rockets. This is available as a 16Mb .pdf that can be found with a Google search.
Fluid Dynamic Drag - Hoerner. Seminal work on subsonic drag. This is still being sold new so I believe the copyright is still in effect; starting at $200 on Amazon. (pssst, I noticed that a search will find a .pdf). You'll find that diagrams from FDD show up in Stine's Handbook and other places.
Fluid Dynamic Lift is the later companion to FDD, but much more expensive on Amazon.

Yeah, of course I have hard copies of all three. These are the books you're looking for. They're for sale if you want them.
Hi VCP
I have the FDD. I am particularly interested in the definitive reference for “fin design”. Any suggestions? Thanks

Wished I had known you were “working on that project” before I ‘launched’ a few Benjamin’s on a fine hardcover edition a few months ago. Damn it Jim!
Ah, but I like holding a book in my hand sometimes. PDF's are good, but can be a pain for reading technical content. But at least the content is preserved! Congratulations on a good purchase!

Yes, I have the errata sheets . . . Sorry for the bad pics.

Once the initial duplication is accomplished and in the Public Domain, I believe that all three Authors would be willing to allow "typesetting" of the handwritten notations in the book.

Naturally, I cannot speak for them, but I will make every effort to secure their permission.

I believe that the Final Draft of the "revised" edition should be reviewed and approved by Mandell, Caporaso, & Bengen, prior to its release.

Dave F.

View attachment 434339

View attachment 434340

View attachment 434341

View attachment 434342

Any updates Dave?

Any updates Dave ?

Steve,

At present, things are in a "holding pattern", while the scanning service catches up on past jobs for customers, delayed, due to the virus. Also, the Holidays are contributing to the delay. I think that things will get rolling around mid-January . . . Fingers Crossed !

Dave F.

Back