Help Needed Design project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPUTommy

Thrust cures All
Reaction score
This isn't "rocketry" related but there isn't really any other group of people that I know who would understand let alone be able to do this.

*I was able to make a template out of balsa because Im able to work with that and is in my comfort zone*

*I have access to a water-jet / CnC machine (buddy of mine) that can cut this out of plastic*

* I plan on using screws and CA to secure the two pieces *

I tried to download Sketchup and that is unfamiliar to me, Is there anyone that can convert inches to millimeters and create a sketchup file for me???

If this is in your wheel house please PLEASE send me a message or reply to this thread.

Thanks in advance !!

Tom

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

I don't do Sketchup, but the conversion for inches to millimeters is very easy. Just multiply the inch measurements by 25.4. The product is your mm measurement. It's an exact conversion with no rounding error.

If it only needed to be 2D, it would be really simple to do with DeltaCAD.
You simply draw it in imperial, then change settings to metric.
All your dimensions would change, you wouldn't have to redo them.
DeltaCAD has a 45 day free trial, after which, you can reinstall it, again, and again, etc.
I don't have the $30 to upgrade, so that's what I do.
And it's the easiest, simplest CAD out there, and cheapest.
Check it out "HERE"
Just click on the oval at the top that says DEMO.
It saves in several formats too.
Once you install it, click help/tutorials and do the calculator.
Takes about 30 minutes and it teaches you most of the features quickly.
It comes with a library of symbols, and you can make your own library of symbols that you use regularly.
It auto scales them to the scale you chose to draw in.
It's a great CAD program, I use it for everything, except rockets. For that I have RocSim.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to make up some SolidWorks files/drawings for you (exported as .step files or whatever format you need) but I have some concerns over your dimensioning. Specifically, the horizontal stack up of your larger piece doesn't add up. 7 + 11.75 = 18.75, rather than the 19.25 marked in the middle of your part. I think this half inch is coming from the 'jagged' left edge, but it's also confusing that the other part is marked as 12" long, and should probably fit cleanly against that edge. Without clarification, I'm concerned that anything I drew up for you could be significantly off. Check those dimensions again, and as stated by others also let us know what file format, 2D/3D etc. you need. If tolerances are an issue, let me know that too.

p.s., I'm presuming 1/4" material, though it is only relevant if you need 3D files. I assumed the 12" is correct, and that the part should be 19" total across.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I will re measure, it was a template that I worked and worked until it fit. I will re measure and get you the correct dimensions. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be 3D. I can post some pictures and you'll see what I mean. Million and a half thanks !!!

I'd be happy to make up some SolidWorks files/drawings for you (exported as .step files or whatever format you need) but I have some concerns over your dimensioning. Specifically, the horizontal stack up of your larger piece doesn't add up. 7 + 11.75 = 18.75, rather than the 19.25 marked in the middle of your part. I think this half inch is coming from the 'jagged' left edge, but it's also confusing that the other part is marked as 12" long, and should probably fit cleanly against that edge. Without clarification, I'm concerned that anything I drew up for you could be significantly off. Check those dimensions again, and as stated by others also let us know what file format, 2D/3D etc. you need. If tolerances are an issue, let me know that too.

p.s., I'm presuming 1/4" material, though it is only relevant if you need 3D files. I assumed the 12" is correct, and that the part should be 19" total across.

View attachment 307820

I will re measure, it was a template that I worked and worked until it fit. I will re measure and get you the correct dimensions. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be 3D. I can post some pictures and you'll see what I mean. Million and a half thanks !!!

Check with your friend tonight and find out exactly what kind of files he would fine easiest to import. Solidworks has a pretty broad range of options, but I'm not going to be able to directly generate the g-code he'll need for the CNC. If you can get me dimensions and file info sometime tomorrow morning, I'll have you some files before lunch. Otherwise, I'm 'off' for the next week and a half and won't be much help will after the new year.

Thanks For that awesome work.

The top left corner is notched out for the piston hinge.

The notch is 1/2 inch deep, and from the bottom its 8 1/4 and its 2 3/4 vertical to the top.

If you could you send the solid works file that would be great. I can get it converted if need be.

I know he has autocad so if possible can you export to a DWG file ?

I tried to upload the pictures I took but for some reason the site wont allow me to upload them

I can email them if you can get me your email address.

Mine is [email protected]

Again. Megga thanks !!!!

Tom

Tom,

I had an extra minute and threw this combined drawing/image together too, just for fun. Good luck with the files I already sent and Happy Holidays!Capture.JPG

Back