Help name that tool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
My father has a file that was triangular and square but was like sandpaper on the surface. It had a wood hand like a file but was not a metal file.

Any idea what this is called?

A rasp is generally coarse and used to remove a lot of material with each pass. A favorite tool of “wood butchers” such as. myself.

“like sandpaper”? Do you mean the texture is fine rather than coarse?

Also the bit about being triangular and square is puzzling, as well.

A picture would help in these days of cell phones with built in cameras...just saying.

A rasp is generally coarse and used to remove a lot of material with each pass. A favorite tool of “wood butchers” such as. myself.

“like sandpaper”? Do you mean the texture is fine rather than coarse?

Also the bit about being triangular and square is puzzling, as well.

A picture would help in these days of cell phones with built in cameras...just saying.
Some rasps have a flattened square profile that comes to a point thats sort of triangular when viewed from above. Below is an Auriou style rasp, and they can have a fine tooth.124430.jpg

It is not really a rasp. I wish I could find a photo. It is almost like a sandstone on a handle. Solid, abrasive, and not metal.

The "Like Sandpaper" description by OP made me think diamond coated.
I have some, not sure if I ever used them though.
I do have mini files, jewelers files, hobby files, what ever you want to call them.
I use them for customizing knives mostly.

There are also carbide rasps. They can be any shape, but instead of having teeth that are actually re-shaped part of the rasp, the "grit" is brazed on carbide granules. My dad had a couple.

Back