Help me pass gas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missileman

Reaction score
I am ready to start flying Hybrids.
I need suggestions for a kit I can buy.
Specifications must be:
54MM motor (for Hypertec 54mm motors)
Must be able to fly on I through K impulse.
Must have dual deployment and electronics bay.
I prefer something scale if possible.
Well anyone have any ideas of whats out there?

I would say look at LOC's HyperLOC series...they look like good hybrid rockets that are dual deploy capable with little if any modification!

Jason

We put together the Binder Design Jaguar (2.5" airframe) https://binderdesign.com/jaguar.html with a 54, it's a duellie and flew well with the Michigan manufactured Sky Ripper with a 38mm reducer. It flew nicely. Binder no longer offers it with the 54 mm as far as I know, but parts are available to make it so. The 4" Binder Design Raptor https://binderdesign.com/raptor.html is well on it's way towards flightdom. It will fly on HyperTek or SRS or RATT or PP.....did I forget anyone?

I personally right now fly a BSD Thor and a Binder Design Sentinel. Both are dual deploy and have plenty of room for a K240 Hypertek. The only deviance I made from the kit instructions was I added a PML Electronics Bay and a 54mm Aeropak Retainer system to each bird.

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
We put together the Binder Design Jaguar (2.5" airframe) https://binderdesign.com/jaguar.html with a 54, it's a duellie and flew well with the Michigan manufactured Sky Ripper with a 38mm reducer. It flew nicely. Binder no longer offers it with the 54 mm as far as I know, but parts are available to make it so. The 4" Binder Design Raptor https://binderdesign.com/raptor.html is well on it's way towards flightdom. It will fly on HyperTek or SRS or RATT or PP.....did I forget anyone?

Binder does make a 54 Jaguar, I'm building it right now. :) It isn't on their site, so either call or send Mike an email. Its 99 dollars. It's called the Jaguar Extreme. It has a 54 mm mount, G10 fins, enough couplers to double wall the entire thing*, and G10 centering rings. Very nice kit.

* From what i've heard on this board, this now may be a standard thing...

Giant Leap Rocketry sells a 54mm minimum dia filament wound fiber glass (FWFG) rocket that can handle you needs...I put a similar one up on a HyperTEK J317 to 6700ft. The K240 would take it up a few feet more :D

Scale? Hybrids are made for 3FNC style performers...light with low drag qualities

The Public Enemy 4" Extreme Performer has been a good one for me, and the price was right for a $60 dual deploy 4" rocket...

PML has a whole line of hybrid ready rockets too.

And I'll also chime in for the BSD Thor. If there's one HPR kit out there that gets everyone's attention, it's a Thor :D BSD's Apache would be an excellent candidate as well. (Check out my review of the Apache at EMRR...)

HTH,

Thank you all so much for your replies.
I really like the looks of that Binder Design Raptor.
I also have my eyes on the Yank 4" BBX

Originally posted by Justin Horne
Binder does make a 54 Jaguar, I'm building it right now. :) It isn't on their site, so either call or send Mike an email. Its 99 dollars. It's called the Jaguar Extreme. It has a 54 mm mount, G10 fins, enough couplers to double wall the entire thing*, and G10 centering rings. Very nice kit.

* From what i've heard on this board, this now may be a standard thing...

Ahhh sCrap......when I bought the thing it had birch fins so I made my own G-10s, but it did have G-10 centering rings I just added a longer MMT for the HT tanks to have a little support. I'm glad to hear he's offering it in Extreme version as he was fazing out the 54 mm Jag. It's a nice build, and it looooves speed. 8<)

I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject as I've been wanting to start flying hybrids, too. Plenty of kits can be converted to hybrid-ready, however, this is a project for those that already know how to set up a rocket to be hybrid-ready. There are, as people have already pointed out, a number of hybrid-ready kits available from LOC, PML, and a growing number of other manufacturers, which is where I'll eventuallu start.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject as I've been wanting to start flying hybrids, too. Plenty of kits can be converted to hybrid-ready, however, this is a project for those that already know how to set up a rocket to be hybrid-ready. There are, as people have already pointed out, a number of hybrid-ready kits available from LOC, PML, and a growing number of other manufacturers, which is where I'll eventually start.

Hybrid ready only means, that the booster will accomadate the longer Hybrid motors. every kit can be made to dual deploy, but some have the shorter boosters, and therefore will not be "hybrid ready"

point in case, I am having to build a rocket to take the new SRS 36" long "J" motor...other than that, it is a 3FNC rocket.

Back