help me get certified

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickcodybarrett

Reaction score
I want to get level 1 certified to shoot high power motors. I don't know where I have to go too get certified. I found a club near me but don't know if they're qualified to certify me. Do I need paperwork? I found a rocket that is recommended for certification. One huge thing is, Im 15. Does that change anything? Thanks

Being under 18 is huge. You must certify under the junior certification. You may also have to ask your parents to purchase the motor as you are not 18.

Thats as much as I know, someone else might give some more insight.

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

I don't know what you mean by lm 15. Most people certify L1 with a 2.6" or 3" dia. kit and a 29 mm or 38 mm H motor.

If the club is sanctioned by the NAR or the TRA, they will surely do cert. flights. But contact them before you buy your kit and motor. My club has a particularly small field for HPR, so I had to plan a motor and rocket that wouldn't fly too high for our field.

I meant by 15 years old.

Update for you on this, for Tripoli Rocketry Association they have a mentoring program. For NAR they have a leader membership.

When it comes down to it I would recommend Tripoli Rocketry Association. The mentoring program will help you out with getting started in obtaining your high power skills.

Also DBD is right, contact your local club and ask for their altitude waiver. The last thing you want to do is show up with a rocket and cant fly it.

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

do more then contact them, you need to go fly mid and low power with them, as one of their level one or higher certified members will have to deal with the motor. I don't know of many people that would be willing to do with with the random teenager who shows up with a rocket and a smile. Fly with them and it won't be a problem.

You need to contact your local club and find out if they are NAR or Tripoli. No sense joining one organization and finding that the club is the other. Also, ask the club leadership someone will help you certify as you are not an adult. This should not be a problem as most clubs will certainly be helpful.

When all is said and done, I think TRA has a better junior program. It allows you to fly whatever a mentor is comfortable signing you off on. It's allowed me to fly an M motor, and multiple L1 and L2 sized motors.

I'm also a junior TRA member. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Hello Nick, Welcome to TRF!
Here is what you need to know about High Power Rocketry in the USA for people under 18 (like you and me).

LIMIT = Single Use “F” Motor
There is a national law (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) that says motors above ‘F’ power class, and all motors that use metallic casings (including reloadables) regardless of power class, may only be sold legally to those 18 years of age or above.
What this means is that you can use any “single use” F motor by yourself, but you can’t fly anything larger without adult assistance.

YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING BUT FLY-
You can build ANY size rocket you want - there is no age or certification restriction on BUILDING a rocket. You can then give this rocket to an adult to fly for you. This does not require you to be a member of TRA or the NAR. The adult has to purchase the motor, and is the flyer of record.

TRIPOLI MENTOR PROGRAM (access to high power pads)
If you are at least 12 years of age, you can join Tripoli (TRA) and take a WRITTEN mentor program test. Written test only - no flight needed. Successful completion of the test allows you ACCESS to the High Power launch pads at a TRA launch when accompanied by a High Power Certified adult member. With your TRA membership you will still need to fly/certify L1 when you turn 18.

NAR JR LEVEL 1 (automatic L1 when you turn 18)
With a NAR membership - 14 year old's - Build a level 1 rocket, and fly it successfully with the assistance of a NAR High Power Certified adult member to receive “Junior Level 1” certification. This converts to Full L1 status on your 18th birthday, no additional flight needed.

I am a member of both NAR and Tripoli. I passed the written TRA test, and last year I assisted my mentor with an N 10000 motor flight at the Midwest Power launch (photo below) . I will be 14 next spring and I am planning my NAR JR L1 rocket.

12308823_10205146589652728_3538254208364184251_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what you need to know about High Power Rocketry in the USA for people under 18 (like you and me).

There is a national law (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) that says motors above ‘F’ power class, and all motors that use metallic casings (including reloadables) regardless of power class, may only be sold legally to those 18 years of age or above.
What this means is that you can use any “single use” F motor by yourself, but you can’t fly anything larger without adult assistance.

You can build ANY size rocket you want - there is no age or certification restriction on BUILDING a rocket. You can then give this rocket to an adult to fly for you. This does not require you to be a member of TRA or the NAR. The adult has to purchase the motor, and is the flyer of record.

If you are at least 12 years of age, you can join Tripoli (TRA) and take a WRITTEN mentor program test. Written test only - no flight needed. Successful completion of the test allows you ACCESS to the High Power launch pads at a TRA launch when accompanied by a High Power Certified adult member. With your TRA membership you will still need to fly/certify L1 when you turn 18.

With a NAR membership - 14 year old's - Build a level 1 rocket, and fly it successfully with the assistance of a NAR High Power Certified adult member to receive “Junior Level 1” certification. This converts to Full L1 status on your 18th birthday, no additional flight needed.

I am a member of both NAR and Tripoli. I passed the written TRA test, and last year I assisted my mentor with an N 10000 motor flight at the Midwest Power launch (photo below) . I will be 14 next spring and I am planning my NAR JR L1 rocket.

0_o Wow. That was probably the most in depth answer I've ever seen to this question.

Hmm looks like "Chicago Fire", and you must be the Sabrina that Gus brags about! Gus is a great mentor for all ages.

Great write up

https://jrlevel1.com This may help, for Roctober the youth launch at Lucerne dry lake in so cal, we are doing a jr level 1 push this year. Jrlevel1.com has all the links for getting your jr nar cert. The madcow dx3 is a great rocket to cert with, there is a tutorial on building it in the site.

Can't get the discount unless you are launching at Roctober but this should get you going.

Mike K

When all is said and done, I think TRA has a better junior program. It allows you to fly whatever a mentor is comfortable signing you off on. It's allowed me to fly an M motor, and multiple L1 and L2 sized motors.

I'm also a junior TRA member. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Just a quick question. You built L1, L2 and L3 level rockets and had someone fly them for you? Or you helped someone fly L2/L3 level rockets they built? If you constructed the rockets and somebody signed off on them (which is perfectly acceptable)
You are way ahead of the curve and would be the kind of a person I'd be comfortable with doing L1, L2, L3 certification flights on the same day when they turned 18. It has been done before with exceptional junior fliers.

If you're in the mentoring program and help out, you're still ahead on the curve and will be really ready to TRA certify if you chose to go that route when you hit the magic age. All the best to you and Sabrina. Kurt Savegnago

Back