Help me decide on my L2 rocket...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Craig

Reaction score
With my L1 Certification a reality, I'm looking to decide on and order my L2 Cert rocket. I've got quite a few recommendations from the club - but the more information the better I always figure, so I'll open it up to a wider audience.

The "ideal" rocket for L2 for me, would meet all these criteria...

• Easy build. I enjoy building rockets, but I'm not a super-advanced builder, and I've only got the very basics as far as tools. Anything requiring precision cutting or the like might be a bit much for me at this point, for instance. I also don't have a huge amount of room to work in.
  • 54mm motor mount. Just for motor choice versatility. Then I can use an adapter and fly 38mm stuff, etc.
  • Dual-deploy ready, but able to fly single deploy/motor ejection as well. Hopefully able to convert between the two "at will." I'm not planning on going for L3 at all (too expensive, even for the reloads!), but I'd still like to experiment with DD/electronics at some point, so it'd be cool if the L2 bird was DD-ready.
  • "Cool looking" - Heh, I know, matter of opinion, but something "different" or "cool" looking would be nice too.

Many of the members of my club have recommended the Performance Rocketry G3 and Mad Dog for the value, and because they're 54mm and DD ready. I certainly agree they look like nice rockets and they're on the top of the list. They're pretty basic in looks department though, and I know they don't come with any kind of instructions.

I've also been looking at Polecat's 5.5" Goblin. It's not DD-ready at all, but it's certainly a solid 54mm rocket with apparently a good reputation.

I'm also eyeing Polecat's 5.5" Nike Smoke DD version. A little pricier - but it being scale is attractive.

What else is out there? :)

Look at Binder Design..Most of the kits on the top of the page are 54mm, and if not already, can be easily converted over to dual deploy..I used the Excel Plus 54mm for my L2 rocket..Top notch components and great instructions! :)

Look at Binder Design..Most of the kits on the top of the page are 54mm, and if not already, can be easily converted over to dual deploy..I used the Excel Plus 54mm for my L2 rocket..Top notch components and great instructions! :)

Hmmm, looks like a good kit (all of Binder's do), but review @ EMRR says BT isn't pre-cut?

I'm positive that if you call Mike at Binder he can accomodate a request if you want the BT pre-cut.
You could always try cutting yourself. It's really quite simple on paper body tubes, can be done with a sharp utility or hobby knife.
Binder makes excellent rockets. I have 4 of them myself, two of which I extensively modified/customized.
My friend recently built the Galaxy (L2 capable) which got a lot of compliments as he did a great finish job on it. I think the kit is a bit more advanced based on the custom nozzle arrangement...

Last edited:
I'm positive that if you call Mike at Binder he can accomodate a request if you want the BT pre-cut.
You could always try cutting yourself. It's really quite simple on paper body tubes, can be done with a sharp utility or hobby knife.

Well, that's another thing... Paper BT + J/K motors = ??? Heh.

I've built a couple of the Binder kits. Cutting the fin slots is very easy. Yes, the 4" kits stand up well to J and K motors.

Hyper Loc 835?

Nice size kit, comes with full Ebay set up, 54mm that can also take 38mm motors and i think it looks sharp. Its worth a look...

You can always order an extra tube if this is a source of concern. Binder will sell you a full tube for $12.

I've gotten kind of fond of putting the fin can together and then cutting body tube slits that match. That makes the tube cutting process fairly painless...

Hyper Loc 835?

Nice size kit, comes with full Ebay set up, 54mm that can also take 38mm motors and i think it looks sharp. Its worth a look...

Hmmm, very interesting kit indeed. Price is very right too!

Hmmm, very interesting kit indeed. Price is very right too!

I'll second the Hyperloc 835 it's a nice kit I did my level one with it.

01_I218_Cert.jpg

For my level 2 though I will probably use a Loc Doorknob due to the field that my club flies on.

The PML Endeavor is a sweet choice for L2. Get it with the extended Kwik-Switch or leave out the Kwik-Switch completely and you have a sweet looking, versatile rocket. If you fly much in the cold, I'd get the phenolic version. Quantum tube + cold weather = Bad juju.

You can do your av-bay in the coupler by adding a couple of bulkheads.

I've flown mine up to K550.

--Lance.

Last edited:
Hmmm, looks like a good kit (all of Binder's do), but review @ EMRR says BT isn't pre-cut?

PRE-cut, O-boy, don't lazy out this is a L2 bird, nothing like doing everything yourself.

Always a "30 miles uphill in the snow both ways" type in any bunch, eh? :/

If you're planning to L2, surely you have enough modeling skills to cut some fin slots, don't you? :confused2:

I wouldn't rule out a kit, or the possibility of scratch building just because a body tube might not be pre-slotted. When you start fiberglassing fins or kit bashing, the pre-cut slots won't be the right size anyway.

The Mad Dog DD kit might deserve a look.;)

If you're planning to L2, surely you have enough modeling skills to cut some fin slots, don't you? :confused2:

More like lack of space, a good truly flat surface, and a blade strong enough to cleanly cut anything strong enough to handle a J/K motor...

3rd (oops) Vote for the Hyper-Loc 835 from LOC Precision:dark::dark::dark:

54mm J315R, Perfectflite HiAlt454k Dual Deploy, 3,784'

n1154954855_30173774_9922.jpg

Well, that's another thing... Paper BT + J/K motors = ??? Heh.

In the late 80's I witnessed a LOC/Precison Motherlode fly at LDRS on a cluster of three Vulcan L750's. I've been a believer in the strength of cardboard rockets ever since .....

I'll ring in another vote for a HyperLoc kit. If you're willing to go 38mm my suggestion would be for the FANTOM 438 EXL. Very nice kit.

:)

I would suggest the Binder Design Raptor. DIA 4 inches, 84 inches long, 54mm MMT, 45 inch chute, and the recommended motors are H,I,J,K
It's also pretty cool looking.

I would recommend building it DD right away and fly it DD a few times on H & I motors. It's less then 5 lbs and a mid size K should get it well north of 7,000 ft.

I did my level two on a Binder velociraptor. I was strong as anything, It looks cool and I had no problems building it. The slots were pre-cut, maybe because of the boattail. Mine is set up for DD but I have not done it that way yet. I was waiting to be certifiable first and now I think I will try the electronics.

Tom Nice looking rocket, The MDRA sticker classes it up nicely--hey you should log into your RP page and check your invites

Like others have said Binder's 4" dia paper tubes are plenty strong enough for K's

Newspaper on a kitchen table, sheetrock utility knife with fresh blade, and use of any door frame in your house (to draw a good line), a bit of patience, and a pencil are all the tools needed to cut a nice body tube slot.

Absolute great template for making cardboard/masonite fin jigs, got from a nice forum poster
BSD Color Fin Template

Good luck, dont be afraid to do a little more work than just gluing everything together.

Another vote here for the Hyperloc835

I've glassed mine, and flown it on J350s up to a K550 to 4680ft.

IMG_4125Fix%20[1024x768].JPG

Not to hijack the thread but with the 835, could it take K's with out it being glassed?

Not to hijack the thread but with the 835, could it take K's with out it being glassed?

Not one LOC kit needs glass up thru 54MM. An 835 on a K is no problem. I seriously doubt if any 75MM kit needs glass. I have flown RDS 75 MM kits on 75MM "L" motors without a problem. I like to paint the inside of LOC tubes with thined epoxy--but I only do that to minimize deployment and landing damage--it is not necessary for the flight. LOC 5.38" and 7.51" tubes are so thick and strong--they can take just about anything. Loc 5.38" and 7.51" couplers--that is a different story.

Last edited:
I think you had it right with the Goblin,

Where I fly (at Lucerne with ROC) the goblin is as close to a club rocket as it gets. Simple build, good kit, and great flexibility. You can build one in about an hour.

The 3" Goblin can launch on as low as an F and one of the fastest things I ever saw was a launch my son did with a J500. A J350 would be perfect for a level 2 Likewise the 4" lets you do a bunch of different motors, fun on an I, cert on a J, really fun on a K. Either the 3" or 4" works for a level 2.

One other plus is the length, easy to store and bring out. If you use it for your level 2, it certainly will compliment 'your next rocket'.

Back