Help identifying a nose cone/radome

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stantonjtroy

Reaction score
Had someone send an inquiry where I work (Aerolab LLC) about a cone he picked up at an estate sale. It's stamped "Aerolab" but I don't think it's ours. We build Wind tunnels; Always have since 1947. There were a couple of times in the past we built a sounding rocket but this dosn't fall into the specs of anything in our archives. Looks to be old (1950s,1960s) Laminated, woven phenolic. Stainless (?) tip cap. ID number shows VEH (vehicle ?). I'm used to missiles and sounding rockets referred to as "Rounds"; I could be wrong. I've ruled out the Geni, AIM 47 Falcon, Phoenix & Archer/Rim 2. Not critical, I'm just really curious now. Take a crack at it.

unnamed.jpgunnamed2.jpg

Aerolab == Atlantic Research
Before that it was Ryan Aircraft / Aerolab. They integrated the "J" series of sounding rockets, starting with Jason. The other model names were "Argo nnn" after Jason and the Argonauts.

I'm pretty sure the cone is from the Journeyman/Javelin series.

Goddard_NASA_sounding_rockets_panorama.jpg

Do you know where this photo was taken? I was at Wallops a couple of years ago and did not see this one.
It's stock footage I pulled off of the web but I agree with John, I'm pretty sure it was Goddard. last time I was there I was pulling some measurements off of their IRIS and I recall seeing these.

Latest posts

Back