Help identifying a kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
At DART’s launch on Sunday, I assisted a man and his kids with their rockets. They were small things with a white BT-50 or equivalent slotted body tube, red plastic through-the-wall fins and fin mounting rings on the exterior, an 18mm mount with red plastic centering rings, a combination kevlar/rubber shock cord, and an orange streamer. There was also a sticker on the tube, although I can’t remember what it said for the life of me. It wasn’t the name of a company or kit I recognize, I can say that much.

It could not be more clear that they were first-timers. The motor mount didn’t stay put (one of them actually was missing the rear centering ring) the shock cord was not mounted, and the man claimed that the instructions advertised no-glue assembly.

I ended up supergluing the centering rings, then mounting the shock cord by tying a knot in it and threading it through a small slot I cut in the forward end of the tube.

Does anyone know what this kit may have been and who the manufacturer could be? I’m not looking to air any dirty laundry or anything if it ends up being a small kit maker, it just strikes me as something that I’d like to look into if anyone could identify it. Specifically I’d like to see if the thing was assembled as instructed.

It sounds like a Discount Rocketry Nexus as noted by Exactimator. They advertise a no glue assembly for it. If you are interested, Discount Rocketry comes out to each Lucerne launch and vends.

The Nexus would be my guess as well. Neat little model which can go from bag to flyable in just a few minutes.

It IS glueless and with the problems you described clearly not assembled per instructions: https://www.discountrocketry.com/media/model_rocket_kit_instructions/pdf_files/Nexus Instructions (Parachute).pdf

The streamer is threaded onto the shock cord through a reinforced hole on the streamer version of the model.

IMG_5403 2.jpg

This one has at least eight flights on it: https://flightsketch.com/flights/1131/

Last edited:
The very same. Well done!

It sounds like a Discount Rocketry Nexus as noted by Exactimator. They advertise a no glue assembly for it. If you are interested, Discount Rocketry comes out to each Lucerne launch and vends.
I’ve purchased from them, they carry good stuff. I didn’t expect to have met the manufacturer, but this kind of thing is precisely why I avoid talking smack. That would have been embarrassing. 🤦‍♂️

The Nexus would be my guess as well. Neat little model which can go from bag to flyable in just a few minutes.

It IS glueless and with the problems you described clearly not assembled per instructions: https://www.discountrocketry.com/media/model_rocket_kit_instructions/pdf_files/Nexus Instructions (Parachute).pdf

The streamer is threaded onto the shock cord through a reinforced hole on the streamer version of the model.
Man, I love this place. Everything I wanted to know provided in less than two hours is very impressive.

We had about 30 scouts last weekend all launching Nexuses.* I think the majority were first timers. Some of the parents had launched when they were kids. A couple made a mistake during assembly and the launch lug holes weren't lined up. The fathers simply removed the fins, twisted the ring, put the fins back on and loaded the rocket. Took maybe a minute at the pad. I'd say any other assembly issues were those of the user, not the manufacturer.

For first timers who need some forgiveness in their assembly, these were great.

* I swear they were multiplying like rabbits. Both the Nexuses and the scouts.

Back