Help Identify this Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what rocket this is? Thank you in advance... (Note: Bit difficult to estimate size of rocket but I am estimating 2-3" BT from other rockets that I could identify).

(Hope it is ok to use this as an open "Help Identifying Rocket" thread).

View attachment 501936

I must agree with others. That looks an awful lot like a LOC Onyx. The Onyx is a 3.1 Dia. rocket that is just a touch over 25" tall.

So I decided to purchase this red rocket along with a batch of other mid-powered rockets... Now I can confirm dimensions so looks like it is an Onyx (3.1" x 25.5").

I am now unsure of which this rocket is -- looks like Madcow from the nose cone (RWW on nose cone).

1643837861670.jpeg

So I decided to purchase this red rocket along with a batch of other mid-powered rockets... Now I can confirm dimensions so looks like it is an Onyx (3.1" x 25.5").

I am now unsure of which this rocket is -- looks like Madcow from the nose cone (RWW on nose cone).

View attachment 502808
TLP Saab?
1643839607762.png

Your photo from the "What I Did Today Rocketwise" thread makes it undeniable that those fins' trailing edges are swept forward, and the Onyx's fins are not. Also, the Onyx's fin roots come all the way to the bottom of the body tube and the red rocket's don't. It can't be a stock Onyx, but maybe someone chopped the fins. They'd have to have cut the trailing edges, and also reduced the span to keep tip edge as it is. (It is actually longer than the onyx's.) I sure hope there's enough fin left, or enough nose weight added.
1643839427995.png

THANKS - Definitely the right missile... This one is 3.1" x 40.5" so maybe it is the Blackhawk R&D version???

EDIT: Actually further measurement & comparison to RKT files online seem to suggest that Blackhawk R&D is the make/model.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Your photo from the "What I Did Today Rocketwise" thread makes it undeniable that those fins' trailing edges are swept forward, and the Onyx's fins are not. Also, the Onyx's fin roots come all the way to the bottom of the body tube and the red rocket's don't. It can't be a stock Onyx, but maybe someone chopped the fins. They'd have to have cut the trailing edges, and also reduced the span to keep tip edge as it is. (It is actually longer than the onyx's.) I sure hope there's enough fin left, or enough nose weight added.
View attachment 502815

Thanks for noticing that -- I thought from some pics I saw that the Onyx had a short sweep on trailing edge but I guess it does not. I think the nose cone is also smaller on the red rocket than the Onyx. I will keep looking around for distinguishing marks -- I did not see anything on Nosecone but will keep looking.

Back