Help identify CTI 29mm 3G reload, offset core

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Title pretty much sums it up. I've got a 3 grain 29mm CTI motor with an offset core. No idea what the propellant is. I can post a picture after I get home from work.

Would like to fly it, but also would like some idea what it is so I can set the delay accordingly, ensure the rocket will be stable, etc.

Definitely either an H54 white longburn or G54 red longburn. They're pretty comparable, though the H has a hair more impulse and a hair lower peak thrust. The big deal is that the H is a 10-second nominal (undrilled) delay and the G is 12 seconds.

Thank you both! I checked back through my orders at various vendors. Other than being appalled at how much I spend, I got no further info about this. Which means I bought it onsite somewhere.

With the information above, I plugged in some simulations. Looks like both motors would like a 9.25 second delay. So, if I shave 2 seconds off the delay, I'll either be 1 second early or one second late. I think I can live with that.

My guess is that it's a G54. I remember being fascinated by the fact that CTI had a 100% G, and thinking it would be fun to go for the G altitude record.

Was hoping it was a G33 (Mellow) - that would have been fun in my Turbo Vortico, and would also explain why the ejection charge is missing.

The Mellow motors are all Bates grains, just a very slow propellant. If the propellant is reddish, its a red. CTI adds color to the propellant to match the flame color.

@Nytrunner, there was an ejection charge - I removed it for reasons that I can't recall. The only reason I can think of for removing the ejection charge was to fly it in a Turbo Vortico.

@Rocketjunkie, of course now I can't seem to find the motor. Hopefully it's in with the big box of CTI casings and reloads. I just lack the energy to dig it out at the moment.

Thank you both! I checked back through my orders at various vendors. Other than being appalled at how much I spend, I got no further info about this. Which means I bought it onsite somewhere.

With the information above, I plugged in some simulations. Looks like both motors would like a 9.25 second delay. So, if I shave 2 seconds off the delay, I'll either be 1 second early or one second late. I think I can live with that.

My guess is that it's a G54. I remember being fascinated by the fact that CTI had a 100% G, and thinking it would be fun to go for the G altitude record.

Was hoping it was a G33 (Mellow) - that would have been fun in my Turbo Vortico, and would also explain why the ejection charge is missing.
use a knife and cut a tiny sliver of propellant off a grain along the core edge. Burn that sliver and see if it is red flame or white smoke....

It would be cool if there were a thread where people posted pics of grains of known propellant types to help people identify mystery motors.

Problem is that some propellant is the same look and color but different flame effect

That's definitely true, but it'd still help narrow it down quite a bit. Combine the reference photos with the fact that most cases don't include all types of propellant and you could probably solve a decent fraction of these questions.

Back