Help I.D. this rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosaj13

Reaction score
Hi, I was given this rocket to get it into flying condition but I have noticed a few missing parts so I need to figure out the name and brand of this rocket to. I have included pictures of the overall as well as the bottom. I think (I am relatively new at MPR) that it is missing a engine retention ring. (stops the engine from flying through the body tube) But this problem may have been solved using a lower housing witch would explain the threaded holes. The over all height is 53in with a diameter of 4in. The engine is 29mm. I would appreciate it if you could help me out and point me in the right direction.

CIMG2864.jpg

CIMG2862.jpg

It looks like a North Coast Rocketry Phantom 4000.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Coast_Rocketry

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_ncr_phantom.shtml
I never owned one but, they were popular about 12 years ago.
Other than that, it might just be a scratch built design.....

It's an entry level HP kit & does not use a thrust block. Back then SU 29mm motors were very popular. The H 100 SS by Vulcan & H 124 FB by AT were the motors of choice & those motors were about 10" long. I still have the spent H 124 casing.

JD

If it is a north coast rocketry rocket, then check the mount, those kits had 28.5mm motor mounts as they had their own brand of motor. Alot of people swapped the 28.5mm for a 29mm mount when they built them.
An aerotech RMS will squeeze itself in to a 28.5mm mount, but most SU won't.

As you said after some further investigations it does seem to be the Phantom 4000. I contacted the owner and he said it was a gift in 1998 so that would match the time period.
The one thing I noticed is that in the catalogs form North Coast it lists the rocket as a 29mm. I used a micrometer and confirmed that it is 28.5. Any ideas on why and do you know of any SU engines that would fit with out sanding

J.I.

As you said after some further investigations it does seem to be the Phantom 4000. I contacted the owner and he said it was a gift in 1998 so that would match the time period.
The one thing I noticed is that in the catalogs form North Coast it lists the rocket as a 29mm. I used a micrometer and confirmed that it is 28.5. Any ideas on why and do you know of any SU engines that would fit with out sanding

J.I.

going on memory here, but i think the motors were called darkstar and are OOP. you are limited to Aerotech (and similiar) RMS cases.

Yes, the Northcoast rockets came with 28.5mm motor mounts. But it's not that big of a deal to resolve -- use a hobby knife to peel up the corner of an inner layer or two of paper in the tube. Then reach in with needle nose pliers and grab the end of the paper, then twist the pliers inside the tube, unwrapping the paper from the inside.

It doesn't take much, and removing that little bit does nothing detrimental to the rocket.

I've done this on mine, and have flown it numerous times without a problem.

-Kevin

J.I.

The Phantoms that were made by North Coast before Estes came with 29mm mounts (and I believe there was a version with a 38mm mount and a payload section).

The Phantoms that were made by "North Coast By Estes" (with plastic, fin locking, centering rings) were the ones that were 28.5mm, so you have a North Coast By Estes Phantom 4000. And as others have probably mentioned, it was to assure that only Estes Dark Star motors could be used (the F62 was a really good motor!).

The Phantoms that were made by North Coast before Estes came with 29mm mounts (and I believe there was a version with a 38mm mount and a payload section).

Correct--also a 54MM version. The 38 and 54MM versions had TTW fins. They were both known as Phantom 4000HD's. I believe the 38MM was the "A" model and the 54MM was the "B" model. Both are fantastic rockets.
The 29MM Phantom 4000 sold for $25.00 in '91 when I bought it--using the '90 catalog I believe. I paid $30.00 for both the 38MM and 54MM versions. I am sorry to say that I had a CATO with the 29MM version about 10 years ago. The 38MM and 54MM versions are still flying strong. All NCR rockets were fantastic. Sorry to see that the deal to sell NCR to Just Rockets fell thru--although now it might not make that much difference. Hey Matt: with the space program going to the dogs--maybe you could start up NCR again. You are going to need some income. There go your plans to sell Helium 3 on Ebay.

Last edited:
Back