Help - How to Repair This Zipper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
Well I got carried away with the amount of BP for deployment :cry:(don't we all) and managed to zipper my 4" BSD Apache "Sublime" at LDRS (The BRIGHT green one). What would be the best way to repair this type of damage? The airframe is plain phenolic, no glass just auto paint and a clear coat. I guess cutting it would be the easiest but I hate to lose any length (no jokes please). Cutting it may just be the best/cleanest solution but I thought I would check with TRF before breaking out the chop saw. Thanks in advance - Peter

View attachment sublimezip2.JPG

Easiest method would be to cut it if there was enough material left to still couple too.

Johnnie

This may not be the best method but I've done it a couple of times.

Cut the tab thingy that is hanging out and then you will have a small gap there to fill in. Behind that gap and inside the tube, place some tape. Recommend using something strong like that plastic clear tape that you would use in taping up a box or something.
Then on top of that top and in that little gap, you can either place a dab of epoxy or some wood filler. Since this is a phenolic tubing I would try epoxy. Use something flat and flexible to smooth it out (my wife's library card works very well). Place painters tape on the outside and around the gap so epoxy doesn't smear everywhere.

Once dry, sand and paint.
Good luck.

Heres something else that I've done and I'll mention it here as an FYI. I had one rocket that has had 2 or 3 zippers (one of them was pretty deep) and the repairs that I've described above worked, but it was obvious that it was weakened in that area. Everytime I put the rocket together I can see a slight flexing which made me nervious. Instead of risking further damage I got some mylar tape at a local Hobby Town USA. I then cut out a section that was about 4 inches wide and would wrap around the body. I then placed it over that area and wrapped it tight to give it additional strength. I haven't had problems since.

If you don't want to cut the end off you could wrap it with a single layer of fiberglass tape. I have used fiberglass tape to repair zippers and dented tubes. The word "tape" is somewhat of a misnomer. Fiberglass tape is just a narrow strip of fiberglass that is several feet long. I have used 2-inch and 4-inch strips.

You would sand the area you want to repair, cut the size of fiberglass that you need and apply it with medium/long cure epoxy. Once the epoxy has fully cured you would sand it smooth and paint it.

Dave

Back