Help! Fins with pressure warp!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyAtl

Reaction score
My Estes/North Coast Phantom 4000 has spent much of the winter sitting leaning about 45 degrees in my garage. The two fins it was sitting on have warped toward the third fin. Attached is an attempt at a drawing of what it looks like.

Anyone have any idea how I can quickly correct this warping?? The rocket is currently sitting up straight on its fins, and over the past twelve hours the warping is a little less prominent, but still enough to drastically alter its flight path.

Estes used the cheaper three-ply wood in their kits (My Big Brute came with all four fins warped, but all the same way, so it flies ok, just with a very fast spin rate).

PhantomWarp.png

Steam, then press? (But don't take it to the launderers...)

I have heard of this being done with warped Executioner fins. Give the warped area a good "soaking" with steam. Then lay the rocket down so that the fin rests flat against a flat surface, cover it with wax paper and stack several heavy books on it. Leave it like that in a warm room for a couple of days.

Mark K.

Steam, then press? (But don't take it to the launderers...)

I have heard of this being done with warped Executioner fins. Give the warped area a good "soaking" with steam. Then lay the rocket down so that the fin rests flat against a flat surface, cover it with wax paper and stack several heavy books on it. Leave it like that in a warm room for a couple of days.

Mark K.

That's not exactly quick (I wanted to fly it this Saturday), and I'd have to repeat for the other fin.

Oh, and, these fins have been sealed and painted.

FWIW, the fins for my Phantom 4000 came warped, as well. I've never bothered to do anything about them, and the rocket has flown at least a dozen times without any problems.

The warping you have is really a cosmetic issue, and nothing else.

-Kevin

It won't be immediate, but one thing I would try is taking 2 pieces of flat wood and the clamping it onto the fins over the area that is warped. Over time, it may straighten them out.

Back