Help Cloning the Estes Astron Space Plane

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafgulch

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some tips on cloning the Astron Space Plane? I can find most of the parts on BMS website, except the NB-30 nose block.
Is anyone familair with how motor retention works on this kit? It uses a BT-30 body, so a 18mm motor need to be retained somehow. from looking at the plans on The JimZ site. it looks like the root of the wings hold the motor in place? See http://spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-03.htm. I have seen some upscale versions, but I no interest in an upscale version. This kit ejects the motor, but you have a 18mm motor in a BT-30 tube. Looking at the plans the BT-30 is notched at the aft end and the root edge of the wings holds the motor in place.I assume the motor need some open space around to handle the ejection charge. Is there a better way to do this is my question. I am just looking for tips on how to improve this kit and still keep as orignal looking as possible.

Paul

That was my first boost glider.

The NB-30 is easy to make. It is a constant diameter plug to deal the body tube at that point. It can be done from laminations of 1/4" balsa or similar.

While the wings do sort of hold the motor in place, I would plan on lightly taping the motor to give it an easy slip fit in the tube.

The BT-30 is about the same inside diameter as a BT-20, .015 larger. This allows some blow by when the motor is ejected. The BT-30 is a parallel wound paper tube, if I recall correctly.

It could be a little tricky to trim. I built one without the spin tabs on the tip fins. Got it to boost straight, but it was also a little tricky to trim.

Keep the finish light, with minimal sanding sealer and paint.

Last edited:
Tom,

Have you every built one? Is it worth cloning or am I in for a heap of trouble?

Well worth cloning. A very historical model that looks great gliding.

Do you have much boost glider experience?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think keeping the motor in place on the pad will be a problem. What I do with motor spitters is this: Cut a 1/2 inch X 3 inch piece of mylar from a space blanket (available at Walmart or wherever). Tape it to the motor, wrap around the case and insert. Sometimes the fit requires me to peel a layer of paper off of the motor but I don't think that will be a problem with an 18mm motor in the Bt-30 airframe. Helps me find the expended case after a flight.

SPACE PLANE . . . SEMROC & ESTES.

Dave F.

Attachments

• Space Plane.pdf
    938.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Semroc-Space Plane.rkt
    36.1 KB · Views: 14
  • k-03a - SMALL.jpg
    k-03a - SMALL.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 24
  • k-03b - SMALL.jpg
    k-03b - SMALL.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 24
  • k-03c - SMALL.jpg
    k-03c - SMALL.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 26
  • k-03d - SMALL.jpg
    k-03d - SMALL.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 23
  • k-03e - SMALL.jpg
    k-03e - SMALL.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 21
  • k-03f - SMALL.jpg
    k-03f - SMALL.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 25
  • k-03g - SMALL.jpg
    k-03g - SMALL.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The motor is held in place by the tension of the elastic thread pulling on the elevons, which is in contact with the motor casing.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some tips on cloning the Astron Space Plane? I can find most of the parts on BMS website, except the NB-30 nose block.
Is anyone familair with how motor retention works on this kit? It uses a BT-30 body, so a 18mm motor need to be retained somehow. from looking at the plans on The JimZ site. it looks like the root of the wings hold the motor in place? See http://spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-03.htm. I have seen some upscale versions, but I no interest in an upscale version. This kit ejects the motor, but you have a 18mm motor in a BT-30 tube. Looking at the plans the BT-30 is notched at the aft end and the root edge of the wings holds the motor in place.I assume the motor need some open space around to handle the ejection charge. Is there a better way to do this is my question. I am just looking for tips on how to improve this kit and still keep as orignal looking as possible.

Paul
The Space Plane ejected the engine for two reasons, to make it lighter and so that you could hold the elevators down during boost. One the engine ejected it released the elevators to flip up to flight trim.

Evidently, erockets carries some Semroc clones, but not the Astron Space Plane. This model was given to me by our local rocket club several years ago. I am surprised how small it is. The review by Chan Stevens in Rocket Reviews was helpful in building this model along with the original instructions that were posted by Ez2CDave. George Gassaway has a page written up on this model.

http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/SpacePlane/Spaceplane.html

Attachments

• IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: