Help Bunny Survive Winter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
Even though summer's got a couple weeks more to run, I'm thinking ahead about winter. I need a new winter coat, and as a transplanted Southerner, warmer is always better.

Who out here can recommend a great winter parka that'll satisfy an old Virginia boy when Chicago hits -25 F?

Well back up in Alaska, the outside workers always migrated towards Carharts for utility.

For walking around town the popular choice was Columbia. They have layered clothing that zips into each other (fleece into shell, etc.).

Both are relatively pricey though, because you're expected to have them for years to come.

I have a nice Columbia for CT winters. Nice thing is the fleece liner comes out and can be worn as a light jacket w/o the shell.

Here is one for you to consider. Mittens. They are much warmer than gloves.

Even though summer's got a couple weeks more to run, I'm thinking ahead about winter. I need a new winter coat, and as a transplanted Southerner, warmer is always better.

Who out here can recommend a great winter parka that'll satisfy an old Virginia boy when Chicago hits -25 F?

After all these years you haven't adapted to the cold? Or is it more a function of old age?

It doesn't get quite that cold here but multiple layers seem to keep the cold out.

Columbia has great jackets. HOWEVER, buy their upgraded product line at Dick's Sporting Goods or REI https://www.rei.com/product/787033, etc and stay away from their low-end product line at Kohls. Their higher end stuff is still really affordable and has much thicker materials, liners, etc.

I have a few North Face pullover fleece shirts https://www.rei.com/product/686599 that really work well for added insulation when it really gets cold.

Finally, just get this :) https://www.rei.com/product/725892 for all the variety you'll need in a hat, neck warmer, etc. and you're all set for winter.

Last edited:
After all these years you haven't adapted to the cold?

I'm OK until about Feb 15, then the Southern born brain goes "it's time for winter to be over", but it's got another 6 weeks to run here. The fact that we've gotten about 27" more snow than average the past two winters hasn't helped. .

Feb 15? You're not dealing with the cold Bunny - you're dealing with Cabin Fever!!!

I'm OK until about Feb 15, then the Southern born brain goes "it's time for winter to be over", but it's got another 6 weeks to run here. The fact that we've gotten about 27" more snow than average the past two winters hasn't helped. .

Then when you come to NARCON in Worcester the middle of March it should seem like the tropics.

I'll bet you think I'm working NARCON into everying I post on purpose. Honestly, nothing could be further from my mind than NARCON.

The fact that we've gotten about 27" more snow than average the past two winters hasn't helped.

Yeah, these last two winters have been terrible. The last one in particular was one the worst for snowfall and duration. It's about time for a nice one. I'm a real estate appraiser and inspect houses all the time. Winters with a lot of snowfall are dangerous because they cover up people's window wells. It's easy to walk around the perimeter of someone's house then suddenly fall through their cheapo plastic cover that goes over the top of the window well when it's completely covered with snow.

Actually, was online last night researching dethermalizers, though the Capitol Cup doesn't have S3 this year.

Then when you come to NARCON in Worcester the middle of March it should seem like the tropics.

Ah, but I have many purposes re: a NARCON trip next year.

(a) Eat some good East Coast seafood;

(b) Harass Bill; ;)

(c) Give a NARCON talk on Wallops Island;

(d) Harass Bill;:cyclops:

(e) Give a NARCON talk on "What In Your Workshop: Organizing for Better Building"

(f) Harass Bill;:)

(g) Finally attend a NARCON NAR Town Hall Meeting I don't have to run!

(h) Harass Bill. :D

Ah, but I have many purposes re: a NARCON trip next year.

(a) Eat some good East Coast seafood;

(b) Harass Bill; ;)

(c) Give a NARCON talk on Wallops Island;

(d) Harass Bill;:cyclops:

(e) Give a NARCON talk on "What In Your Workshop: Organizing for Better Building"

(f) Harass Bill;:)

(g) Finally attend a NARCON NAR Town Hall Meeting I don't have to run!

(h) Harass Bill. :D
Sounds like a full schedule.

Back