Hello

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassPlyr Randy

Reaction score
Greetings from Hot Springs, Arkansas. For the past couple weeks or so I have been lurking in the shadows reading your posts and learning your secrets and I have come to the conclusion that y'all have a nice little forum here, with a great bunch of folks. I decieded I'd like to be a part of it, so I registered and, as Buckwheat would say, here I is.

I'm looking to get back into Rocketry, not that I can really claim that I was ever really into it. All I ever built have been lp estes kits. I've never launched anything bigger than a D engine. I built my first kits as a kid in the 70's, then started to get into it again in the early 2000's and made several kits, but life seemed to get in the way and I just didn't have the time. Now I am disabled and nothing but time. Not much money, but plenty of time. I plan on starting with some lpr kits but with the hopes to move into mpr and eventually go for level 1 cert.

When I first moved here, (I moved to Arkansas about 1 1/2 year ago from Oregon) Anyway, when I moved here I was told that power outages was not uncommon so I should put together an emergency box for the house. As we all know, an important part of any emergency box is something to do while the power is out. On a shopping trip to Michaels, I spotted some estes rockets and thought, that would be perfect for my emergency box. (Oh, did see a thread about Michaels, and yes, the one in Hot Springs still has a small section of estes rockets and accessories) Anyway, I just happen to have a few kits sitting here just begging to be built, Hi-Flier, Wizard, Guardian, Metalizer, Photon Probe.

I read a thread on here about the Hi-Flier having stability issues, so I will probably start with the Wizard and one of the others and build two of then concurently. And that should tell you something about me. Starting off with just one build isn't good enough for me, noooo I have to start building 2 at once. hahaha

I would warn you all in advance, and perhaps it's too late, but once I get started, I can be a bit of a long-winded SOB.

Anyway, Hello, I'm here,

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Couple of things:
This is a great forum, and it is addicting!
Lots of people on here have never launched anything bigger than a D engine.
Most people say that, and now some of them are getting their L3 cert.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the nut house.

About the Hi-Flyer - it only has troubles when you try to slip a C in there. Flies great on A&Bs though. You can always add a little nose weight after the build - there's people here who will tell you how! But, if you do put a C in it, be sure to have lots of eyes around.

Kevin

Starting off with just one build isn't good enough for me, noooo I have to start building 2 at once. hahaha

Don't worry, building 10 or more rockets at once isn't terribly rare-- my personal record is 11 builds going on simultaneously. Now I am down to about half a dozen. :grin:

Welcome to TRF!

Welcome to the Zoo! Some of the animals bite, but that's just their way of saying hello.
Build what you fly, and fly what you build. Above all else, have fun and play safe!

Terry

Our rocket club encourages rockets of all sizes, lpr, mpr, hpr. We do not look down at the lpr guys. Anyway, there might be a local club near you that you could check out. Flying with others is a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

Thank You all for the welcome. I'm sure I'm going to really benefit from and enjoy being a member of this community. I have already learned quite a bit.

Not that I have looked yet, but so far I haven't seen anywhere that would make an acceptable launch site yet in Hot Springs. But I will go out with my sister, who has lived here 30 years, and see if we can find somewhere.

I was hoping to find a club locally, but so far have not found anything. So far, the closest club I found is in Memphis TN. Once I get some rockets ready to fly, if I haven't found anything closer to home, I'll give the TN club a call.

Welcome! Whatever you fly,Micro Max to a HP behemoth just have fun I say. Great folk here,great to learn from too. Estes is into big rockets now,can do Mid Power with a great assortment. Finding a place to fly can be tough,soccer fields are great,I have used Google maps with satellite view to find fields.

Last edited:
Let me also welcome you to the nut house. Good group of people and a lot of answers to questions you may have along the way. I have only been here a few months and have learned a lot. It can take awhile to read all the older posts but it is worth it to check them out (some people get cranky if they have to keep answering the same questions :wink:) Have fun with your kit acquisitions. It's a great way to spend time.

Hey welcome to the forum... this truly is a great place... when i got back into rockets it was because of my son... as stated the Pro Series II rockets are a great way to get into MPR... they really arnt much different then a LPR build... they are what pushed me into mpr and have since then pushed me into doing scratch builds... but i still build and fly LPR a lot... as you have already seen there is a lot of good info here at your disposal and i hope you have a good time... i sure am

Welcome, Randy! I was totally in your shoes when I joined this forum a couple of years ago. Now I'm primarily a scratch builder, and belong to two clubs. I never thought I'd get my Level 1, but did, and now I'm going for my Level 2. It is addicting! All that I've learned and accomplished in this hobby is due primarily to this forum. There is an incredible amount of knowledge here, and plenty of encouragement. Hang on and enjoy the ride!

Thank You All ... I got the warm fuzzies all over .... I can't wait until I got a build or two to share with ya. I'm putting a list together of everything I need and should be ordering my supplies in the next day or two. I realized I didn't even have an exacto knife or even glue to build a model with. I'm been reading a lot looking for places to buy my supplies from. I'm finding one of the hardest things to locate is kevlar for shock cords. I keep searching and reading threads and making notes about vendors when I see them mentioned.

For Kevlar, I usually use Missile Works. There is probably less expensive Kevlar out there, but I use them because they have larger sizes. For the vast majority of my LPR and MPR motors, epoxy, and some scratch building components, I use Hobbylinc. For MPR scratch building components, I usually use Balsa Machining. For HPR components, I usually use LOC Precision. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite vendors.

Welcome to TRF! One of the greatest things about this hobby are the people that participate in it. You'll always find rocketeers willing to help others with whatever they got going on. Also, the size of your motor does not dictate your status in the rocketry world...simply put, size doesn't matter...lol. Granted, once you start on the path of bigger motors, it's REALLY hard to stop. Until your bank account tells you to, that is. Have fun!

Apogee Rockets is about 15 minutes from my house... so i generally get everything from there... if they dont have it hobbylinc should or balsa machine... i get very things from hobbylobby bass wood balsa ply elastic cord exacto blades a through g estes motors and a kit from time to time... and if i need a new hobby board which is too often... i get everything else from homedepot lowes walmart and ace... glues epoxy paint misc hardware yada yada yada... and i use mark (stickershock23) for vinyl...

Mainly the other vendors on here i look for kits

You can also check with your local sewing shops... sometimes they will have kevlar cord... i know there is one here that has it and nomex thread and fabric that i use on my race suits... also they will have what ever elastic shock cord you can possibly need...

Last edited:
Back