Hello!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supern0va

Reaction score
Hi, I am a rocket enjoyer who wants to start doing model rocketry!
I have started up a club at my local school and we are going to participate in the ARC, and I also want to learn more about the nitty gritty with rockets!

Hi, I am a rocket enjoyer who wants to start doing model rocketry!
I have started up a club at my local school and we are going to participate in the ARC, and I also want to learn more about the nitty gritty with rockets!
You have come to the right place! :welcome::bravo:

Start with a starter set, they're made specifically for new enjoyers (AKA RokitNutz:)). The Quest sets are very reasonable, and have most of what is needed: launch pad, launch system, rocket kit. You supply glue, paint (optional), batteries for the launch system, recovery wadding**, and rocket motors. In those particular sets, the rockets have molded plastic fin cans that are much easier than gluing fins onto the body tube.

Recommended motors depend in part on the clear recovery area. Rockets that go too high may drift into rocket-eating trees (evolutionary product of kite-eating trees;) ). For either of the Quest sets I would suggest a pack or two of Estes B6-4 motors. Estes motors use a different propellant and are a little easier for the beginner to use than the QJet motors. But once you're more familiar with rocketry, QJet motors are rather impressive (in my opinion) vs. Estes motors of the same power.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to order another rocket kit or two along with the starter kit, something a little more advanced. The Big Bertha (Estes) or Big Betty (Quest) are popular choices for Rocket #2. The hardest part for most beginners is gluing balsa fins to the body tube.

Good luck! You are about to commit the unforgivable sin of 'having fun'!!

**Recovery wadding is flameproof paper that keeps the hot "ejection charge" gases from melting the parachute. Rocket vendors sell it, but crumpled crepe paper is cheap and works well. Most dedicated rocket folks use blow-in paper (not fiberglass) insulation from Lowes, Home Despot, etc. One bale is a lifetime supply. You'll see it called 'dog barf' because that's what a blob looks like after rain.

Back