Hello!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iocat

Reaction score
I met someone this weekend -- he helped me get my rocket out of a tree in Redmond, WA -- and he suggested I join here.

As a child I did rockets in a school program and dreamt of getting that 110-camera in a rocket that Estes made back then. I've done a few launches with my (now adult) son, but I saw the Estes Astrocam in a hobby shop recently and that was like my childhood dream. Since August I've done 3 days of launches (12 total launches) with two rockets, the Astrocam and a... "Generic E2X" I still have both rockets, so that is definitely a personal record, although the Astrocam only has about a 66% "good landing" rate. I got to enjoy seeing Astrocam's ejection charge blow off the fins on flight 5 of 9, so that was kind of exciting.

I'm really here to find out a few things about mods I want to make to the Astrocam rocket -- ideally a second chute (or a streamer?) just for the nose cone to reduce rotation during descent and increase the chance I record the nosecone / camera. Longer term I'd like to get that nosecone on a rocket I build from scratch more or less.

I'm curious what the attitude is towards folks who fly their rockets w/ no decals or paint.

I met someone this weekend -- he helped me get my rocket out of a tree in Redmond, WA -- and he suggested I join here.

As a child I did rockets in a school program and dreamt of getting that 110-camera in a rocket that Estes made back then. I've done a few launches with my (now adult) son, but I saw the Estes Astrocam in a hobby shop recently and that was like my childhood dream. Since August I've done 3 days of launches (12 total launches) with two rockets, the Astrocam and a... "Generic E2X" I still have both rockets, so that is definitely a personal record, although the Astrocam only has about a 66% "good landing" rate. I got to enjoy seeing Astrocam's ejection charge blow off the fins on flight 5 of 9, so that was kind of exciting.

I'm really here to find out a few things about mods I want to make to the Astrocam rocket -- ideally a second chute (or a streamer?) just for the nose cone to reduce rotation during descent and increase the chance I record the nosecone / camera. Longer term I'd like to get that nosecone on a rocket I build from scratch more or less.

I'm curious what the attitude is towards folks who fly their rockets w/ no decals or paint.
I’ve flown rockets both all made up and completely “naked”. I have no strong opinion either way.

These days I find myself applying at least a base coat (or buying rockets without painting required) because the browns and whites of typical rocket construction blend in with my local flying field. But if I’m really excited to get something in the air, I’m confident I can get it back, and I don’t really care about impressing anybody with cosmetics, I’ll fly them naked.

My single scale build (also intended for mg upcoming L1 attempt) or anything I’m really proud of will usually get more involved decoration.

Compare it with my entry to my club’s precision egg lifting event, both completed this month.

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

As for Astrocam modifications, the sky is the limit. You could have the camera module recover separately from the airframe, install it on a different airframe, or replace it with something else altogether. It’s a pretty simple mod, actually. It’s a BT-50 tube so anything you can get in that size is fair game, and there are transition modules available in some kits if you want to expand its compatibility.

I’d say try the streamer with the camera if you must, but keep the parachute on the actual Astrocam launch vehicle. The white tubes tend to compress along the spiral in hard landings, but this isn’t as much of a problem in the brown or colored tubes.

Here’s a Ghost Chaser payload section grafted onto an Estes Cadet lower section (another BT-50 kit). The parachute has been replaced with a streamer and the payload section is filled with LED lights, both of which are ideal for night flights. This photo is a little old, the booster has now been fitted with reflective cats-eye tape.

IMG_0727.jpeg

Just a few ideas to spark your creativity.

Last edited:
Welcome. If you want to try building from scratch or modifying something look at the BMS website. Lots of parts and the prices are good. I've built over 200 rockets and get most of my supplies from them. Full disclosure. I live 5 minutes from them and are friends with the owner. Let your mind wander and think of rocket designs. Also Google 1950's rockets and look at the pictures for inspiration. Have fun. Be a kid again.

Our admin, Chuck H, has a sig with a reasonable attitude on flying 'em naked:
"My rockets usually fly naked. If they survive, they earn their paint."

A few tidbits which you may already be familiar with. Blue text is a clickable link.

One of my favorite online stores is Balsa Machining. Bill has a huge selection of body tubes, nose cones, centering rings, balsa fin stock and blocks, etc. for the scratch-builder. His prices for motors are very competitive. And he has one of the lowest-priced mid-power kits available---the 3" 29mm 'School Rocket'. It can even fly on low-end H motors, should you wish to get into high-power rocketry.

AC Supply sells discounted Estes kits and motors. Great service.

JimZ's site has plans/instructions for most kits that Estes, Centuri et al have ever made, as well as "Design of the Month" rockets and many others.

OpenRocket is a free and fun program for designing rockets, testing for stability, estimating altitude, etc. Here is a list of some OR files for older and current rockets. You can print templates for fins, transitions, nose cones, get altitude estimates, etc.

Warning: Rocketry is a bug that bites deep and rarely lets go. ;) It bit me around 1965...

Best,
Terry

Back