Hello World! Restarting after 25 years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEntity1

Reaction score
Greetings, I am considering getty back into model rocketry after 25 years away :) I am posting in both the low-power and mid-power rocketry forums, since I'm interested in the opinions of both groups.

I saw the add about the Rocket Challenge on their website, but missed the show itself...I work most nights and didn't learn about the show until just before the last showing on the 22 last month.

What actually brought me here was a link from Hobbyspace.com, which I was visiting to read an article about Cal-State Long Beach's new Aerospike rocket. I arrived at Hobbyspace.com from a link on Space.com. I've been a reader of Space.com for over five years.

At any rate, I hadn't known how much amateur rocketry had changed since I last flew rockets as a small boy. I've spent the last week during my limited spare time reading some of the various websites such as rocketsonline and flyrockets gathering information about the current state of the sport.

I am interested in eventually getting started in high power rocketry (possibly persuing it as far as cert level II) and joining Tripoli. However, I want to move up in steps.

To start I thought I would get an Estes E2X starter kit such as the super shot, fly each of the rockets that comes with it once or twice, then give those rockets to my young nephews. I would replace the 1/8"x24" rod on the launcher with a 3/16" 36" rod.

Based on what I have read on this forum over the last few days, I thought my next kit would be an Estes Big Bertha (I would buy a separate tubular nylon shock-cord for it), then a Fliskits Praetor [sic]. Because I want to move up to Mid-power quickly, I would try an Estes Eliminator as my first 'E'-capable rocket, then I would consider getting the Aerotech Initiator starter kit. From there, I would move up more gradually.

What do the folks in Lower-Power and Mid-Power rocketry think of this plan? :)

One note of concern:
I'm planning on attending a model rocket launch hosted by SCRA, Nar #430 this Sunday. I plan on making my first purchases at the event itself. I already applied for full NAR membership, but received no confirmation e-mail. Since my membership card won't arrive until well after this sunday, will I still be able to make purchases at the event, and will there be any other problems I might encounter from not having my membership information yet?
:confused:

I think that sounds like a great plan. I started kinda the same way, doing several low power Estes type rockets, then getting the Initiator starter set. I love my Initiator! It's a great flyer, and easy to build. If you get the starter set, make sure you get the set with the reloadable motor casing. In the long run, reloads will be much cheaper than using single use motors all the time. If you join a club (which it sounds like you have), anyone there will be willing to help you with the reloads if you need help until you get used to them.

I started with the Initiator, and also got the Mustang, and recently built the Barracuda. I also have a couple of Public Missiles kits to help me step into high power. I recently built the PML Small Endeavour to use for my Level 1 certification, and also just got the PML Amraam 2 for mid power and high power flights.

As for you buying things at the launch, you won't need the NAR card unless you're buying high power items, which you're not. I wouldn't worry about it if you're just flying low power. If you are still concerned about it, you could call NAR, explain your situation, and they could give you your number over the phone.

Welcome back to the hobby!

Mark

Welcome back to rocketry and welcome to TRF (man, pull up a chair and take yer coat off, you're gonna be here for a while :) )

Sounds like a great plan (and you're going to love the Praetor - think about the Richter Recker too for clusters of E motors)

You will find a lot of help, activity and growth within and from TRF.

jim

Also welcome back. I too took a similar route back into the hobby buying an Estes starter kit at first, then various Estes/Quest kits (sorry Jim, I didn't know about FlisKits at the time;)) and my first true mid-power kit was the Aerotech Initiator (with launch pad, controller and RMS casing/motors). I now have my Level 1 High Power certification and plan to get my Level 2 soon. But, I still enjoy the model rockets and don't get me started on kit bashing!:D

Welcome back friend, you fwon't ind a better class of people anywhere else on the net...except for the launch field.

Born Again Rocketeer a B.A.R. you shall be, I have been a BAR since Nov. 97...

Johnnie Paul

Wecome. This sounds like a good plan to me. I fly mostly low power, but also some smaller mid range as well (Fs). The eliminator is a great kit as it can be flown on ESTES Es or Aerotech 24mm AP motors as well. I have an ESTES V2 that was designed for D12s back in the 1970s, and reissued for E motors. I however boosted the strngth of the motor mount tube, added a nylon 36" parachute, and fly it on F21 AP motors:rolleyes:

It is great fun!! Check out the flame shooting out of this baby:

welcome back to the hobby!

great choice of rockets too!

NewEntity1 I can't offer any advice but it sounds like you have a good plan and people with knowledge think so. I have only been at this for three days, working on my first low power models, but I can tell you this without any doubt - the folks here are great and extremely helpfull and willing to share their knowledge. You will be glad you came in. Welcome

Greetings! Welcome back to the "world" of rocketry! Much has probably changed since you last flew rockets. If ever you have a question regarding *any* aspect of the hobby, find the right forum and ask away! You'll be amazed at how much knowledge is on this website alone. If it's quick responses you need, there is no need to go further.

Welcome to TRF. We're glad to have you here!

Welcome aboard! Love to see new people come here. It was only a couple of years ago I got back into rockets. I have absolutely no clue what brought me here, but I'm so glad I did. Hang around, ask questions, offer thoughts, and don't worry about what people will think. Everyone here is here to help when they can and learn from you when they can't. Enjoy the launch you attend and just walk around and look at what people are doing. Ask them questions as well. You'll find that, as a rule, rocketry people are some of the friendliest folks you'll find. They'll be happy to explain anything you ask of them.

Oh, yeah. When you build something, post pictures here. We're all simple folk. We love dem der foto-gerfy thangs! :D

Originally posted by NewEntity1

I'm planning on attending a model rocket launch hosted by SCRA, Nar #430 this Sunday. I plan on making my first purchases at the event itself. I already applied for full NAR membership, but received no confirmation e-mail. Since my membership card won't arrive until well after this sunday, will I still be able to make purchases at the event, and will there be any other problems I might encounter from not having my membership information yet?
:confused:

You shouldn't have any problems buying and flying low and mid power. You are required to join NAR (or Tripoli) to certify high power, membership is not required for model rockets. I don't know any clubs that require NAR membership to fly low power.

Thanks for all the responses! This was a very nice welcoming :)

I'll have to be sure to welcome the next person who joins in the same way :)

Welcome NewEntity1 - you won't find a nicer group of people than those who frequent this board.

When I came back into this hobby after about a 35 year absence (built my first rockets back in 1968) this was one of the first web sites I found. I can't even begin to tell you how much rocketry knowledge is concentrated on this forum. Whatever you run into, someone on this forum will help you out.

Also you'll find some great products available from some of the members of this forum.

Have Fun - this hobby is addictive!!

Probably one of the great things about TRF that really makes it work is (in my humble opinion) this:

first and foremost, a great group of people right down the list.

second: We have a very large threshold of members and lurkers so there are always a lot of folks on.

third (and critically important for any forum), we have a high threshold of very active members who post often (guilty... :p ) even if just to post a birthday wish or to say "very cool".

What this does is promote an "active environment". It's like a party where there are dozens of conversations going on and a constant din of background noise and activity. You feel comfortable and welcome in such an environment even if is just to listen in on a conversation. At some point, you are more apt to pop in with a remark or observation and feel that you've contributed.

Unlike a party where there is nothing going on and everybody is standing off on their own, not talking. You don't feel welcome, there's nothing to listen to and you don't feel like being the first one to speak...

good stuff, this.

...so that is the good feeling I get when I come to this Forum...

you hit the proverbial "nail on the head" Jim, Thanks

Johnnie Paul

From one recently returning B.A.R to another, Welcome back :)
I am currently restricting myself to low power do mainly to the lack of suitable launching areas :(

Latest posts

Back