Hello there

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s197shelby

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Introducing myself. I've started to come back to the rocketry hobby after a long absence. I built a lot of rockets as a kid in the early 90's, some kits but mostly scratch building. Being under 18 at the time and lack of funds kept me from getting into the mid and high power stuff. Now almost 25 years later I'm looking to get back into it. Here to get advice and ideas. I'm not an engineer by trade but have a passion for all of it. Really looking forward to getting started and getting some certifications.

Hi everyone. Introducing myself. I've started to come back to the rocketry hobby after a long absence. I built a lot of rockets as a kid in the early 90's, some kits but mostly scratch building. Being under 18 at the time and lack of funds kept me from getting into the mid and high power stuff. Now almost 25 years later I'm looking to get back into it. Here to get advice and ideas. I'm not an engineer by trade but have a passion for all of it. Really looking forward to getting started and getting some certifications.
Your story could have been mine, your gap was just about 10 years longer.

I got started again last summer with a few easy-build Estes kits with 13mm mini motors. You can’t really go wrong there and you can do some interesting stuff at that scale. FlisKits and others also offer fun, challenging kits for the 6mm Quest MicroMaxx motors, equivalent to 1/8A. Most kit manufacturers also sell components so you can scratch-build with their stuff.

If you practice your fundamentals with a few builds and regular launch activity, you’ll be an expert in no time.

Welcome! Here are a few sources:

For the scratchbuilder, Balsa Machining and eRockets have all the parts you could want, and then some. For Estes kits, AC Supply has them heavily discounted. All of these have motors but watch out for hazmat charges. D motors and some composite motors and composite reload kits may be purchased without hazmat.

For high power...way too many dealers and vendors to list.

Best,
Terry

Back