Hello from the Midwest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfer

Reaction score
I just joined as I'm looking to get back into rocketry after retiring. I loved building rockets and flying them as a kid and got into it again when my son was in Cub Scouts. I remember my last launch as I put my childhood favorite (Big Bertha) into a tree. The kids loved it and we had to talk several of them out of climbing the tree to get it. Now that I have some time on my hands I'm looking to get into higher power rockets.

I just joined as I'm looking to get back into rocketry after retiring. I loved building rockets and flying them as a kid and got into it again when my son was in Cub Scouts. I remember my last launch as I put my childhood favorite (Big Bertha) into a tree. The kids loved it and we had to talk several of them out of climbing the tree to get it. Now that I have some time on my hands I'm looking to get into higher power rockets.
Where are you located?

Your story sounds like mine. I was big into this in the last half of the 1960s and then with my children in the 1990s. But I just retired at 68 and am now absorbed again. Plus there is so much new and available content and information (like this forum) to enjoy. The free Open Rocket software is amazing, for example.

Jack

Welcome!! I had a similar experience. Just retired. Got asked by a friend to drive him to a hobby store so he could by a model rocket for his kid. I walked into the store and found myself in Nirvana. I wanted to buy everything. Now I'm hooked, and basically building a fleet of rockets, each one getting bigger and bigger.

Yup. It’s a bit addictive but that is fine with me. Hobby Lobby has limited selection but great prices. Kits cheap enough to use for parts for your own design. Thats where the Open Rocket download is worth millions, and there are many You Tube videos explaining how to use it. I am trying designs on the computer that I then take to my workshop/sanctuary. Wife is very cool with this too.

You should check out the rocketry club iSOAR as they fly around Indianola, IA and are the closest to Des Moines. And even though it says you need to sign in to view, I just clicked on it and it takes you right there. YMMV
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1539686736074380/
The only other club that I know of is FSR a NAR club who flies out of Mt Auburn, IA which is definitely further than Indianola.
https://www.nar.org/local_club/fairfax-society-of-rocketry-fsr-849/
Welcome Back. Lots of us are Born Again Rocketeers.

Brad

Central Iowa here.

I fly with Isoar, TQC in Illinois and Kloudbusters in KS, THOR in Nebraska is another relatively close option as well, all great groups.

Please tell me more about FSR. I thought it was just a TARC group that registered as a NAR section for the insurance benefit, but I have not checked it out.

Alan in Iowa City
Sorry, I don't know anymore than what their website says. I think that they used to put on some larger launches if memory serves.

Does anybody recall if this was the group that put on the "Down on the Farm" launches?

Brad

Back