Hello from the Great White North!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like, Good day, eh!!

SO, like, I'm Paul, and I'm another Hoser, but from the French part of the country.. "Vive la Poutine Libre"

So, welcome..

(Vancouver? Merrit? Inverness? Calgary? Medicine Hat? Lethbridge? Battleford? MooseJaw? Estevan?..)

Welcome to our group Jerry. The people here are great, and their collective knowledge is incredible. No matter what you ever need help with, one or more will know. Likely, a lot more than one...
I'm also Canadian, but transplanted a bit over 3 years ago to Indiana. It's said that we people will move from one country to another for either work or for a girl. For me, it was for my girl, now my wife of 3 years and a bit.
There are 2 TRA Prefectures nearby, Tripoli Michiana where I started to fly HPR in 1991 at Three Oaks Michigan, only an hour away. It was named Michigan Team-1 back then, and the new Michigan Team-1, about 3 hours and a bit away into MI.
I know that you'll very much enjoy being a member of our group. The very bestest (my word) of rocketeers around.

Have there been any group rocket launches in Western Canada recently?

Re launches in Western Canada, 2021 was a disaster, COVID, and Fire Bans effectively wiped out Rock Lake, and the normal two day Sullivan Lake High Power launches. Think Fall fire was also cancelled. On the model side, no major launches of note were held for the same reasons. Edmonton Rocket Club has announced Fire and Ice 2022 and AARM 50+2, Calgary Rocketry has announced Sullivan Lake, and their Spring Hanna launch, Lethbridge club has announced Rock Lake , and Airdrie Space Science Club will soon announce it's 2022 meeting and launch schedule. Of course like last year we could still be adversely effected by weather, fire bans or additional COVID (highly unlikely) issues. Welcome!

Garth Illerbrun
CAR S04 L3
NAR 26894 L2

Howdy, Jerry,
Welcome to the Forum.
I got to participate in Trial Embow VII at Cold Lake in the late '90s, and not only do I have great memories, I have great friends there.
Couple of memories stand out...
Leaving in late September/early October, the waterfowl migration had begun... literally, the sky seemed blocked out!
That, and your Whitetails are twice as big as ours here in Central Texas.

And also from Pittsburgh, PA! My closest visit to "Western Canada" was either Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (actually in Canada) or Anacortes (souty end of Bellingham Bay south of Vancouver on the US side). Good folks here, as has been noted!

Last edited:
Re launches in Western Canada, 2021 was a disaster, COVID, and Fire Bans effectively wiped out Rock Lake, and the normal two day Sullivan Lake High Power launches. Think Fall fire was also cancelled. On the model side, no major launches of note were held for the same reasons. Edmonton Rocket Club has announced Fire and Ice 2022 and AARM 50+2, Calgary Rocketry has announced Sullivan Lake, and their Spring Hanna launch, Lethbridge club has announced Rock Lake , and Airdrie Space Science Club will soon announce it's 2022 meeting and launch schedule. Of course like last year we could still be adversely effected by weather, fire bans or additional COVID (highly unlikely) issues. Welcome!

Garth Illerbrun
CAR S04 L3
NAR 26894 L2
We did have a one day launch in September at an alternate to Sullivan Lake, and Fall Fire (only 20 minutes away) did go off as scheduled in October...
The Edmonton club is prepping for Fire & Ice near the end of February and fire bans are unlikely when everything is still covered in snow...but it should be a great time...

Lloydminster - on the SK/AB border
That is quite a bit north! I have been as far east as Calgary, and as far north as Jasper. December/January '91. I have been further east to places like Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City, PEI, NB etc as well, but that side was more in the fall

Last edited:
We did have a one day launch in September at an alternate to Sullivan Lake, and Fall Fire (only 20 minutes away) did go off as scheduled in October...
The Edmonton club is prepping for Fire & Ice near the end of February and fire bans are unlikely when everything is still covered in snow...but it should be a great time...

Maybe I can ship rockets, then fly out and level up...

Back