Hello from the CFHS Rocket Club!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hredfern

Reaction score
Hello all! I am a member of my high school's rocket club and new to rocketry forum. I've been building mid-high powered rockets for about 3 years now (some school projects, some personal). We just recently wrapped up test flights for our NASA SLI project. For the payload this year, we used and array of cameras, as well as a data collection computer to create a 360 degree video of the flight (from the perspective of the rocket, and including animated data displays). I joined rocketry forum because I am so excited about what we were able to produce and want to be able to share it with a community of people who will be just as excited! I've linked the video below. If anyone has any advice on how to better share this video, please let me know!

Also, if you want to check out more specifics about our project, you can visit our website: https://www.cfhsrocketclub.com/projects-3

Welcome Aboard 👍🏼
That 360 camera footage is awesome
Nice job !!!

Hello all! I am a member of my high school's rocket club and new to rocketry forum. I've been building mid-high powered rockets for about 3 years now (some school projects, some personal). We just recently wrapped up test flights for our NASA SLI project. For the payload this year, we used and array of cameras, as well as a data collection computer to create a 360 degree video of the flight (from the perspective of the rocket, and including animated data displays). I joined rocketry forum because I am so excited about what we were able to produce and want to be able to share it with a community of people who will be just as excited! I've linked the video below. If anyone has any advice on how to better share this video, please let me know!

Also, if you want to check out more specifics about our project, you can visit our website: https://www.cfhsrocketclub.com/projects-3

OK. Wow. Great work.

I was interested in your project and watched the video, but it just seemed fake to me. I came back to the thread and figured 50 people would be saying it was just a rendering from a video game or something, but nothing. Hmm. I read your link about what the project goals were and then realized the team was doing camera work and integrating to VR. I'm old and don't play in that space, so I didn't watch the video right. . .

Once I watched the video again and clicked around, seeing all the visual data you did gather and understanding a little bit about the difficulties involved in doing that, I can simply say that I am very impressed at the task your Highschool team achieved. It involves many different technical challenges and things that old guys like me aren't involved with.

I hope this project helps all of you to get into the colleges you choose and also helps with financial aid, as you should go far and it will cost your parents a ton of money to keep pushing you toward your full potential, but the world needs you all working at your full potential.

Great work CHFS Rocket Club! Please PM me for a donation.

Sandy.

I am not 100% sure how to individually reply yet... but thank you so much for all the kind responses!

@Ronz Rocketz We used 3 GoPro Hero 10s to record the flight. The link below is the most recent report we wrote and submitted for NASA SLI. Pages 39-54 and 62-64 include a lot of detail about the cameras, sensors, and integration into the rocket.
https://www.cfhsrocketclub.com/_files/ugd/e75a1c_69a2b3c0e9cd4be2a52674e89ec6890f.pdf
But, this screen shot from CAD sums it up pretty well. It's all housed inside a coupler with a switch-band like feature we've called the "window band." This coupler is attached to the nosecone and separates from the body tube when the main parachute deploys.
pqg5r9enlyba3fBRSPv-fA9vJu-2rFyeRJXNIZzS-LuDVFMjgZhfNZpckV2ClPjUoG7LVTsgfUuNH605HcAxqSF2IZjUao3tqHy9h0yTPQ5W2LX1jHFcdG6FfZ1bWpmXMYMxF0iFWXZd

Also, here's a picture of the rocket! We went with Heimdall as the face for the project. Our club has had a history of naming projects after figures in Norse mythology and with Heimdall being the "all seeing" god, he matched up perfectly with our payload. You can see Marvel Comic's depiction of Heimdall on the side of the rocket.
1649629724930.png

Back