Hello from sandy eggo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1904 hank

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New here. Got back into this hobby with the kids. Whatever it takes to get off their electronics, I build they paint and launch. Lol. I Have questions and need help with some new rockets . Looking forward to chatting with everyone. Stay blessed

Hello everyone. New here. Got back into this hobby with the kids. Whatever it takes to get off their electronics, I build they paint and launch. Lol. I Have questions and need help with some new rockets . Looking forward to chatting with everyone. Stay blessed
Hey hey!

I’m in Poway and I’m a member of the local low-power sport club, the Diego Area Rocketry Team (DART). You’re welcome to send me a personal message anytime and I’d be happy to help at a launch.

There’s also a high-power club, Tripoli San Diego, that’s worth checking out. I don’t fly high-power myself but they have a nice site and a high ceiling, so I bring my small stuff out to fly with them occasionally. Lots of knowledgeable guys out there too.

Welcome to the party Hank. Whatcha buildin’ ?
Funny u should ask . Well I have a bunch of estes rockets c to f rockets . Saw an offer up ad that had more engines .but it came with the initiator kit along with all types of motors reloadable ones and the 4" bullpup. . Have a bunch of bunch of questions.

Hey hey!

I’m in Poway and I’m a member of the local low-power sport club, the Diego Area Rocketry Team (DART). You’re welcome to send me a personal message anytime and I’d be happy to help at a launch.

There’s also a high-power club, Tripoli San Diego, that’s worth checking out. I don’t fly high-power myself but they have a nice site and a high ceiling, so I bring my small stuff out to fly with them occasionally. Lots of knowledgeable guys out there too.
Hello. Yes I saw dart when I was googling where I can launch at in Daygo. I see u are close. That is awesome . . I will Def be messaging u . If that's OK.
:welcome: post pictures please

Hello. Yes I saw dart when I was googling where I can launch at in Daygo. I see u are close. That is awesome . . I will Def be messaging u . If that's OK.

Attachments

• 16573071570677059002379511464877.jpg
    16573071570677059002379511464877.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 16573072095028772084551279350069.jpg
    16573072095028772084551279350069.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1657307537985783814403134469322.jpg
    1657307537985783814403134469322.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
Sounds good. I believe there’s a “start conversation” button that pops up if you tap, roll over, click on my username (I forget how it works on desktop browsers). From there I can send you instructions on how to find me at the range. Or you can become a Supporting Member of the forum and get this information from the Off The Record section.

Funny u should ask . Well I have a bunch of estes rockets c to f rockets . Saw an offer up ad that had more engines .but it came with the initiator kit along with all types of motors reloadable ones and the 4" bullpup. . Have a bunch of bunch of questions.

I’ve got a couple of reloadables that I plan to fly with DART. I can show you how they work and how they go together. They’re not excessively complicated or difficult but there are a number of things that must be done right. For that reason, kiddos and adult newcomers are usually better off cutting their teeth on single-use motors and saving reloadables for when they feel they’re experienced fliers ready for a challenge via dedicated learning exercise.

Welcome from Northern Utah. I just whipped together a rocket last night so my 7 year old could paint it today. Same reason 😂
Ken

Sounds good. I believe there’s a “start conversation” button that pops up if you tap, roll over, click on my username (I forget how it works on desktop browsers). From there I can send you instructions on how to find me at the range. Or you can become a Supporting Member of the forum and get this information from the Off The Record section.

I’ve got a couple of reloadables that I plan to fly with DART. I can show you how they work and how they go together. They’re not excessively complicated or difficult but there are a number of things that must be done right. For that reason, kiddos and adult newcomers are usually better off cutting their teeth on single-use motors and saving reloadables for when they feel they’re experienced fliers ready for a challenge via dedicated learning exercise.
That sounds awesome . I know I'm bit at a loss . Looking forward to getting more into the hobby and launch the big stuff eventually. This is what I got in the purchase of the engines I wanted .

Attachments

• 16573107888539159672622073629083.jpg
    16573107888539159672622073629083.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
Well just received the 4""bull pup . First rocket that has plywood fins . I'm at a loss with the reloadable engines .
Ok, a 4 inch Bullpup with plywood fins. Cardboard airframe? Who makes it? The jump to reloads from Estes black powder can be intimidating. I flew single use for years before making the jump. The best way to learn about reloads is to watch one being built by one of your new rocket buddies at DART or Tripoli San Diego. The second best way is to watch a video:

I can't find the place here. Got witha bunch of stuff from offer up . Def a big jump from estes. Do u have video on how to set up the aerotek interlock controller. No alligator clips on it . Newbie here

Attachments

• 16573113330582213888932754288879.jpg
    16573113330582213888932754288879.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
I can't find the place here. Got witha bunch of stuff from offer up . Def a big jump from estes. Do u have video on how to set up the aerotek interlock controller. No alligator clips on it . Newbie here
Yep, you got some vintage gear there hank. Peenemunda West, Dr Rockets cases ... I believe that the Interlock controller came with special clips designed for single lead Copperhead ignitors. Some surgery will be needed to replace those with microclips.

Last edited:
Really . So don't use them . Got it . Lol. Guess the guys dad gave him a storage and that was in it . The prices are high on the stuff . I was more interested in all the estes motors . But since I got the rest .I want to launch them . But ty

Yep, you got some vintage gear there hank. Peenemunda West, Dr Rockets cases ... I believe that the Interlock controller came with special clips designed for single lead Copperhead ignitors. Some surgery will be needed to replace those with microclips.
Oh OK. So I put the clips on them ? Got it . I looked at it and was like wtf . But the rockets will still launch right?

Def looking forward to learning all this big boy stuff . I finally get to do some adult stuff . Lol .need to get some Hawaiian shirts now . Oh yeah . Look out world .Hank coming through. Lol.

That sounds awesome . I know I'm bit at a loss . Looking forward to getting more into the hobby and launch the big stuff eventually. This is what I got in the purchase of the engines I wanted .
The AeroTech RMS 29/40-120 casings are pretty straightforward, I have one of those. The components are mostly the same as what is inside an Estes motor, they just look different. Carefully read the instructions that come with your reload and follow them as closely as you can.

Here are some other lessons I’ve passed on to others as well:

Here’s my input on the reloadables: They’re not as complicated or difficult as you might think they are. Assembly can be completed in about 10 minutes or so with a bit of practice. I’m sure you’ve built and flown airframes more challenging than that. I think the big hurdle is more mental, and it comes from not having seen many of the parts and equipment before. Once you get your casing, closures, reload kit, and whatever else may be required for your specific motor, take some time to familiarize yourself with them and try to understand their functions.

There are also tutorials for assembly on YouTube, if the manufacturer’s instructions aren’t doing it for you. A few things I wish I knew before getting started:
  1. Use only the casing suggested by the reload kit’s manufacturer. Get it directly from the manufacturer (AeroTech, Cesaroni, whatever it may be) instead of getting one manufactured under license. One manufactured by a third party might not have the same quality control and manufacturing tolerances, even if advertised as being identical.
  2. Identify and understand the purpose of the forward and aft closures. The casing is a tube that’s open at both ends. It looks a bit like a guitar slide (do a Google Image search if you don’t know that that is). If the case isn’t fully open at both ends, you may have gotten the case with the forward closure screwed on already. Not knowing this will make it difficult to understand and follow the assembly instructions.
  3. Use a FRESH reload kit. Don’t use one that’s been sitting in a garage for 10 years, that’ll make it hard to put together and difficult to ignite.
  4. Reloads have one or more liner tubes, small paper tubes that surround the propellant and delay grains and act as insulation, preventing the case from getting too hot. If the grains and liner tube don’t fit easily in the casing for one reason or another, don’t try to muscle it in there. You’ll damage the grains and your efforts to remove them may damage the casing. Instead, peel away an exterior layer from the liner tube to produce a looser fit.
  5. Be ready to ruin a reload kit and possibly a casing before you get the thing assembled correctly. It might take you a couple tries.
  6. Static fire an assembled motor before you fly it. If something goes wrong or if you’ve done something incorrectly, it’s better to learn by having that motor ruin whatever static setup you have than for it to destroy or damage an airframe.
I’m sure you’ll make some mistakes of your own that I haven’t warned you about here. That’s just part of the learning process.

I have yet to fly a lot of reloads, in fact I’ve only got two flights with them so far. I will say, however, that I’ve been satisfied with my flights on E23Ts in the Aerotech RMS 29/40-120 casing.

Preflight, however, was a pain. You can do great things with reloadables, but as it stands, I hate them. Hopefully this will wane with further practice, though.

That said, the most important things I learned are:
  1. Identify and be familiar with the hardware components before attempting to assemble. That’s your casing, your forward closure, and your aft closure. I made the mistake of thinking that the forward closure on my knockoff RMS 18/20 was an integral part of the casing when in fact it screws on like the rear one does. In my confusion, I decided to abort the load, but doing this ruined the propellant grains and the casing (more on this in a second). Watch a tutorial video, ask the forum, or contact the manufacturer if you have even the slightest question about how to assemble.
  2. Study and follow the instructions very carefully. Understand the components and their purpose. Unless you’ve really dived into the specifics of how these things work beforehand, some of these components will probably be alien to you, the way that a lot of airframe and GSE components probably were for your first rocket build. Again, pose any questions to the Internet or the manufacturer.
  3. Aerotech liner tubes sometimes don’t fit correctly as is. If the fit is anything less than smooth and effortless, peel and/or cut away the outer layer of the liner tube’s paper until the liner tube assembly slides in the casing without you having to muscle it in. Trying to force it in with tools or banging them together will only get the liner tube stuck in the wrong position or damage it. Or both.
  4. Your complete hardware set(s) will probably come with a small tube of lubricant, but you’ll also want to buy or commandeer a tub of petroleum jelly and apply it liberally to the exterior of the liner tube. It will further improve the fit and also make cleaning out residue easier. Do not think of lubricant as a substitute for any needed trimming, though. If you need to remove the liner tube assembly, a slippery liner tube will make it that much harder. Be careful not to get the jelly on the grains, though. It might physically damage them or interfere with their burn properties.
  5. Enlist the assistance of somebody who is familiar with your reload, if possible. A little bit of supervision would have saved me some money and frustration.
  6. Place your orders well ahead of time. I ordered a couple of Aerotech E16W reloads via Animal Motor Works in November. They still haven’t arrived, since Aerotech was having some distribution problems that delayed everything by an estimated 15 weeks. Currently they’re not expected to arrive until the end of February, so my next 29mm flights will be with Estes black powder E16s.

(For what it’s worth, AMW was very gracious about honoring my purchase and offering me an acceptable substitute after the order fell through. I visited their trailer at LDRS, politely explained my situation, and got the substitute without further charge. Robert and Gloria DeHate run an honest business and I’m happy to recommend them, it just may be smart to call and see if they have the loads you want before placing an order for AeroTech stuff.)

Last edited:
You will want to join a club, NAR or Tripoly, and you will need to get certified to fly some of the big ones. You will need to review all the information required on the NAR website and keep asking questions here. I've only flown LPR all my life and Lone Wolf style because there was no club in my area. But it seams you have some people here that you're close to that will get you going up the hill in the right direction. It's a lifetime of fun, and even when you get old, the fun is the same with every launch!
Just one thing...You have to love to burn your money! 🤣

Welcome to the Forum. Greetings from southern Nevada.
Hello Nevada. I bet u guys have all the secret rockets out there . I've been launching that way with the family. It's good to know there are people into this like me . Awesome place to be . Ty

I fly the escapee's from Groom Lake. Pahrump is central to 5 different bases. Nellis is where the Fighter Weapons School is and is 50 miles away, Fallon is a Navy base and is home to the Top Gun School and is about 300 miles North. Edwards AF is where a lot of secret aircraft start their life and is 60 miles away. China Lake is a Navy testing base. It's about 60 milers away. They drop bombs that rattle my garage door. And Area 51 is about 40 miles away. Pahrump is surrounded by military installations. I've seen some interesting things flying over.

Hey hey!

There’s also a high-power club, Tripoli San Diego, that’s worth checking out. I don’t fly high-power myself but they have a nice site and a high ceiling, so I bring my small stuff out to fly with them occasionally. Lots of knowledgeable guys out there tsorry

I fly the escapee's from Groom Lake. Pahrump is central to 5 different bases. Nellis is where the Fighter Weapons School is and is 50 miles away, Fallon is a Navy base and is home to the Top Gun School and is about 300 miles North. Edwards AF is where a lot of secret aircraft start their life and is 60 miles away. China Lake is a Navy testing base. It's about 60 milers away. They drop bombs that rattle my garage door. And Area 51 is about 40 miles away. Pahrump is surrounded by military installations. I've seen some interesting things flying over.
Oh that's cool. Pahrump is the fireworks town ? Love that place . Never been to the others . But was talking to a lady that worked China lake . But that's about it . And I pretty much been to every base in San Diego. Do you have any pics of a project or past project s. Would like to get an idea .

I just.. wanna go and camp in your backyard for a couple nights, lol. Watch for new craft.
j/k, actually when I moved to my property officially I found out in a rather awkward turn of events that my "driveway" (long logging road from 100 years ago) was being used for bombing runs by the airforce.
Quite a sight as I was outside painting a 4 foot rocket and bombers start buzzing over my head, all lined up in a row, prolly a dozen or more of them, and almost scraping the trees. Have not seen them since.

I just.. wanna go and camp in your backyard for a couple nights, lol. Watch for new craft.
j/k, actually when I moved to my property officially I found out in a rather awkward turn of events that my "driveway" (long logging road from 100 years ago) was being used for bombing runs by the airforce.
Quite a sight as I was outside painting a 4 foot rocket and bombers start buzzing over my head, all lined up in a row, prolly a dozen or more of them, and almost scraping the trees. Have not seen them since.
That is awesome. Lol. That's fine if u want . U can use the kidsbarbie tent . Lol. Kidding . That would be a treat to see for sure . I haven't really seen any new planes . But then again I don't really look up . Mainly little aircraft in El Cajon area . I'm down a few blocks where they been crashing . But either than that nothing cool in Sky too see at least during the day.

That is awesome. Lol. That's fine if u want . U can use the kidsbarbie tent . Lol. Kidding . That would be a treat to see for sure . I haven't really seen any new planes . But then again I don't really look up . Mainly little aircraft in El Cajon area . I'm down a few blocks where they been crashing . But either than that nothing cool in Sky too see at least during the day.
I'm always looking up. I go out at night to smoke. Saw a spacex booster separation one night about scared the crap out of me, lol. When it's cool and doesn't seem like a hassle I'll light up my fire pit (full of stumps and roots and random chunks of wood) or even break out one of the telescopes.

Back