Hello from North Macedonia

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard
There definitely is a lot of information on this forum just have to search a little or ask and you will get some assistance

Any ideas for your first rocket kit you may want to build ?
Enjoy

Welcome aboard
There definitely is a lot of information on this forum just have to search a little or ask and you will get some assistance

Any ideas for your first rocket kit you may want to build ?
Enjoy
Hello Adam, thanks for replying to my introduction thread. Well, first of all I would like to build a rocket from scratch. I'm not sure that there are any kits currently available in my country. I am looking for some basic information regarding rocket stability and aerodynamics as well as building materials and techniques.

The Apogee Components website has a lot of information that I found helpful and on YouTube Tim the owner has a lot of videos that may help. It’s a good starting point.
Iam sure others here can add some more ideas for you good luck I attached a link for apogee below

I haven’t done many scratch builds yet but hopefully soon.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/

Hello Adam, thanks for replying to my introduction thread. Well, first of all I would like to build a rocket from scratch. I'm not sure that there are any kits currently available in my country. I am looking for some basic information regarding rocket stability and aerodynamics as well as building materials and techniques.

Last edited:
Not to overload the subject but here is one more very useful link for model rocketry and starting off

https://www.nar.org/educational-resources/model-rocket-building-techniques/

The Apogee Components website has a lot of information that I found helpful and on YouTube Tim the owner has a lot of videos that may help. It’s a good starting point.
Iam sure others here can add some more ideas for you good luck I attached a link for apogee below

I haven’t done many scratch builds yet but hopefully soon.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/
Thanks a lot Adam, I really appreciate it. I will take a look at the links you provided me.

Hello hello!

To summarize rocket stability, you want a forward center of gravity, as well as for your aerodynamic forces to be concentrated aft of it in what’s called the “center of pressure.” CG should be forward of CP by about 1 or 2 body tube diameters (“calibers”) for best results.

Unstable, under-stable, and over-stable rockets exist. Unstable ones, with the CG behind CP, want to fly backwards. They thrash around under thrust. Under-stable ones, with CG ahead of CP but still too close to it, may have difficulty flying straight and may occasionally exhibit unstable behavior. Over-stable ones, with stability margins of 3 calibers or more, will point themselves into the wind like a weather vane and fly mostly horizontally.

Instability can also be caused by slow speeds off the launch rod. The minimum varies by rocket but 30mph (≈50km/h or ≈15m/s) is considered safe for almost everything.

Have fun experimenting! And be safe.

Hello hello!

To summarize rocket stability, you want a forward center of gravity, as well as for your aerodynamic forces to be concentrated aft of it in what’s called the “center of pressure.” CG should be forward of CP by about 1 or 2 body tube diameters (“calibers”) for best results.

Unstable, under-stable, and over-stable rockets exist. Unstable ones, with the CG behind CP, want to fly backwards. They thrash around under thrust. Under-stable ones, with CG ahead of CP but still too close to it, may have difficulty flying straight and may occasionally exhibit unstable behavior. Over-stable ones, with stability margins of 3 calibers or more, will point themselves into the wind like a weather vane and fly mostly horizontally.

Instability can also be caused by slow speeds off the launch rod. The minimum varies by rocket but 30mph (≈50km/h or ≈15m/s) is considered safe for almost everything.

Have fun experimenting! And be safe.
Thank you for the nice summary smstachwick. This information will surely come in handy.

Welcome to the group. You will certainly find all the advice you need from someone. You will probably find more advice than you need, LOL. Enjoy!

A big welcome to the forum delta1999. You will find a wealth of information here and on sites like Apogee Rockets at https://www.apogeerockets.com/ in their how-to instruction guides (as mentioned by Adam above) and their ‘Peak of Flight’ newsletter. A great general reference for beginners is Harry Stine‘s ‘Model Rocketry Manual’.

Back