Hello From North Idaho

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris in Idaho

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm yet another one rediscovering rocketry after having several Estes kits 30+ years ago. My two sons, 6 and 9 years old have just picked out a pair of Der Red Max kits and I ordered a Wildman Sport. All three will be showing up early next week. Apologies in advance for the inbound deluge of questions!

Also, does anyone have a line on a good launch area around Coeur d'Alene?

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy those young ones - they grow up too fast! I keep losing my launch sites too. Maybe Google maps can help you find a place?? Good luck!

Welcome back to rocketry! I believe you have two options as far as tripoli clubs. Tripoli Washington east and Tripoli southeast Washington are just over the state line from you, but I don't know their status. The only other club is Tripoli Idaho, but they launch southeast of Boise. Check with NAR as well to see if there is a club near you.

Welcome! I'm over in Spokane. You have a few options, most of which will be a drive:
  • SPARC - Site is/was north of Spokane in Deer Park. Several factors have basically made this location a no go these days. There is also a low power site just getting started at EWU. You can keep an eye on things on the google group for info: https://groups.google.com/g/spokane-rocketry
  • Tri City Rocketeers is probably going to be your best bet. They have a great site on a sod farm north of town, with an ~8k waiver. There are monthly launches from ~March-November. https://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/
  • There's a NAR site in Touchet called WHIP. I haven't made it down there yet but I hear good things.
  • There are several other groups in the northwest I've been to which are further away, but are both excellent sites and crowds. One is in central Oregon - OROC, the other south of Butte, MT - Tripoli Montana.

Welcome! I live in Moscow, ID so I'm not much help concerning launching sites up around Coeur d'Alene. I moved here from the Tri-Cities and encourage you to attend a TriCities Rocketeers launch at the Sod Farm. Robopup mentioned the club earlier but there is a change to the website address. Here's the correct one: TriCities Rocketeers

The next launch is Sod Blaster 4 over the Labor Day weekend. There are no launches during July and August due to heat. There is free camping and it's a friendly bunch and kids are welcomed and encouraged to attend. Lot's of low power launching and the big stuff as well. Well up to M motors. Plenty Big! Check it out sometime!

Cool! I should be there Friday and Saturday and will help with launch operations for part of the time. It will be fun!

Back