hello from NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone im a year 10 at SIHS and in the IB (international Baccalaureate) program and tbh my main reason for joining the rocketry forums is because to finish the MYP (middle years program) and continue on in the dp/cp (diploma or career program) we have to complete a final personal project and for my project i have decided to delve in to rocketry. i've always had an interest in rocket i built and flew some kit rockets before but i've never built my own but that is going to change with this project, i have decided on trying my hand at building a two stage possibly radio ignited second stage rocket all depending on how smoothly everything goes seeing as i have to be done with my "product" by the end of February. i will also be documenting my journey on my youtube channel as a part of the project so if any are interested ill happily link the videos as they come out. but my main point of joining is to get tips tricks advice etc. and hopefully all goes well

i forgot to add but all iterations of the rocket depending on possible catastrophic failures will be named viking 1 and onward named after our school mascot and will be painted blue and yellow

Welcome!

I’ve been playing around with multistaging for almost a year now and I’ve learned much in that time. My recommendations (which you can skip if you wish) are as follows:

My first recommendation is to be absolutely CERTAIN of your stability margin before you fly. You don’t want an unstable multistager to stage and then become stable while pointed in an unsafe direction. If you’re designing your own multistager or modifying an existing design, use the Barrowman method or a computer simulator like OpenRocket to determine your rocket’s Center of Pressure with the measurements of your actual rocket. Then determine the Center of Gravity in liftoff configuration. Balance the rocket with fresh motors, wadding, and chute all packed. While you’re at it, conduct a swing test. Tie the rocket around the balance point to a long cord and swing it in a circle. Make sure you have enough room to avoid hitting people and objects. If the CG is forward of the CP by at least the diameter of the body tube and the rocket swings nose-first, you’re good. Do all of these checks with each stage combination: booster plus sustainer, followed by removing each additional booster (if present) and finally the sustainer only.

You can avoid much of this work by starting with a multistaging kit, especially a small one. Black powder motors stage without electronics and are a great way to get started. The Estes Twin Factor is an excellent first-time two-stager that flies on any 13mm motor you can throw at it. It stays low so there is absolutely no chance of losing it. Try it in both single- and two-stage configurations. If you’re successful with running it through its paces, consider upgrading to a two-stager with an 18mm mount like the Estes Boosted Bertha. The next sizes up are 24mm and 29mm. For these sizes I like the Estes Comanche-3, the Estes SA-2061 Sasha, and the Dynastar AeroDactyl TS. Try one of each if you can. Remember to put a -0 red-label booster motor in the booster and a motor with an appropriate time delay in the sustainer. Limit your total impulse for the first flight so that you can recover more easily, and be very cautious with wind. Don’t be afraid to scrub a launch if conditions aren’t to your liking.

Once you’ve mastered the fundamentals, you’re ready to stage composite motors. Composites don’t stage like black powder motors, you’ll need staging electronics to detect the booster stage burning out and ignite the upper stage. This holds true even if you’re mixing black powder and composites. A number of staging altimeters are available from a handful of manufacturers. They’re generally pretty small and light, but the bigger challenge is getting a compact, lightweight battery that can produce enough current to fire an igniter. Some lithium polymer (“LiPo”) batteries may work. You’ll then have to work out a feasible way to get the wiring to the igniter.

You generally don’t want ignition via radio from the ground at the model rocket scale. It can be hard to determine exactly when the booster is burned out and staging should occur, if the rocket is sufficiently close to vertical, etc. The signal also might be interfered with unexpectedly and ignite the sustainer when it’s not supposed to, which can be extremely hazardous if this happens on the ground. Having the electronics package be self-contained allows automatic, near-instantaneous staging when you want it and a greater degree of protection against unwanted ignition.

For motor selection, generally you’ll need a booster motor with a good amount of thrust to get off the pad safely and a motor that can ignite reliably in the sustainer. Some are better than others for this purpose. As far as AeroTech’s propellants go, Blue Thunder propellant is pretty easy and pretty thrust-y for a given grain configuration. White Lightning propellant can become stubborn when it oxidizes and Blackjack propellant is sometimes considered a bit more on the anemic side. Each have their own places where they’re best.

Whew! That was a lot. Multistaging is fun, and a great challenge. Learn lots and be safe!

Last edited:
hi everyone im a year 10 at SIHS and in the IB (international Baccalaureate) program and tbh my main reason for joining the rocketry forums is because to finish the MYP (middle years program) and continue on in the dp/cp (diploma or career program) we have to complete a final personal project and for my project i have decided to delve in to rocketry. i've always had an interest in rocket i built and flew some kit rockets before but i've never built my own but that is going to change with this project, i have decided on trying my hand at building a two stage possibly radio ignited second stage rocket all depending on how smoothly everything goes seeing as i have to be done with my "product" by the end of February. i will also be documenting my journey on my youtube channel as a part of the project so if any are interested ill happily link the videos as they come out. but my main point of joining is to get tips tricks advice etc. and hopefully all goes well
The Rockery Of Central Carolina group will be start launching again every month soon. They have a FB page.

Welcome!

I’ve been playing around with multistaging for almost a year now and I’ve learned much in that time. My recommendations (which you can skip if you wish) are as follows:

My first recommendation is to be absolutely CERTAIN of your stability margin before you fly. You don’t want an unstable multistager to stage and then become stable while pointed in an unsafe direction. If you’re designing your own multistager or modifying an existing design, use the Barrowman method or a computer simulator like OpenRocket to determine your rocket’s Center of Pressure with the measurements of your actual rocket. Then determine the Center of Gravity in liftoff configuration. Balance the rocket with fresh motors, wadding, and chute all packed. While you’re at it, conduct a swing test. Tie the rocket around the balance point to a long cord and swing it in a circle. Make sure you have enough room to avoid hitting people and objects. If the CG is forward of the CP by at least the diameter of the body tube and the rocket swings nose-first, you’re good. Do all of these checks with each stage combination: booster plus sustainer, followed by removing each additional booster (if present) and finally the sustainer only.

You can avoid much of this work by starting with a multistaging kit, especially a small one. Black powder motors stage without electronics and are a great way to get started. The Estes Twin Factor is an excellent first-time two-stager that flies on any 13mm motor you can throw at it. It stays low so there is absolutely no chance of losing it. Try it in both single- and two-stage configurations. If you’re successful with running it through its paces, consider upgrading to a two-stager with an 18mm mount like the Estes Boosted Bertha. The next sizes up are 24mm and 29mm. For these sizes I like the Estes Comanche-3, the Estes SA-2061 Sasha, and the Dynastar AeroDactyl TS. Try one of each if you can. Remember to put a -0 red-label booster motor in the booster and a motor with an appropriate time delay in the sustainer. Limit your total impulse for the first flight so that you can recover more easily, and be very cautious with wind. Don’t be afraid to scrub a launch if conditions aren’t to your liking.

Once you’ve mastered the fundamentals, you’re ready to stage composite motors. Composites don’t stage like black powder motors, you’ll need staging electronics to detect the booster stage burning out and ignite the upper stage. This holds true even if you’re mixing black powder and composites. A number of staging altimeters are available from a handful of manufacturers. They’re generally pretty small and light, but the bigger challenge is getting a compact, lightweight battery that can produce enough current to fire an igniter. Some lithium polymer (“LiPo”) batteries may work. You’ll then have to work out a feasible way to get the wiring to the igniter.

You generally don’t want ignition via radio from the ground at the model rocket scale. It can be hard to determine exactly when the booster is burned out and staging should occur, if the rocket is sufficiently close to vertical, etc. The signal also might be interfered with unexpectedly and ignite the sustainer when it’s not supposed to, which can be extremely hazardous if this happens on the ground. Having the electronics package be self-contained allows automatic, near-instantaneous staging when you want it and a greater degree of protection against unwanted ignition.

For motor selection, generally you’ll need a booster motor with a good amount of thrust to get off the pad safely and a motor that can ignite reliably in the sustainer. Some are better than others for this purpose. As far as AeroTech’s propellants go, Blue Thunder propellant is pretty easy and pretty thrust-y for a given grain configuration. White Lightning propellant can become stubborn when it oxidizes and Blackjack propellant is sometimes considered a bit more on the anemic side. Each have their own places where they’re best.

Whew! That was a lot. Multistaging is fun, and a great challenge. Learn lots and be safe!
thank you so much its not even been a day and already all this amazing info you guys are amazing ik joining this community was a great idea

no but i will most definitely check it out
Good choice. Club launches are the primary venue to get in-person support. You can also see what others are up to, which is valuable in a totally different way.

I’d also suggest generating some good karma by showing up early or staying late to help, if possible. Clubs are run by volunteers who do a lot more work than most attendees realize.

i forgot to add but all iterations of the rocket depending on possible catastrophic failures will be named viking 1 and onward named after our school mascot and will be painted blue and yellow
Hi from Greenville, RI!

Love your story Thel, and tonight picked my name out of the clear blue. Hope it's different enough from yours to avoid confusion! Best of luck building and flying your viking 1, and I hope to keep up with your progress. By the way, how tall will it be?

Hi from Greenville, RI!

Love your story Thel, and tonight picked my name out of the clear blue. Hope it's different enough from yours to avoid confusion! Best of luck building and flying your viking 1, and I hope to keep up with your progress. By the way, how tall will it be?

There is a club in Dalzel to launch rockets.

Back