Hello from Maryland!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow rocketeers!

As a kid, I was always interested in rockets, from subscale to full-scale. I also always wanted wanted to get into model rocketry and build my own rockets and possibly motors as well, but my father was Sam Safety and he put a stop to that pretty quickly... Fast-forward a few years and I get a dual bachelors degree in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at UF so technically I am now "qualified" to build rockets. I currently work for a company that makes drones, so I don't get to build rockets for my day job, but my evenings and weekends are free owing to the fact I am an engineer and I like quiet dark spaces void of people to plan my eventual world takeover. So now is as good of a time as ever to get my rocketry fix. The two things I am most interested in are actively controlled rockets and liquid propellent. (I don't really plan on making a liquid fueled rocket engine any time soon, but I think it is fun doing the math behind them and coming up with a design in my free time).

So yah, that's me! Nice to meet you guys!

Hello fellow rocketeers!

As a kid, I was always interested in rockets, from subscale to full-scale. I also always wanted wanted to get into model rocketry and build my own rockets and possibly motors as well, but my father was Sam Safety and he put a stop to that pretty quickly... Fast-forward a few years and I get a dual bachelors degree in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at UF so technically I am now "qualified" to build rockets. I currently work for a company that makes drones, so I don't get to build rockets for my day job, but my evenings and weekends are free owing to the fact I am an engineer and I like quiet dark spaces void of people to plan my eventual world takeover. So now is as good of a time as ever to get my rocketry fix. The two things I am most interested in are actively controlled rockets and liquid propellent. (I don't really plan on making a liquid fueled rocket engine any time soon, but I think it is fun doing the math behind them and coming up with a design in my free time).

So yah, that's me! Nice to meet you guys!
Welcome!

If you haven’t built any rockets yet, your best bet to get involved is a small, simple one from Estes, AeroTech’s Quest line, or one of the smaller kit manufacturers that you might hear about here on the forum. Lots of good options that run on D motors or smaller.

Have you gone looking for a launch site yet? That will probably be your biggest obstacle to getting something in the air.

Welcome fellow rocket scientist who does this for fun (got my BSE in ‘08 in Aero, and my day job also doesn’t involve making rockets).

Couple of recommendations - find a local rocketry club to fly with (takes the hard work out of finding a field), and start with small, “boring” stuff. Grab a couple of kits from Estes or Quest and start building. Start simple and learn how to build well, because there’s a big gap between the paper and what actually gets up in the air.

Welcome! There is more info on these forums than you'll be able to use in a lifetime. Most beginners' questions have probably been answered multiple times; Search is your friend. (Please do not ask about the right kind of glue...for anything... :eek: )

The Arocket mailing list is a gold mine of info on liquid rocketry, lots of subscribers have done it or are doing it.

Best,
Terry

.... And MDRA has "Red Glare" coming up in early spring.... I am going (at least Saturday anyhow). Just to attend.

Quick question, I tried posting a thread about preliminary design calculations for a Lox Propane engine last night, but it seems to have never gotten posted? Everything on there was publicly available so I don't think it violates the rules here. Do any of you know why it was never posted (it had waiting for approval on it last night or something).

I tried posting a thread about preliminary design calculations for a Lox Propane engine last night, but it seems to have never gotten posted?

See #9 here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/rocketry-forum-rules-and-posting-guidelines.151426/

Requirements for access are L2 certification (that's a requirement to fly the experimental motors at TRA launches), and US citizenship. Since this forum is private, whether or not the info is publicly available isn't of consequence.

@prfesser's link to the Arocket list above is a great resource for researching and discussing liquids.

Dang, that stinks... Thanks
FWIW...You will undoubtedly find, as so many have, that a regeneratively-cooled liquid propellant engine is a highly-complex problem in plumbing and plumbing-engineering. As a chemistrynut, I preferred to go with solids. :)

The archives of the Arocket list are a treasure trove of relevant information, although many of the links may be broken. Most of what is discussed there involves liquids.

FWIW...You will undoubtedly find, as so many have, that a regeneratively-cooled liquid propellant engine is a highly-complex problem in plumbing and plumbing-engineering. As a chemistrynut, I preferred to go with solids. :)

The archives of the Arocket list are a treasure trove of relevant information, although many of the links may be broken. Most of what is discussed there involves liquids.
Yah, I saw most of the links are bad... very sad... Also, that is what makes those engines so fun, its like a puzzle that can blow up! hehe, its just academic anyway.

Back