Hello from Los Angeles!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock_doctor03

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a college professor and former NAR member that was at L2 way back when. I started offering an occasional "rocket school" on campus during Covid which reignited my interest. Now that the kids are all grown, and my teaching career is winding down, I'm getting back in the game (finally).

Welcome, from a (retired) prof! You'll find so much that has changed over the last ten years or more. One thing that's very popular today is the Jolly Logic Chute Release that deploys the main at a specified altitude...without pyro charges. Eggtimer has all sorts of inexpensive electronic kits ($20 for a dual deploy altimeter kit that fits almost anywhere, GPS transmitter and receiver kits starting at $100). Quest has single-use QJet motors up to D impulse in 18mm, E and F in 24mm, very competitively priced. Aerotech's H13 motor is sure to generate all sorts of new altitude records. You are about to have fun!

If you're in the LA area, you can fly model rockets with SCRA at Santa Fe Dam, they fly twice a month. See http://mebowitz.com/ . For high power, ROC is both an NAR and Tripoli-sanctioned club (although they can't do EX due to CA regulations), their web site is rocstock.org . ROC has a standing 7,000' waiver... it used to be 17K, but it got cut down recently by the FAA. :( They launch the second weekend of every month, they do not shut down for the Summer like many of the other CA clubs do.

Welcome Welcome!

I used to live in orange county, and I'd second the recommendation for ROC. They are a very large, and well organized club. I am now living in AZ, but plan on attending the November ROCstock (multi day, large launch).

Back