Hello from Georgia - as they say, you're never are too old to enjoy a new (old) hobby!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtmike200

Reaction score
Good morning from beautiful Cartersville, GA located about 45 NW of Atlanta. After a brief 45 year pause in my love for model rocketry, I am wanting to jump back in with both feet. The design, construction and electronics are what brought me back after all of these years. I am intrigued by the MPR out there and my goal is to get L1 certified some times this summer although I plan to just enjoy the process and see how it plays out. There appears to be a great club in Metro Atlanta, SoAR, and I hope to attend their next launch on June 10th. In addition to my wants with the MPR and HPR rockets, I have a 5 year old granddaughter that loves building and spending time with Pops so I can not wait to get a couple of the level 1 Estes kits for us to have fun and be kids. I have enjoyed reading previous post in the forum on MPR and HPR and can't wait to start a build log myself.

Thank,

Mike

Good morning from beautiful Cartersville, GA located about 45 NW of Atlanta. After a brief 45 year pause in my love for model rocketry, I am wanting to jump back in with both feet. The design, construction and electronics are what brought me back after all of these years. I am intrigued by the MPR out there and my goal is to get L1 certified some times this summer although I plan to just enjoy the process and see how it plays out. There appears to be a great club in Metro Atlanta, SoAR, and I hope to attend their next launch on June 10th. In addition to my wants with the MPR and HPR rockets, I have a 5 year old granddaughter that loves building and spending time with Pops so I can not wait to get a couple of the level 1 Estes kits for us to have fun and be kids. I have enjoyed reading previous post in the forum on MPR and HPR and can't wait to start a build log myself.

Thank,

Mike

If you want to fly high power 12 months a year, you are welcome to come visit SC.

Welcome to the Forum!! I just got into Model Rocketry at (almost) 65 years of age. Couldn't afford it (and wasn't self disciplined enough at the time to save for it) when I was a kid so now I'm going through my second childhood. My wife and I will be going full time in our motorhome later this year so maybe I'll make a launch date at SoAR sometime in the future and we can meet.

Hmmmm' Da...er' Dang! I just lost a nice well-written too long reply by accidentally touching a key somehow! My clubby fingers probably are to blame...Dang losing all that pecking, that hurts!....anyway... I need to work on making my replies shorter!

A new and more brief reply is below!

I and Mike as well as a few others here at Rocketery' are kindred souls by having more that binds than the love of rocketry! I decided at the tender age of 17 to help Uncle Sam do some stuff in a place I never heard of. Then, using the same exemplary judgment I employed when I joined the army instead of getting drafted I got married while in basic training..!...Oops! see! I am rambling going off on tangents again...
OK, after two more wives and 40-some years of life, some, most of it wonderfully beautiful and some well, not as good, etc, I too began fooling around with model rocketry a couple of months ago! Rockets are a heck of a lot safer than Ex-wives and depending on the model almost as much fun! ~ Greg

Welcome aboard. Got back into the hobby with my grandson and have been amazed with the available knowledge accessible here. I’m in a small Burke County town near Waynesboro, south of Augusta. It’s called Sardis. I plan to get my Level 1 this year, if my work schedule allows. From one “Rocket Pop” to another, enjoy building and flying with the grands. They’ll grow up fast too.
— Allen

Welcome. I’m also recently a Georgia resident. SOAR looks like the place to be. From their site, it seems they do a MPR launch once a month in Dawsonville and alternate with their HPR site south toward Macon when it’s not summer. I’m hoping to make it out to Dawsonville on the 24th.

Also, https://www.csrocketry.com/index.php is based in South Georgia. Someone above said he comes out to launches when he can with a lot of stock on hand. I think you can also give him a heads up and pick stuff up on sight.

For other high power nearby, I think Huntsville is probably the closest. They have a 12k waiver but are done until the fall.

I did my L1 about 2 years ago or so. May try for L2 over the winter, we’ll see. Happy to help or answer questions. I’m NE of Atlanta in Suwanee.

Hi to all, and a very very late thank you to all who took the time to respond to my stuff! I'll get better at answering especially those who take the time to do the same!

Welcome. I’m also recently a Georgia resident. SOAR looks like the place to be. From their site, it seems they do a MPR launch once a month in Dawsonville and alternate with their HPR site south toward Macon when it’s not summer. I’m hoping to make it out to Dawsonville on the 24th.

Also, https://www.csrocketry.com/index.php is based in South Georgia. Someone above said he comes out to launches when he can with a lot of stock on hand. I think you can also give him a heads up and pick stuff up on sight.

For other high power nearby, I think Huntsville is probably the closest. They have a 12k waiver but are done until the fall.

I did my L1 about 2 years ago or so. May try for L2 over the winter, we’ll see. Happy to help or answer questions. I’m NE of Atlanta in Suwanee.
We do 1 mid power launch in Dawsonville and 1 low (and some midpower) launch at Mill Springs Academy in Alpharetta each month. The HPR launch this year is looking to be moved to the weekend before Thanksgiving but it's still up in the air atm.

Back