Hello from Colorado Springs!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
Getting into HPR and having a lot of fun with RockSim. I decided to go with a 65mm Mach1 RIM66 with an eventual engine of L265MY after I pass stage I certification. Should be suitable for 17,000'. A large improvement over the Estes C class engines I'm used to.
The Eggtimer Quasar is out at the end of the month. Should be prefect with three channels. I plan on an eventual class III flight with the RIM66 with a big dumb booster on the bottom.

Welcome to the forums from another Colorado Springs member!

NCR I think has a 20,000 ft waiver normally, you can fly that high up there.

I fly at SCORE (when I do), which is in Pueblo. Their waiver is to 8000, but it's close to the Springs and very active.

Welcome to the forums from another Colorado Springs member!

NCR I think has a 20,000 ft waiver normally, you can fly that high up there.

I fly at SCORE (when I do), which is in Pueblo. Their waiver is to 8000, but it's close to the Springs and very active.
Thank you for the info!

NCR has the altitude I would need for my level II build (~16k' on L265MY) unless I downsize the engine, but it's really far away. I was looking at joining Tripoli in Hartsel too as they have an 8,000' waiver from what I read online. Maybe they can go higher? I probably need to go to a launch at a few clubs, send some emails and see what fits my goals.

Looking for something 1-2 hours away and up to 20k'.

I dunno about waivers that high that close to the Springs. I heard talk about possibly increasing the waiver at SCORE, but I don’t know if it’s serious or would be that big of an increase.

Another to look into (not 1-2 hours away) is San Luis Valley Rocketeers. They launch outside of Alamosa, their waver is over 10k I think. Not sure, haven’t actually ever been yet.

You could do a lot of flying with that rocket on smaller motors closer, and the same rocket much higher when you feel like traveling further.

There’s a lot of exploration and fun to be had between Estes C motors you’re used to and L motors lol. ;)

But best of luck, have fun and hope to see you around sometime!

SLVR has a 30,000 ft. waiver for their Spudnik launch In May. Good group to fly with.
We were lucky enough to fly with NCR for "Mile High Mayhem" in June of 2021. Great group, almost like flying with our home club TRA/PHX. That year the grasslands were a huge green bowl. From what we heard, that's a rare occurance with them.
Enjoy your journey into high power, just remember that sims are not what you get in the real world.

Welcome I love flying with NCR however because of dry conditions during the summer we hardly get to fly. So I normally go to SCORE. I live in Elizabeth Colorado so I am about 2hrs from earth launch site. Just a friendly suggestion slow down and enjoy each milestone and learn. I say that because I did my level 1and level 2 on the same day. If I could go back I would have spent more time flying each level and learning more with each flight.

Back