Hello from Colorado Springs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRzardoz

Reaction score
I started model rocketry back in 1965 and stopped in 1970-71. This hobby plus being influenced by my 7th grade science teacher led me to a physics degree. I paid my way through university by being a FORTRAN programmer for the physics department for 3 years (it took me 5 years to graduate working 20 hrs/week at $4/hr - big time money for 1972-1975 LOL).

After a 40+ year career as a mainframe systems programmer to manager of software development I retired in 2014 but by early 2015 I formed ITA Services and became a freelance programmer. My wife is thrilled I have picked up a new hobby and cutting back on 'work'.

In April 2022 we relocated from Tacoma WA to CO Springs to be closer to our grandkids. l may be closer to my goal of building the Nike-Hercules since Apogee Rockets has the plans for it. I tried to build that rocket back in 67-68 but I could never finish it but not for lack of trying - it was too complicated for a 14 y/o.

Once I get my model building skills whipped into shape I want to try to build the Nike-Ajax, the Nike-Zeus, and the Nike-Sprint, along with the Nike-Hercules. I have the Estes Nike-X model but the Nike-X was the program name not a missile name but maybe I am being too pedantic.

I intend on getting a copy of Apogee's RockSim software (I enjoy coding) and plan on creating a RockSim file for the Nike-Hercules. That may be a good winter project as I am used to the mild but rainy Pacific NorthWest weather. It does not get below 40F that often and we whine about heat waves around 80F.

Last but not least, I am trying to help COSROCS (Colorado Springs Rocket Society) find alternate launch sites as the area around Challenger Middle School is shrinking due to more houses. Apparently El Paso county and CO Springs are very anal about where and when we can launch.

Take care and stay safe.

Last edited:
Welcome and COSROCS ROCKS! Best of luck on a new site. Check out the other Colorado clubs as well, meet all the top men (and women) the State's rocketry community has to offer. An eclectic group for sure.

:welcome:to the forum. post up pictures of all of those Nike rockets for us. You should go visit Apogee.
Thanks - glad to be here. I will upload some pics and will post a video of the Nike-Sprint - it could reach Mach 10 in 15 seconds. I got my Nike Hercules plans from Apogee and they have the RockSim software as well.

Beware! You will leave with many goodies and pockets empty. Good Nike Hercules kits out there to get skills up before scratch build.
I hear you. I am starting with some Estes kits, acquiring tools, etc. I will be starting slow. My wife is already seeing positive dividends with getting back into rocketry as I have cleaned out and fixed up the garage (err I mean my workshop).

Welcome to the Forum from The Mojave Desert in Southern Nevada.
We were at Lowrey AFB, which is no more, in 80-81. Our youngest lives in CS. She works at The Air Force Academy. I hope your a skier and like snow.

Welcome!

If you enjoy coding, maybe consider trying the OpenRocket simulator. Open-source and free. It’s fully functional and highly addictive, but there are always improvements that can be made.

Welcome to COSROCS! (I'm also a member). I look forward to meeting you at a launch.

Speaking of launches, SCORE in Pueblo is launching tomorrow (1st/3rd Saturdays). Come on down and join the fun.

Steve

Welcome to the Forum from The Mojave Desert in Southern Nevada.
We were at Lowrey AFB, which is no more, in 80-81. Our youngest lives in CS. She works at The Air Force Academy. I hope your a skier and like snow.
Thanks. Not a skier but did snowshoe when we lived in Michigan. Nowadays I like snow in the mountains but that could change as snow in the cascades is wet and heavy. I hear the snow here is much different.

Welcome to COSROCS! (I'm also a member). I look forward to meeting you at a launch.

Speaking of launches, SCORE in Pueblo is launching tomorrow (1st/3rd Saturdays). Come on down and join the fun.

Steve
I was going to but two events jumped in the way. I have a project for a client I need to finish by early next week and more importantly we have our 4 month old grandson for most of Sat and Sun since his Dad (my son) is a Firefighter in the Springs and my DIL is a ER nurse and every now and then their schedules collide so Nana and Opa take Markus. I will likely go in October.
The folks at Apogee Rockets told me they go there (SCORE) for all of their launches. Are you going to the COSROCS meeting on Thursday (09/07)? COSROCS also launches at a ranch near Peyton but I don't have a schedule nearby. Have you gone there yet?
Take care and hope to meet up with you soon.

I was going to but two events jumped in the way. I have a project for a client I need to finish by early next week and more importantly we have our 4 month old grandson for most of Sat and Sun since his Dad (my son) is a Firefighter in the Springs and my DIL is a ER nurse and every now and then their schedules collide so Nana and Opa take Markus. I will likely go in October.
The folks at Apogee Rockets told me they go there (SCORE) for all of their launches. Are you going to the COSROCS meeting on Thursday (09/07)? COSROCS also launches at a ranch near Peyton but I don't have a schedule nearby. Have you gone there yet?
Take care and hope to meet up with you soon.
I hope to make the next club meeting.

Yes, I've flown at Peyton a number of times. Nice site as long as the grass isn't crispy.

Have fun with the kiddo.

Welcome! On the subject of OpenRocket, it will open both RockSim files and OpenRocket files. There are several web pages that have files for literally hundreds of kits and scratchbuilts. You may find files that are useful. And OR (and presumably, RockSim) can scale a design up or down with a few clicks, so even if the Nike-Ajax file you find is smaller than you wanted...no worries.

Best,
Terry

Steve
It looks like we will be coming down after all - grandkid duties are Sun and Mon...Hope to meet you there - Some red hair lewft, white beard, and wearing a Duane Allman t-shirt.

Take care,
Dave

I hope to make the next club meeting.

Yes, I've flown at Peyton a number of times. Nice site as long as the grass isn't crispy.

Have fun with the kiddo.
It looks like we will be coming down after all - grandkid duties are Sun and Mon...Hope to meet you there - Some red hair left, white beard, and wearing a Duane Allman t-shirt.

Take care,
Dave

Welcome! On the subject of OpenRocket, it will open both RockSim files and OpenRocket files. There are several web pages that have files for literally hundreds of kits and scratchbuilts. You may find files that are useful. And OR (and presumably, RockSim) can scale a design up or down with a few clicks, so even if the Nike-Ajax file you find is smaller than you wanted...no worries.

Best,
Terry
Thanks for the info. I am eager to give both a try.

Take care,
Dave

Thanks. Not a skier but did snowshoe when we lived in Michigan. Nowadays I like snow in the mountains but that could change as snow in the cascades is wet and heavy. I hear the snow here is much different.
Nice fluffy powder in the mountains. Not that heavy in Denver. I spent a lot of time in the snow while I was there. I'm from Michigan too. I grew up in Pinckney. It's between Brighton and Ann Arbor.

Dave

>fixed up the garage (err I mean my workshop).
I laughed at that one, only because I JUST did the same thing!
Good luck on your launch site hunt, seems to be challenging these days.

Hi from Colorado Springs as well! I fly with SCORE when I can, as they can fly high power stuff and meet pretty frequently. It’s only about an hour away from me, and I’m on the north side of the springs. I’ve also gone to Hartsel a couple times with Tripoli Colorado

On the subject of OpenRocket vs. RockSim, I use RockSim because when I decided to get it twentyish years ago OpenRocket didn't seem mature. It is now. If I were starting now, much as I like RockSim, I would go with the free one. Among other reasons, while OR can open and save RS files (as The Professor mentioned) RS can not open OR files. I have OR on my computer mainly so I can open those files (.ork) and resave them for RS (.rse).

I've been a loyal RS user and Apogee customer since then, so please give Tim my apologies for recommending the other product. (And while you're at it, tell him that the ability to open .ork files would be a great feature to add.)

Back