Hello from California!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mao_Zedung

Reaction score
California, the armpit of the united states...I can barely do rockets anywhere besides smack dab in the middle of the desert, but that's okay! I've been in love with this hobby since I was a kid. My uncle got me into it and I'm happy to be joining a forum of likeminded people who enjoy rocketry as much as me. Honored to be here.

Hey!

If you don’t mind me asking, what part of the state are you in? I’m in the San Diego area and there are two viable spots for small rockets within an easy drive from the population center, one of which is home to a club (DART, turn your device sideways when you visit the website) and supports up to G power.

I can vouch for ROC. On paper they’re my backup site for high flights but my primary (Tripoli San Diego at the decomissioned Holtville airport) has been falling through for over a year now. Good club, beautiful site. I’m planning to attend on the 10th.

I can vouch for ROC. On paper they’re my backup site for high flights but my primary (Tripoli San Diego at the decomissioned Holtville airport) has been falling through for over a year now. Good club, beautiful site. I’m planning to attend on the 10th.
Look for me there, doing a boosted dart...

Mike K

Welcome to the Forum. If your near LA come to Las Vegas. We are a Tripoly club. We launch the third Saturday of the month at the Jean dry lake. We have a 3 day regional event in March. We have a call in of 14,400". We have another site about an hour or so from Vegas that has a 50K ceiling.
California, the armpit of the united states...I can barely do rockets anywhere besides smack dab in the middle of the desert, but that's okay! I've been in love with this hobby since I was a kid. My uncle got me into it and I'm happy to be joining a forum of likeminded people who enjoy rocketry as much as me. Honored to be here.

I’m from California too, but not the armpit part. I’m between the wrist and elbow and only go through the armpit to visit friends and family on the shoulder.

There are a few other clubs to consider, depending on where you live.

LUNAR is based in the Bay Area, with a field for low, mid, and high power east of Stockton on highway 4 near the town of Farmington. That’s the Snow Ranch site, and it’s great. This coming Dec 3 Snow Ranch launch has been postponed to Dec 10 due to rain. The club has also recently started hosting some low power launches near Hollister.

TCC is based in Fresno and flies at a site near the tiny community of Helm, between Fresno and Coalinga junction. The club is mostly focused on high power.

SARG is a club near the Sacramento area. Previously they hosted low power to mid power (non-HPR) launches until losing their field. They are currently on the hunt for a new site, but it’s a slow process.

I also don't live in the armpit part. Our local LPR launch is in a very non-armpit part. But to launch HPR I gotta leave the nice part, drive through a sweaty hairy knee pit, up a well-toned thigh, through the sweaty crack to the other side of the bunghole to Tripoli San Diego.

Each place smells accordingly.

Last edited:
Hey!

If you don’t mind me asking, what part of the state are you in? I’m in the San Diego area and there are two viable spots for small rockets within an easy drive from the population center, one of which is home to a club (DART, turn your device sideways when you visit the website) and supports up to G power.
I live in LA - the closest spot to me is the El Mirage dry lake bed which is a 3 hour drive

Ya, I live in California Bay Area and there is little as Lunar lost Moffet field and Snow Ranch is actually closer in the Central Valley….many hour drive from here. Sacramento lost their field also….looks like So Ca has some fields left…..no one wants to allow launches on their land and parks poo poo it. You are correct, head for the desert, So Ca, or Snow Ranch is your choices For LP. Lunar is trying to find a launch site closer to the South Bay but it is not easy Due to fire safety and public ig. Ca is not a Launch friendly state unfortunately….Sorry to be a downer, but CA is hard But not an armpit by any means….

Out of the knee pit and up the thigh,
To fly the rockets we go;
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh,
Through the white and drifted snow!

Over the bunghole and through the crack,
Oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes and bites the nose,
As off to the launch we go.

Out of the armpit and through the hairs,
To have a first-rate play;
Oh, hear the bells ring, "Ting-a-ling-ling!"
Hurrah for Rocket Launch Day!

I live in LA - the closest spot to me is the El Mirage dry lake bed which is a 3 hour drive
I see. That’s less of an armpit state thing and more of an armpit county/city thing. I went to a Padres game this year at Dodger Stadium and I was still home before all the Dodgers fans were.

Back