Hello from a new member and a question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been out of the hobby for a bit and just joined the forum. Hello to all! Also, a question. I hate to use a DIRTY word in my first post but has anyone stumbled upon any new techniques for filling the dreaded spirals? Wanted to check before I go with the old Elmer's Fill and Finish.
Thanks!

That's the best way to do it! The best never age.

I use a high build sanding primer that I buy from the auto parts store made by Dupli-Color. I work with heavy duty tubes for my mid power fleet and I am usually able to fill the spirals with just with the primer. It will take 3 or 4 coats with sanding in between. Low power Estes kits take only one or two coats with sanding in between. What I like is that the primer dries very fast and is easy to sand so the priming process takes less than one hour. If I need to do some filling of pinholes I use some spot putty after the first coat of primer.

Welcome back to the sport.

Welcome back and welcome aboard!

I use both the Fill n Finish and the Dupli-Color high build sanding primer. Love the primer! :D

Just fill, prime and sand before assembly, it's a lot easier.

BTW, there is a lot to be said for the 15 foot paint job, the one that looks good from 15 feet away at the launch controller.

Last edited:
I use the method where I deny their existence.

Since they don't exist, I don't have anything to fill.

Not one person has been able to see a spiral on any of my rockets that I've left hanging in trees for their inspection:roll:.

I use a more controversial method. There is a product in the US called Kilz stain blocker primer. The aerosol is thick gloopy spray paint that fills pretty well. The F'n'F is probably a much more economical way to go as you are actually using most of it instead of spraying it around then sanding most of it off.

N

Most of the time I use Fill n Finish. I tried the Klitz years ago--but it obviously didn't work, since I still have a partially used can of the stuff. For contest work, I've been known to use Superglue, especially on the hidden spirals covered by a layer of paper. Putting glue inside these spirals makes it much easier to get that perfect finish. I've also used Superglue to fill spirals, sanding it down with Carborundum sandpaper in a lathe--something easier said than done. But, if you want the lightest, smoothest, possible rocket for altitude...

I wonder if anyone has been able to get more than one flight out of a vellum rocket powered by one of Apogee's composite motors--I have a bunch of D10s I'd like to use in an egglofter.

I wonder if anyone has been able to get more than one flight out of a vellum rocket powered by one of Apogee's composite motors--I have a bunch of D10s I'd like to use in an egglofter.

I use mylar-acetate drafting film for egg-lofters. It's a little more durable than vellum, and if you line the inside with a piece of paper (you can print your name and number on that too) it tends to deflect the ejection charge long enough to prevent the film from melting.

Back on topic, my dad has a polyester filler that I use for filling spirals and wood grain. It's a little more durable than Fill'n'finish, and just as easy to sand. It's also waterproof. The only problem with it is that it's a little more toxic, especially the fumes. So, I use it outside. Problem solved!

"I use both the Fill n Finish and the Dupli-Color high build sanding primer. Love the primer!"

I have tried a number of techniques... except the Dupli-Color
where can one obtain this... auto parts store?
thanks

Not one person has been able to see a spiral on any of my rockets that I've left hanging in trees for their inspection:roll:.

:rofl:

If you want the tube to be smooth as glass then you need to fill not just the spirals but also the slightly lumpy texture of the cardboard. I usually do four coats of Duplicolor filler primer with lots of sanding between coats. I just keep going until it's perfectly smooth and you can't tell that it's made of cardboard without looking at the inside. On my current build I have also started using Bondo glazing putty on the spirals first, because over time the filler primer shrinks a little and the sometimes the spirals reappear.

I think this fits with "I reject your reality and I substitute my own" mentaility.

Not to be a know it all, but I could never see the waste of paint needed (high build solids primer) used to fill spirals.......how shallow are these spirals anyway ? Do you know (or maybe I don`t) how many coats of primer it takes to fill the average spiral ?

That`s a waste of paint and time ,or perhaps just plain too lazy to fill the damn things.

I just filled some castings with Duplicolor high solids primer (because i was too damn lazy) and it took many,many coats to get a half ass fill into pin holes less than a 1/32 " deep.

Really ,primer to fill spirals ? I must learn this magical technique !

Just saying.

Paul T

I'm just waiting for Kari to come back on-screen.

Filling spirals: Elmer's still works! I'll hit it with that, sand, build, then prime.

Later!

--Coop

Back