Hello friends! I'm new to this forum.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyfun

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but have been in love with rocketry on & off all my life. My 1st exposure was when I was in the 6th grade circa 1972, my fave rocket I built then was the Cherokee-D. I got my boys involved with rockets when they were around 8 or so circa 1998. Now our grandson is almost getting to be old enough, ( to least watch rocket launches) I built him a little Estes B motor 'Spirit rocket" Going through all my things my very organized wife saved for me, I found an unopened kit for a Wart Hog! I also plan on building the kit I have of the Cherokee-E, we plan on launching these this weekend! Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement nose cone for this rocket, (it was in my old gear) Its an Estes model, the inside diameter of the body is 2.5 mm or 0.0984252 inch, & the body is 11 inches long. Thanks for any input & I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

Attachments

• Army rocket.jpg
    Army rocket.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 17
I'm new to this forum, but have been in love with rocketry on & off all my life. My 1st exposure was when I was in the 6th grade circa 1972, my fave rocket I built then was the Cherokee-D. I got my boys involved with rockets when they were around 8 or so circa 1998. Now our grandson is almost getting to be old enough, ( to least watch rocket launches) I built him a little Estes B motor 'Spirit rocket" Going through all my things my very organized wife saved for me, I found an unopened kit for a Wart Hog! I also plan on building the kit I have of the Cherokee-E, we plan on launching these this weekend! Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement nose cone for this rocket, (it was in my old gear) Its an Estes model, the inside diameter of the body is 2.5 mm or 0.0984252 inch, & the body is 11 inches long. Thanks for any input & I'm looking forward to learning from you all!
Welcome aboard!

2.5 mm is awfully small, I think the smallest motor currently available is a 6mm diameter and that’s equivalent to a 1/8A.

There are a number of 25mm rockets though, that’s a pretty standard body tube size. Estes designated that tube as the BT-50, usually a rocket built around that will have an 18mm (interior diameter) motor mount and will run on motors as small as a 1/2A and as large as a D. Are you sure that that decimal point placement and units are correct?

If it is indeed a BT-50 or similar, any of those noses should do. I build my rockets pretty ugly, so I wouldn’t mind mixing up noses. If you’re looking for a specific kit, you may want to look at the Estes website if you can’t get an answer there. They have catalogs dating all the way back to the 1960s under the “Service” section.

Last edited:
My blunder, I meant 2.5 centimeters
Welcome aboard!

2.5 mm is awfully small, I think the smallest motor currently available is a 6mm diameter and that’s equivalent to a 1/8A.

There are a number of 25mm rockets though, that’s a pretty standard body tube size. Estes designated that tube as the BT-50, usually a rocket built around that will have an 18mm (interior diameter) motor mount and will run on motors as small as a 1/2A and as large as a D. Are you sure that that decimal point placement and units are correct?

If it is indeed a BT-50 or similar, any of those noses should do. I build my rockets pretty ugly, so I wouldn’t mind mixing up noses. If you’re looking for a specific kit, you may want to look at the Estes website if you can’t get an answer there. They have catalogs dating all the way back to the 1960s under the “Service” section.
BT-50 ! Thanks for your help! I knew I had asked the right folks!

My blunder, I meant 2.5 centimeters

BT-50 ! Thanks for your help! I knew I had asked the right folks!
You’re welcome!

To clarify, the BT-50 is a standard body tube size, not the name of a specific kit. There are also BT-5s, BT-20s, BT-55s, BT-60s, and a lot of others. These sizes are what Estes designs their kits around. The classic Alpha, for example, has the same body tube diameter as something like the Ghost Chaser. The lower, wider portion, anyway.

This produces some interchangeability in manufacturing.

Kind of looks like an Honest John to me, but it only has 3 fins. Even if it isn't an Honest John, that might be a good nosecone to put on it, as it fits the overall aesthetic, I think. Not the current mini-Honest John, just to be clear, but one of the older variants - there are quite a few.

Anyway, put whatever on it you like and enjoy putting an old bird back in flight!

Welcome to the forum!

Sandy.

Back