Hello fellow rocketry peoples!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbied186

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I've been into rocketry since 1998ish. My first kit was an estes Mighty Mites set and that was the gateway for me! I've recently gotten the rocket bug again and from the pictures you can definitely tell. I'm currently around the Okeechobee Florida area closer to Ft Myers. Haven't flown one in about 12ish years. Last time I flew was at TTRA in Plant City Florida. I also found out that club is Tripoli and NAR now! Just got my RMS motors and hardware in the mail today. Never built an Aerotech kit yet so looking forward to it. Got the motor reloads and Cheetah rocket from hobbylincs sale last week. Got the hardware on ebay. Also I probably shouldn't be let loose in Hobby Lobby. I do have some more rockets in my fleet(half are in sick bay) and rocket related stuff not pictured yet. Also I'm not sure if Tripoli Ft Myers is still active or not if any of you know. If any of you are local to me and have a field to fly in let me know. Just saying hi.

Attachments

• 20230204_163000.jpg
    20230204_163000.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230204_163004.jpg
    20230204_163004.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230204_163008.jpg
    20230204_163008.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230204_163011.jpg
    20230204_163011.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230204_163013.jpg
    20230204_163013.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230204_163024.jpg
    20230204_163024.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Very nice! I especially like the look of that Cheetah, I’ve got an Astrobee D that I’m building for Level 1.

Looks like Tripoli Fort Meyers is still listed on the prefecture map.

https://www.tripoli.org/content.aspx?page_id=225&club_id=795696
Astrobee D gonna fly! I assuming an H? Do you need to reinforce it or use electronics? I've been eyeballing the Arreaux for years now. I'll see how the build goes and my next kit might be a LOC kit. One day when I'm feeling cool I might go for my Level 1.

Astrobee D gonna fly! I assuming an H? Do you need to reinforce it or use electronics? I've been eyeballing the Arreaux for years now. I'll see how the build goes and my next kit might be a LOC kit. One day when I'm feeling cool I might go for my Level 1.
The simulation indicates about 2200 ft. I’ve got a nice field and I’ve gone higher than that on a converted Hi-Flier XL running on staged E motors. I might stick a camera and altimeter in it but no dual deployment.

Construction is pretty sturdy, an H115DM should work fine. I plan to do test flights on F and G motors first, as it’s light enough for this. It recovers in two pieces so it’s basically immune to damage that the nose cone might otherwise inflict on the fins during or after ejection.

Generally on a certification flight you want simplicity, easy recovery, and resistance to damage more than anything. Something relatively heavy and draggy should be fine. You don’t need a minimum-diameter altitude demon. If you can test fly it on a G and keep it under 1000, that’s what I consider ideal.

Last edited:
The simulation indicates about 2200 ft. I’ve got a nice field and I’ve gone higher than that on a converted Hi-Flier XL running on staged E motors. I might stick a camera and altimeter in it but no dual deployment.

Construction is pretty sturdy, an H115DM should work fine. I plan to do test flights on F and G motors first, as it’s light enough for this. It recovers in two pieces so it’s basically immune to damage that the nose cone might otherwise inflict on the fins during or after ejection.

Generally on a certification flight you want simplicity, easy recovery, and resistance to damage more than anything. Something relatively heavy and draggy should be fine. You don’t need a minimum-diameter altitude demon. If you can test fly it on a G and keep it under 1000, that’s what I consider ideal.
Low and slow is what I keep hearing for cert flights. I flew a G on a scratch build rocket out of estes parts. Several coats of paint and polyurethane with no rocksim. Had a keychain ebay camera in it. Probably went about 300ft and bye bye fins and back end. I learned to not underestimate G motors.

Welcome! Nice collection. Just got my Level 1 last year. Level 2 for this year. HPR is rocket science and the learning is as fun as the flying!
Good luck on the Level 2! You guys are making me want to get my Level certs. We'll see in time. Gotta find a place to fly high. I gotta learn electronics and payloads. I'll probably go with a fiberglass 38mm kit.

Welcome back!

You're gonna love building that Aerotech kit, another gateway! They scream on G motors, great fun and nail biting. Big enough for dual deploy and tracking if you really want to. No need to get a L1 to enjoy those tricks.
I've been a fan of the Aerotech kits for years just haven't built one yet 😅. I've only worked with Estes kits and parts. Aerotech seemed like a good choice to go the next step. Got any building tips? I keep hearing about CA glue but isn't that superglue? I've learned my lesson from using superglue and now use good ol' elmers and epoxy.

Got any building tips? I keep hearing about CA glue but isn't that superglue?

I build mine stock*, straight by the instructions. I kindly suggest you do your first one this way and decide for yourself if there's anything you want to change on the next one. I bet you will love it.

Super glue is CA, but I use the hobby store brands because they come in various thicknesses, which can make a big difference when building a rocket. Medium CA for the fin can, just like Aerotech says. It presses out into a nice film without running (much). I treat the ends of all tubes with thin CA for durability.

You can get those from Hobby Lobby, but it sounds like you might need supervision in there 😆.

*except for mounting the coupler with 2-3 screws instead of gluing in place. If you decide to add dual deployment later, it's an easier retrofit.

Back