Hello! (and question)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauptmann

Reaction score
Seems like several people are introducing themselves, so I might as well throw my hat in the launch area too!

My rocketry history is a very common one. I got started as a kid building Estes and Ceuturi kits, then drifted away from the hobby around high school. I got back into it about 2 years ago with my son, and I was hooked once again!

I've mostly focused on LPR stuff. Tried a few Aerotech kits and for me, bigger wasn't really better. Lately, I've been obsessed with cloning the oldies. I've done an Orbital Transport and an Alien Explorer (what a beauty!) and I just started work on a Scissor-wing Transport.

I'll end with a question: anybody tried using Bondo glazing putty to fill balsa grain? I've heard some swear by it.

Thanks guys, I look forward to posting here. Oh, and Happy 4th to all!

Welcome to the forum, Hauptmann.

There are a number of folks in the forum who know a whole lot more than I, so you're bound to get answers from them too.

But yes, I've used the spot Bondo that comes in a tube. It works very well. However, it might hinder the bond between fins and airframe if you apply it to the fins first and then try to glue them onto the airframe. If you attach the fins first and then fill the grain after the adhesive agent you're using has cured, you can't go wrong.

Welcome!

I've heard of people using Bondo for this. Most (I think) use Elmer's Fill & Finish. Not sure how different they really are, but either one should work.

As Blip said, If you fill the grain before attaching the fins, don't gety any on the gluing surface.

Your scratch build projects sound very interesting. Please take some pics and show them off!! We LOVE pics! :D

Jason

Jase has hit on a very good point that I failed to mention.

The Bondo product has a number of chemicals in it that are toxic. Breathing the vapors, even with adequate ventilation of the work area, is not good. And neither is handling the material with your bare hands.
The Elmers product he mentioned, is far superior in that respect. You can apply it with your fingers if you want, can clean up any mess with water, its vapors are harmless and . . . you don't have to worry about the adhesion problems either.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of the bonding problem. I guess if you don't fill the fin surface that bonds to the tube the fin will stick, but you're still left with the problem of the fillets bonding to the fin surface...

Oh, I'll try to post some pics of the OT and Alien explorer...BEFORE I fly them, of course!

Glad to hear that someone else loves just LPR and cloneing, (my first love).

I also do a lot of "scale" stuff too. Check out my pics in the various forums...I never know exactly where to put them.

Take some pics of your stuff and post them...these guys all seem to be "picture junkies". The more pictures you post the happier they are.

Welcome aboard.

sandman

One further comment about Fill N Finish. If you should somehow drop the container you store it in after you have just added some water to thin it out, pray that it doesn't splash over onto the refrigerator where resides your daughter's treasured photo of herself onstage at the school "talent" show. It's a BITCH to get off of pictures, especially once it's had a chance to dry.
Just the requisite FYI.
(I wouldn't drink it either.)

Yup, the kind of experience that I hope to avoid in the future. (I wonder if sanding it off the picture will work?):D

Originally posted by Hauptmann

[snip]

I'll end with a question: anybody tried using Bondo glazing putty to fill balsa grain? I've heard some swear by it.

I swear by this stuff, but I only use it to smooth out fillets, fill dings, etc. For balsa filling, I've sworn by AeroGloss sanding sealer. Recently, I picked up some Fill 'n' Finish, but I'm too new at using it to claim its benefits over sanding sealer.

In addition to Bondo Glazing Putty (also called Spot Putty), I've used the Squadron Putty found in hobby stores. Both work well, but the Bondo is definitely cheaper. I buy it at automotive department at Kmart.

Also, like "sandman", glad to hear about your interest in LPR and cloning -- me too!

Originally posted by Lee Reep

For balsa filling, I've sworn by AeroGloss sanding sealer.

Wow, I figured I was about the only person in the world that still used the stuff. Now I don't feel so bad. ;)

Actually, I had a change of heart working on the Orbital Transport clone. With all those hard-to-reach places, I wanted something I'd only have to sand once. I used Micro-Fill mixed with a bit of water (maintaining the right consistency was tricky). Still took forever to sand that one coat...

my 2cents. spot putty is VERY heavy..
I use bondo spot putty on tube sprirals .
this stuff is quite heavy compared to fill n finish so I would not use this on fins myself.
I found thinned fill and finish works fantastic on fins.

any hardware or craft store next to the wood glues
it's an elmers brand filler it comes in a small tub with an orange lid
i use the type for dark wood because i can see better where i've sanded.
you have to add a little water to get the milkshake consistency
and just brush it on .drys fast....I love it

Originally posted by gothique_97
I'm going to ask an air-headed question: where does one get fill'n'finish?

I had a hard time finding it when I first heard about it last year, but I recently bought some in the paint department of Kmart. A small "tub" (several ounces) was less than $2, and since you typically thin with water, it should last quite awhile.

Also, Elmers changed the name of the product once or twice, which made it confusing to find. The tub I bought is white (looks like Elmers product) with an orange lid.

Back