Heli-Bomber--- RSO-Proof? Optional Bombs Away! (or not) You Choose!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, if available would you buy a kit that comes with
Air Brake Recovery (no wadding required)
Drops a lightweight "bomb" at Apogee which comes down safely under a streamer safely and is easily found
(option to NOT drop the bomb, for more more restrictive RSOs or Field Owners)
Not a competition model, so you can paint it or fly it nekkid (here it is finished with Mylar Tape, I am guessing this added a lot of weight)
Requires no wadding, but does require two #16 rubber bands for every flight, additional 4 #16 rubber bands say every 10 flights.
Flies on 18 mm motors
????

Okay, the "Bomb" is a motor casing, in fact it is THE motor casing that launched the rocket, BUT it has a streamer on it, so it falls safety (not that a tumbling 18 mm empty motor casing is going to hurt anybody even WITHOUT a streamer, but I digress)

The streamer makes it fall slowly
Also makes it easy to find and recover after launch, so you won't be leaving empty casings on the field which MIGHT cause problems with landowners or lawnmowers or whatnot.
Streamer is cheap, it's just a flameproof party streamer, comes in pack of two at Dollar store and will last just about forever.

For the "tight" RSOs, there is an option for motor retention. You can see the motor hanging next to Lucy, the Rocket Dog. Lucy is a RINO (Retriever In Name Only, she refuses to fetch rockets. Interestingly, the ONLY time she EVER barks is during Rocket Launch countdowns. I mean just about ever. Okay, once she barked at the Salvation Army Bell Ringer, but that's just about it. Ever. But again I digress.) Anyhoo, it is easy to clip onto the central dowel, and the motor is retained and it all comes down in one piece.

Parts:

1 sheet of 4" x 36" x 1/8" balsa
One small wooden dowel (I used a wood skewer)
Duct tape
Cotton Thread or Dental Floss.
4 used Estes "Solar" starters
Two toothpicks
Mylar tape or aluminum foil
Throw away mail advertisement (used to make the nose pyramid. You could also just use a cereal box.)
1.5 inch segment of BT-20 body tube.
4 1.5" carbon fiber rods (could probably just use coat-hanger wires.

HeliBomberRetainDeploySide.jpgHeliBomberRetainedDeployed.jpgHeliBomberRetentionDevice.jpgHeliBomberPad.jpg
This video was still low DEF when I posted it, hopefully it will clean up in a few minutes. This video is the one that Drops Da Bomb!

Watch this video at 31 seconds, it will come back into view. This is with motor retention, so it all comes down as one piece.

Nice. I wonder if Rocket Dog hears a high-frequency whine from the launch electronics.

Back