Hedgehogs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardw

Reaction score
Anyone here have a hedgehog? I'm just looking for people's opinions about them as pets. My wife and I are thinking about them as a future pet and wanted to know more about them.

Edward

I never heard of anyone keeping a hedgehog as a pet!

Are we talking about the same kind of things here? Small rodentish thing with spines that rolls up into a ball for self defence?

Yep - small animal with 'quills'. People over here (US) keep them as pets. Quite a following. They even have hedgehog shows.

Edward

From the subject I thought we were going to discuss those electric hedge trimmers by Black & Decker. I like mine. Doesn't eat as much as the animal variety.

I thought he was going to talk about the Hedgehog rocket from WW2.:p

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
I never heard of anyone keeping a hedgehog as a pet!
Are we talking about the same kind of things here? Small rodentish thing with spines that rolls up into a ball for self defence?

Not a very flattering description of Mrs Tiggywinkle :eek:

We have loads round the back of the house (and hibernating under the shed/kennel ), they're very cute. I can see why some people would keep them. Are they bred for pets in the US? or caught in the wild?

About 8 years ago we had one, they are quite fun to play with as long as you have gloves on. They are very good climbers, keep a screen AND a brick on top of the cage. We just had a screen and no brick, it got out and managed its way down a 8 ft. cinderblock wall alive. We found it a week later, he (or she) was fine. We only kept it for about a year though and sold it. If you can get one and want one, then go for it.

Originally posted by North Star
Not a very flattering description of Mrs Tiggywinkle :eek:

Accurate though ;-)

We have loads round the back of the house (and hibernating under the shed/kennel ), they're very cute. I can see why some people would keep them. Are they bred for pets in the US? or caught in the wild?

I have a bit of a soft spot for hedgehogs, just never considered them as a pet before. Are they kept in hutches? Runs? Indoors? Outdoors?

We have had them living in the garden, and caught them eating the cats' food.

A friend of mine from a while back used to breed and raise pygmy hedgies. These are even smaller than the regular ones (hence the "pygmy" part of their name). So small that they could very easily curl up in the palm of your hand. Here's a pic:
pygmy hedgehog

From what I hear, they make pretty good pets, if you can keep them healthy.

WW

Hedgehogs aren't native to the US - people breed them as pets. From what I've read they are pretty low maintence, food, water and some room to roam around. They don't bark or need to go on walks. Most people keep them in hutches at night and then let them roam when they are home. Cat food is what they recommend you feed them - so no wonder the ones you had found that to be tasty.

Edward

My wife had one, when we firsat met..

she says:

Ahh... get them when they are young, and handle them a lot.. If you're squeemish about the spines / quills, then don't bother. They love to eat meal worms and king worms (some grub type bug things) but it is good to feed them dry 'low cal' cat food. I also made a excersise wheel for them, by modifying a 'rat' wheel, covering the 'running surface' with fine grit sand paper (keeps the toes nails short). They need the surface, as they will put their feet though the bars. You'll have to change the paper often, as they, uhm , pooh, as they run. watch long / loose hairs as mine got some of my hair wrapped around a toe, and it got infected.. They grunt and huff & puff a lot.. (it's their 'happy sound') If you are worried about socialization, they are fine on their own, but socialize with it a lot to get it to know you. And, remember, they are nocturnal, so they'll be more active at night.. I didn't have any previous experience with mine, when I first got him, and I was weary about handeling him, which I regret. I find them interesting animals but I probably wouldn't get another one in the future.

I had one about 5 years ago and i really enjoyed him but he passed away and i still have some quills around some where from him but he was cool

also the bedding saw dust isnt a good idea because it breaks down and the dust makes them sneeze. Just keep a good supply of meal worms. They love em

Back