Heavy Cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
I'm finishing up a 3x18mm cluster bird and it's coming out heavy.
Right now, without chute, engines and paint, it's running over 9 ounces. I figure painted and fully loaded it's going to push 14 oz.

I figure the only choices I'll have for motors are Estes C6 & C5, AT D21 and Apogee C10 and D10.

Would three of any of these lift it safely? It's a show bird, so I'm not interested in altitude, just safety.

I flew my modified Quest Icarus (Eye in the Sky 4, I think :)) on a Estes D12, with 3 C6 outboards carrying a video camera. Mine was probably around that wieght fully loaded and I had no problems. Liftoff was quick and smokey and apogee was probably around 800'. Can you post picks of your cluster? Cluster rockets and video rockets are my favorite! :D

Most certianly 3 D21's, even in a good breeze. C 5's would be better than C 6's considering weathercocking. C 6 would be fine in no wind. It all depends on the wind.......and , of course, stability.

Originally posted by GGoldy
Most certianly 3 D21's, even in a good breeze. C 5's would be better than C 6's considering weathercocking. C 6 would be fine in no wind. It all depends on the wind.......and , of course, stability.

Stability is going to be just barely over 1 caliber with chute. I put in a baffle so that the chute wouldn't slip down and move the CG aft. Weathercocking shouldn't be a problem, but tip-off might. Best to get it up to speed quickly; I'd best start with C5s.

Back